The Student Room Group

Why are the left overly joyed with the fact we have a Muslim mayor?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by *Alisha*
Maybe because all the ISIS stuff, it would be impossible for him to win as he's a Muslim so people would be like he's a terrorist and all but he won sooo.

A really poor argument, the left are obsessed with the fact he is Muslim and I want to know why? Why do the left prefer a Muslim left winger over any other type of left winger?
It's a strong counter-example to the perceived anti-muslim narrative in the media.
Reply 42
Original post by phil5six
Because you can't look beyond race, that's your problem. The guy sounds as british as the next guy, and he is educated and well-qualified for the job. We should judge him by his merit, and he is British, what more do you want!

What are you going on about? Did you read my post? I said I wouldn't care if the left just celebrated the fact he was a left winger who won but instead they celebrate that he was a Muslim that won?

Why should being a Muslim make any difference? Why is being a Muslim so important to the role of mayor? Those are my questions

Try again and grow up
Reply 43
Original post by Kvothe the arcane
It's a strong counter-example to the perceived anti-muslim narrative in the media.

But the left are really really happy not because he is a left winger but because he is a Muslim and associates with Islam, why should being a Muslim be so important to being the mayor?
Original post by Omen96
But the left are really really happy not because he is a left winger but because he is a Muslim and associates with Islam, why should being a Muslim be so important to being the mayor?

If they are indeed oppressed then the post of UK's current most powerful Muslim is a sign of victory for the marginalised group.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 45
Original post by chemting
He is also the first mayor tp support Liverpool.

He is also the first mayor who wanted to be a dentist.

He is also the first mayor to be born in St George's Hospital

He is also the first mayor not to be called "Ken" or "Boris"

All the facts need to be presented.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If those are true why are 99.9% of the left celebrating the fact he is Muslim and associates with Islam? The fact his name is different or he support a certain team is irrelevant as the left are not celebrating those things. They are saying stuff like "hopefully now with a Muslim mayor we can see a real progressive London" and all this stuff...why is it relevant?
Reply 46
If they are indeed oppressed then the post of UK's current most powerful Muslim is a sign of victory for the marginalised group.

There are many actual and real marginalised groups in the UK, I don't need to point them out, why are the left more concerned about the Islamic community?

Do the left have a special relationship with Islam?
Reply 47
Original post by Clintbarton
Think about it.

Islam, in the media, is bad and is essentially the religion of terrorism. A follower of this 'bad' religion is the mayor of the capital of a progressive country.

They create hatred for a religion in the media then use it to their advantage to spark debates amongst the masses. They want to paint this image of a progressive country who are for integration, but will use his religion and race against him when something goes wrongly, just as they did with Obama.

The tories beat them to it, though, with his apparent 'ties to terrorism' which was revealed to be a load of *******s. Guess the media will be traipsing and digging through his families and his history to use for dirt on him when he inevitable gets dragged through the mud on the front pages when something goes wrong.

I wish him good luck. They are not fooling anyone with their new mayoral candidate because what influence does the mayor of London actually have on the political approach and laws of the country?

Look at Boris. What did he achieve?

Is Islam not a barbaric religion (like all religions)? What love and peace has Islam bought to this world? I say this as someone who hates religion before you go all ape.
Original post by Omen96
There are many actual and real marginalised groups in the UK, I don't need to point them out, why are the left more concerned about the Islamic community?

Do the left have a special relationship with Islam?

I just to point out that neither am I voice for the left nor are people on that side of the spectrum a homogeneous group :tongue:. Islam gets a lot of flak for actions committed by some of its more extreme members. There are those who feel the attention is undue and so the success of one of its members is praised as a good thing.

Beyond that though, I think they would react positively to the success of any "minority". Which is why you sometimes get people saying in America that people ought to vote for Hilary due to her genitals.
Original post by Omen96
A really poor argument, the left are obsessed with the fact he is Muslim and I want to know why? Why do the left prefer a Muslim left winger over any other type of left winger?

Well I don't really care then:smile:

Which is why you sometimes get people saying in America that people ought to vote for Hilary due to her genitals.

What a brilliant statement. Yes there is a lack of world leaders that are female, as well as within politics, but Hillary is literally a walking version of her genitals.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 51
Original post by Omen96

STOP obsessing about his muslimness.
Original post by Omen96
Is there a special connection between the left and Islam that I am missing?

Yes, there is

Original post by Clintbarton
White people are the real minority in terms of numbers...

...but... still manage to inspire fear and hatred, colonised the f*ck out of the world with their inherent superiority, forced a race they deemed as 'inferior ' because of the colour of the skin to participate in forced labour and mutilated/severely abused the people they had a 'power' over, segregated POC so insanely, make up most of the worlds governing body, think they have a right to interfere in the business of countries that they have no affiliations with...

But white people are still a minority 'in terms of numbers' despite the profound effect they've had on the world... Ok then.

Implying that the Arab slave trade wasn't one of the biggest and brutal the world has ever seen lol.

Implying that the Ottomans didn't rape, pillage and enslave their way across Eastern Europe for hundreds of years lol.
They hate western (White) civilization.
Reply 55
Original post by phil5six
STOP obsessing about his muslimness.

Surely the left are the ones obsessed as they are celebrating the fact a Muslim is mayor?
Original post by Omen96
Firstly, I knew he was going to win, it was guaranteed from the start, so I have no problem with the left celebrating a "left winger" winning, but that's not the case.

They are specifically celebrating that he as a "Muslim" won, they actually are turning his religion into the main story.

This forum is the best example but take social media, left wingers all over the country are celebrating the fact we have a Muslim mayor, they highlight the fact he is Muslim in particular. Left wingers are actually saying this is a win for Islam, what does that have to do with anything.

Why are the left more happy a Muslim left winger won, than any other type of left winger? That is the main question

Quite simple. At a time where many secular Muslims are being tarnished for the acts of extremists, it's great that there is a secular Muslim role model for all young Muslims out there.

Also great to see the Tories dog whistle, smear campaign fail miserably.
Original post by Bornblue
Quite simple. At a time where many secular Muslims are being tarnished for the acts of extremists, it's great that there is a secular Muslim role model for all young Muslims out there.

There is no way Khan is a muslim in any meaningful sense.
He did go on same platform as the extremists (which is bad).

The tories lost because of negativity.

Well done Labour - but it was a crap campaign by all sides. Calling Khan "First Muslim mayor" (obama moment) is nonsense - I'm more muslim than he is.

I bet he doesn't have one muslim bone in his body, he is 100% left leaning secular liberal. For crying out loud he has been de-muslimised by some clerics already for voting for same sex marriage.

muslim - yeah and pigs fly
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 58
Original post by Bornblue

Answer me one question- do you think Islam is a barbaric ideology? Putting aside the other religions which we all hate anyway
Original post by Omen96
Answer me one question- do you think Islam is a barbaric ideology? Putting aside the other religions which we all hate anyway

In its pure form absolutely. But Khan is a secular Muslim. It's a great example for other young Muslims out there to go the way of Khan, and not be tempted by extremism.

I'd also add having secular Muslims fight against the extremist element in ther religion is wonderful, especially if it encourages other young Muslims to do the same.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending