The Student Room Group

Special Consideration

Basically, I was in hospital for a week two months ago - I spent 3 days in a coma (5 days in intensive care) and had to be resuscitated twice. As if that wasn't bad enough I was diagnosed with depression (which I actually had looooong before I was in hospital) and I was wondering if I would get special consideration? And if I would, how much? I was given an extension for my coursework, considering I was actually unconscious on the deadline XD.I'm not actually being treated (e.g. antidepressants, councilling) for depression because my Dr said she didn't want all the appointments with the mental health team to interfere with my exams or for the meds to suddenly have a bad effect etc. but I am taking meds for the anxiety I have too....If it's on a subject basis I take history, chemistry, maths and Latin. My tutor at college has already applied but I was still wondering if I'd get it? Thanks
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

You can also find the Exam Thread list for A-levels here and GCSE here. :dumbells:

Just quoting in Puddles the Monkey so she can move the thread if needed :h:

Spoiler

Original post by i_dontreallyknow
Basically, I was in hospital for a week two months ago - I spent 3 days in a coma (5 days in intensive care) and had to be resuscitated twice. As if that wasn't bad enough I was diagnosed with depression (which I actually had looooong before I was in hospital) and I was wondering if I would get special consideration? And if I would, how much? I was given an extension for my coursework, considering I was actually unconscious on the deadline XD.I'm not actually being treated (e.g. antidepressants, councilling) for depression because my Dr said she didn't want all the appointments with the mental health team to interfere with my exams or for the meds to suddenly have a bad effect etc. but I am taking meds for the anxiety I have too....If it's on a subject basis I take history, chemistry, maths and Latin. My tutor at college has already applied but I was still wondering if I'd get it? Thanks

Hi, sorry to hear about all of that and yeah I reckon you would 99% out of 100 get consideration considering the circumstances.
Let us know if you do or not!
Reply 3
Original post by i_dontreallyknow

There is a common misconception about special consideration. It isn't awarded as a sympathy thing, or because you have missed part of the course. It is only awarded because something at the time of the assessment prevents you from displaying all the knowledge you have gained. About the first question on the application is 'has the candidate completed the course?' The maximum that is awarded is 5% and 2-3% is much more common, so it's never going to make a massive difference.
Original post by Compost
There is a common misconception about special consideration. It isn't awarded as a sympathy thing, or because you have missed part of the course. It is only awarded because something at the time of the assessment prevents you from displaying all the knowledge you have gained. About the first question on the application is 'has the candidate completed the course?' The maximum that is awarded is 5% and 2-3% is much more common, so it's never going to make a massive difference.

So if my anxiety or depression or whatever is wrong with my brain (that put me in hospital) were to flare up on the exam day/in the exam I'd be more likely to get it? A friend of mine had two weeks off for surgery in December 2014 and he still got an extra 5% in his exams :/. But then a girl in my biology last year had a seizure halfway through the actual exam and got nothing -_-, all that happened were the people in her row got extra time....hopefully I won't need it anyway (though every little helps XD)

Quick Reply

Latest