The Student Room Group

Sadiq Khan: There are too many "white men" on Transport for London

London's transport authority is far too dominated by white men, Labour's mayoral candidate Sadiq Khan said today.

There are currently 13 white men on the Transport for London board and just three women. Khan said he would ensure the board better reflected the "diversity" of Londoners if he becomes mayor.

"I will reshape TfL's board," he said during a speech in Brixton this morning."It needs to better reflect London's diversity in the interest of Londoners.

Did you know there are 16 people on the board of TfL?

Read More:
http://www.politics.co.uk/news/2016/03/30/sadiq-khan-there-are-too-many-white-men-on-transport-for-lon

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Already?
God-forbid people be appointed to the board on merit, rather than pigmentation or genitalia.
Diversity for the sake of diversity infuriates me. People should be appointed based solely on whether they are best for the position and should have nothing to do with their race, genitalia, religion or sexual orientation!
Reply 4
Final nail in the coffin for the remaining white people in London. White-flight here we come.
Everything under Sadiq is going to be about quota filling. Anyone who voted for him thinking otherwise is an idiot.
Original post by tengentoppa
God-forbid people be appointed to the board on merit, rather than pigmentation or genitalia.

Don't underestimate the psychological, implicit barriers of being a minority.
Original post by Twinpeaks

The answer to this is improving social mobility from the ground though, not sticking people in jobs they aren't qualified to do just because they're part of a minority group.
He's already pulling a "Trudeau".

He's picking TFL's staff based on diversity and not skill "because it's 2016" (note: satire).

This is why I voted Green Party, not because I support them, but because I didn't want to vote for Labour or the Tories.
surely he can't really say that?
I wonder if his voters are feeling stupid yet, or if they're saving that for when we really get to see what he has to say.
Reply 11
So quota systems are a thing now? We need equal percentage of every culture/religion/ethnicity and of course 33.3/33.3/33.3% split for men:women:transsexuals
Reply 12
Original post by MildredMalone
I wonder if his voters are feeling stupid yet, or if they're saving that for when we really get to see what he has to say.

You do realise his voters support this lol?

But mayors have hardly any power anyway so we will see
Original post by MildredMalone

They won't feel stupid sadly because they wanted this, it was inevitable and the idiots voted for it anyway
Original post by Twinpeaks

Too many white men, too many many white men, too many white men, too many many white men. Sorry.

But to be honest, this is stupid. Jobs and stuff should go to people based on their skill, not their colour/ religion.
- woke up yesterday hoping Goldie had won
- turns out Sadiq won. Oh well he doesn't look too bad
- not really caring about Sadiq being mayor

- sees this thread

Spoiler

Original post by infairverona
Everything under Sadiq is going to be about quota filling. Anyone who voted for him thinking otherwise is an idiot.

Surely, there are merits to quota filling. Having more women on the TFL board should help to improve women and their leadership profile. Regardless of race, for a board that has just 3 women, the TFL is basically telling women to "go back to the kitchen". This is because I am certain that there may be more qualified women to be on that board than those men.

To me, I think there are merits to quota filling in certain situations, where women and ethnic minorities are not represented. If not, we can all go back to 1836.
Original post by Wired_1800
Surely, there are merits to quota filling. Having more women on the TFL board should help to improve women and their leadership profile. Regardless of race, for a board that has just 3 women, the TFL is basically telling women to "go back to the kitchen". This is because I am certain that there may be more qualified women to be on that board than those men.

To me, I think there are merits to quota filling in certain situations, where women and ethnic minorities are not represented. If not, we can all go back to 1836.

As a woman, I can't think of anything worse than being offered a job I'm not the best applicant for simply because I am a woman. If there is someone else who is a better applicant and they happen to be male, they deserve the job more than I do. Maybe not many women want to work for TFL? in my experience of getting TFL for work every day, it is an absolutely dire service and I can't think of anything worse than working for them. I think there is a danger to assuming that because there are not a lot of women working for TFL, that means we are stopping them from doing so. This assumption is made frequently where women or other minorities are not in certain fields or positions and never comes along with statistics about how many minorities actually apply for those jobs. In my view it's more outdated to say 'let's have a woman because we should' it's very patronising.
Original post by infairverona
They won't feel stupid sadly because they wanted this, it was inevitable and the idiots voted for it anyway

I think that even if Mayor Khan chose to improve the welfare of women like you, you will still not like him.

Give him a chance to prove himself. I am sure that you will want other people to give you the chance to prove yourself.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending