The Student Room Group

Can I still get into Uni with a C in GCSE Maths?

I'm about to do a higher paper to try and achieve a B in Maths, but I'm wondering if the worst comes to the worst and I don't get it: will I still be able to go to Uni? (Looking at Exeter if that helps)

Scroll to see replies

Yeah, you probably might, but all is dependent on your course. Alot of Uni's do require a B as a minimum requirement, so make that a higher priority. A "C" is considered a pass but you know, realistically, for Universities its considered a fail.
Which course are you hoping to study? Some courses require a B or higher in GCSE maths :smile:
Most universities don't care about GCSE's as long as you have 5 A*-C you should be fine. The best Universities have students who usually got numerous A*s and A's at GCSE but that doesn't mean those grades are a requirement.

If you're thinking of doing a degree in Maths you'd be expected to have at least a B probably.
Depends on what you want to go into and the degree. If the degree of your choice is English based a C in maths would be fine whereas if its Maths and I.T based they might require a B
Reply 5
Original post by Oblivion99
Yeah, you probably might, but all is dependent on your course. Alot of Uni's do require a B as a minimum requirement, so make that a higher priority. A "C" is considered a pass but you know, realistically, for Universities its considered a fail.

I'm hoping because I'm looking towards the Arts degrees that GCSE Maths won't even be a problem, but I'm trying to find out whether it might be. If I did A Level and did really well do you think they'd just ignore the C in Maths? I really want to achieve a B in the Higher Paper but I want to know my options if it doesn't go as planned.
Reply 6
Original post by Leviathan1741
Which course are you hoping to study? Some courses require a B or higher in GCSE maths :smile:

In terms of courses at Uni I was looking towards English/Film Studies/History, but I'm worried they'll still need that B in GCSE Maths.
Original post by twhiddy
I'm hoping because I'm looking towards the Arts degrees that GCSE Maths won't even be a problem, but I'm trying to find out whether it might be. If I did A Level and did really well do you think they'd just ignore the C in Maths? I really want to achieve a B in the Higher Paper but I want to know my options if it doesn't go as planned.

You should be, but for something like Medicine you need an A* in A Level Chem, when it doesen't even come in handy for the degree. Certain GCSE requirements are made to single you out from other candidates, they have no relation whatsoever to your degree but to you as a person, when they come to judge you for a place. However, they will accept you. I know people who got in with C's so don't be too down-hearted! All the best :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by PrinceProsperity
Most universities don't care about GCSE's as long as you have 5 A*-C you should be fine. The best Universities have students who usually got numerous A*s and A's at GCSE but that doesn't mean those grades are a requirement.

If you're thinking of doing a degree in Maths you'd be expected to have at least a B probably.

Definitely not a Maths degree I can promise you that! :smile: I was thinking more of an English based degree, but if I want to go to a well respected University they might want a B in Maths as a requirement. I don't know, perhaps I'm being silly but I just don't want to risk anything.
Original post by twhiddy
In terms of courses at Uni I was looking towards English/Film Studies/History, but I'm worried they'll still need that B in GCSE Maths.

In that case, I don't think having a C grade in Maths would stop you from getting in, I think having at least a B in English would be more important :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by Tenisha1999
Depends on what you want to go into and the degree. If the degree of your choice is English based a C in maths would be fine whereas if its Maths and I.T based they might require a B

I'm looking into a English based degree, so I was hoping they wouldn't mind so much about Maths. Yet I have the feeling if it's a somewhat well respected Uni they might look for small flaws in my application, such as this C in GCSE Maths.
Original post by twhiddy
I'm looking into a English based degree, so I was hoping they wouldn't mind so much about Maths. Yet I have the feeling if it's a somewhat well respected Uni they might look for small flaws in my application, such as this C in GCSE Maths.

I highly doubt they'd care about Maths as long as you've passed it, so I don't think you have anything to worry about :smile:
Reply 12
In that case, I don't think having a C grade in Maths would stop you from getting in, I think having at least a B in English would be more important :smile:

Thank you for your help, a weight lifted off my shoulders! :smile:
Original post by twhiddy

Exeter is my insurance for a degree in English Literature :smile: for them in particular, GCSE's are looked at in the context of the school. As long as you get at least a C in maths and good grades in your humanities subjects, you're definitely in with a shot :smile: x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by Oblivion99
You should be, but for something like Medicine you need an A* in A Level Chem, when it doesen't even come in handy for the degree. Certain GCSE requirements are made to single you out from other candidates, they have no relation whatsoever to your degree but to you as a person, when they come to judge you for a place. However, they will accept you. I know people who got in with C's so don't be too down-hearted! All the best :smile:

Thank you! It's really a reassurance so thank you so much :smile:

That logic makes a lot more sense, thank you for that :smile: I hadn't thought of it in that way, it's really a weight lifted off my shoulders :smile:
Original post by twhiddy
Thank you for your help, a weight lifted off my shoulders! :smile:

No problem! Check the entry requirements to make sure, and then try and get that B! :biggrin:
Reply 16
Original post by emsybearboho
Exeter is my insurance for a degree in English Literature :smile: for them in particular, GCSE's are looked at in the context of the school. As long as you get at least a C in maths and good grades in your humanities subjects, you're definitely in with a shot :smile: x

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you! Do you think the same applies for Science? I'm predicted a C in all sciences aswell, and I'm hoping aswell they won't mind about GCSE Science because there is nothing to do with science concerning an English degree.
Original post by twhiddy
Thank you! Do you think the same applies for Science? I'm predicted a C in all sciences aswell, and I'm hoping aswell they won't mind about GCSE Science because there is nothing to do with science concerning an English degree.

In my experience it's definitely the case - basically as long as you do well in the subjects you intend to do at A level that is the most important thing, as that provides evidence you are capable of meeting their offer :smile: English, history, RE, languages, those kinds of subjects are more significant than maths and science. Remember, the application is assessed holistically, so if you had a good personal statement and reference etc those things would work in your favour :smile: PM me if you have any questions about Exeter, or applying for English :smile: x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
No problem! Check the entry requirements to make sure, and then try and get that B! :biggrin:

The entry requirements ask for an A in English Literature, which is my predicted grade and in terms of other subjects it says little, so cross fingers I won't get a nasty surprise with another requirement when I apply in a few years!
Reply 19
Original post by emsybearboho
In my experience it's definitely the case - basically as long as you do well in the subjects you intend to do at A level that is the most important thing, as that provides evidence you are capable of meeting their offer :smile: English, history, RE, languages, those kinds of subjects are more significant than maths and science. Remember, the application is assessed holistically, so if you had a good personal statement and reference etc those things would work in your favour :smile: PM me if you have any questions about Exeter, or applying for English :smile: x

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you! I desperately want to go to Exeter, I hope I can meet the entry requirements in a few years time :smile: The requirements for English are so high! I suppose it's not surprising considering how many applicants Exeter must get every year for the subject! Although when I looked at a joint degree for English and Film Studies the requirements were significantly lower!

Quick Reply

Latest