The Student Room Group

How can I understand foreign accents more?

I have a lot of trouble understanding people with foreign accents, it feels like I may end up in trouble when I have to keep saying "what?" again and again.

People I know seem to be confused since I'm half asian but I was raised by mainly by my mum and grandad on the white side and all the people on my asian side have posh accents.

I just wanna learn how to understand them more before I start coming off as a brown marjorie dawes from Little Britain.
Reply 1
Original post by Longshot800
I have a lot of trouble understanding people with foreign accents, it feels like I may end up in trouble when I have to keep saying "what?" again and again.

People I know seem to be confused since I'm half asian but I was raised by mainly by my mum and grandad on the white side and all the people on my asian side have posh accents.

I just wanna learn how to understand them more before I start coming off as a brown marjorie dawes from Little Britain.

One really good way of doing that is listening to some news service in that language. Don't be nervous or embarrassed when talking to people. Make mistakes, you won't ever learn if you don't make mistakes. Years ago I used to be terrible when it came to accents, but excessive interaction with those that sported that accent made me better. :yep: Good luck!!
Interacting with people or listening to people with foreign accents will help you understand it better. At uni for example, with plenty of international students, I learnt to understand them better

Quick Reply

Latest