The Student Room Group

I am approaching the end of 2nd year and am not enjoying the uni I am at,what do I do

I am at a Scottish university, so I still have two more years to complete before graduating.

Basically, I chose my university simply because it was the best in the country for the course I wanted to do.

However, halfway through second year, I realised that I enjoyed an additional module I was doing far more, and was getting much better grades in it than I was in my actual degree. I managed to change my degree no problem.

I do not enjoy being at this university. It is far too small, everyone knows everyone and there is not much to do. I semi-knew this would be the case when coming, but because it is regarded as the best university for what I originally did, I thought it was a no brainer to choose to study here.

Now that I am doing another degree, it seems pointless to stay here. I don't enjoy it at all, and would be having a far better time in Glasgow or Edinburgh and getting a better education in my course.

I realise that it's my call to make, but I'm looking for a bit of advice: should I drop out and apply to Glasgow or Edinburgh for first year, or should I just get on with it? It's only two years, and the previous two would be a complete waste.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Have you talked to your tutor about this?

You need to consider how your funding would be affected.
Reply 2
Original post by Tiger Rag
Have you talked to your tutor about this?

You need to consider how your funding would be affected.

I spoke with my tutor a month ago. She agreed that it was probably best I left, as I am very unhappy here and this has lead to lack of motivation.

I have spoken to to SAAS (student funding for Scotland) and they believe that my reasons are legitimate enough to receive funding for 4 years (on top of the 2 I have already had).
Reply 3
Original post by Jack564709

I have spoken to to SAAS (student funding for Scotland) and they believe that my reasons are legitimate enough to receive funding for 4 years (on top of the 2 I have already had).

Beware that this is not quite as simple as it might have been portrayed.

In order to reclaim years of SF funding through the Compelling Personal Reasons process, you will need to provide written proof from a third party like a doctor, counsellor etc. This would need to state that you had been forced to leave your course due to circumstances beyond your control - usually something like a bereavement, illness, accident, depression etc. If you leave uni of your own accord without getting some kind of contact who could provide this proof, then you would not be able to claim CPR in the future.

I would advise seeing your doctor as soon as possible. Get something written into your medical notes about your current state of mind and the fact that uni life/study is causing it or making it worse. Make sure that you have some proof that you didn't just choose to leave your course because you didn't enjoy it or were a bit unhappy.

A letter from your uni saying that you'd left because you were unhappy, isn't likely to be sufficiently independent. They aren't in a position to fully evaluate your state of mind and decide what would be best for you. They also aren't an independent third party as it's in their interest for you to leave if you're likely to get a low grade or fail, which would affect their stats.
Be very careful about funding. What those people tell you over the phone isn't always accurate or final.

If I were you I would stay on your current course BUT find ways of turning this around into something more enjoyable and maintaining a support system.

It's quite common what you're going through but I'm sure that if you switched unis that your problems wouldn't disappear. You sound quite isolated and introverted - that won't fix itself if you change your scenery.

You have to work on yourself and how you're approaching your degree and university as a whole. You could go your whole life switching jobs and locations but it will never fix your problems.

Good luck.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by KatieBlogger
Be very careful about funding. What those people tell you over the phone isn't always accurate or final.

If I were you I would stay on your current course BUT find ways of turning this around into something more enjoyable and maintaining a support system.

It's quite common what you're going through but I'm sure that if you switched unis that your problems wouldn't disappear. You sound quite isolated and introverted - that won't fix itself if you change your scenery.

You have to work on yourself and how you're approaching your degree and university as a whole. You could go your whole life switching jobs and locations but it will never fix your problems.

Good luck.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the reply.

I wouldn't say I am introverted. I am just bored living where I am, it is no fun. I see the same people day in day out.

It's just boring here.
Reply 6
I am just bored living where I am, it is no fun. I see the same people day in day out.

It's just boring here.

I don't quite understand how you think this would improve if you left your current uni? These factors will be the same in another uni, in a job or if you sit at home unemployed. You can't just walk away from boring situations in life.

Most jobs are boring - even the ones which start out interesting will eventually become routine and you'll definitely be seeing the same people every day. But unless you win the lottery they're the only way of paying the bills and you'll be doing them for decades. Maybe uni is a good way of learning how to deal with the situation.

The more I think about it, the more I worry that the uni is agreeing that you should leave, especially if you've explained things as you've explained them here. It really does seem to be something which works far more in their favour than yours. They'd be rid of a potential problem, but as far as I can see, you'd just be out of the frying pan and into the fire.
Well, if I were in this situation it would depend on HOW bored I am... I this wasting the 2 years would really get to me.
But on the other hand, you can experience a BETTER Uni life, and you know how people say uni are the best years... so that puts you in a tricky situation.

Overall... I would perhaps leave I mean the 2 years is nothing compared to 'wasting' 4 years doing something you do not enjoy. I don't how this would practically work out, but if it is a fairly simple process transferring to something else then DO IT. DO WHAT YOU ENJOY.
If you're already on the right course, why can you not finish this year then transfer to another uni for your 3rd year, instead of starting from scratch? I think I'm missing something here.
Reply 9
Original post by Dusky Mauve
If you're already on the right course, why can you not finish this year then transfer to another uni for your 3rd year, instead of starting from scratch? I think I'm missing something here.

Strathclyde do not offer transfers.
Reply 10
Original post by Klix88
I don't quite understand how you think this would improve if you left your current uni? These factors will be the same in another uni, in a job or if you sit at home unemployed. You can't just walk away from boring situations in life.

Most jobs are boring - even the ones which start out interesting will eventually become routine and you'll definitely be seeing the same people every day. But unless you win the lottery they're the only way of paying the bills and you'll be doing them for decades. Maybe uni is a good way of learning how to deal with the situation.

The more I think about it, the more I worry that the uni is agreeing that you should leave, especially if you've explained things as you've explained them here. It really does seem to be something which works far more in their favour than yours. They'd be rid of a potential problem, but as far as I can see, you'd just be out of the frying pan and into the fire.

It's not really the university, more the town I study in. Town-life is not for me, I need to live in a city. I do not like the lack of things to do, seeing the same people all the time.
it sounds like youd be throwing it all away in all honesty. Better to finish the last two years knowing you're guaranteed to graduate on the new course you wanted especially as you've said its nothing to do with the uni just the small town.
Reply 12
It's not really the university, more the town I study in. Town-life is not for me, I need to live in a city. I do not like the lack of things to do, seeing the same people all the time.

These are not grounds for claiming Compelling Personal Reasons to have years of Student Finance entitlement reinstated. You therefore do not have enough years of funding left to start a new degree from scratch - you would have to fund the first year yourself. Either the SAAS rep you spoke to didn't fully understand why you were leaving uni, they aren't familiar with the CPR process (which is more common than you would imagine) or you have misunderstood what they told you.

The CPR process compensates for serious problems beyond your control. Boredom with your uni town life is not one of these.

I think your uni is trying to get rid of you, at the expense of you ever being able to get a degree (unless you can afford to self-fund for a year).
Reply 13
Original post by Klix88
These are not grounds for claiming Compelling Personal Reasons to have years of Student Finance entitlement reinstated. You therefore do not have enough years of funding left to start a new degree from scratch - you would have to fund the first year yourself. Either the SAAS rep you spoke to didn't fully understand why you were leaving uni, they aren't familiar with the CPR process (which is more common than you would imagine) or you have misunderstood what they told you.

The CPR process compensates for serious problems beyond your control. Boredom with your uni town life is not one of these.

I think your uni is trying to get rid of you, at the expense of you ever being able to get a degree (unless you can afford to self-fund for a year).

I am sure they would have a better idea than you.
I am at a Scottish university, so I still have two more years to complete before graduating.

Basically, I chose my university simply because it was the best in the country for the course I wanted to do.

However, halfway through second year, I realised that I enjoyed an additional module I was doing far more, and was getting much better grades in it than I was in my actual degree. I managed to change my degree no problem.

I do not enjoy being at this university. It is far too small, everyone knows everyone and there is not much to do. I semi-knew this would be the case when coming, but because it is regarded as the best university for what I originally did, I thought it was a no brainer to choose to study here.

Now that I am doing another degree, it seems pointless to stay here. I don't enjoy it at all, and would be having a far better time in Glasgow or Edinburgh and getting a better education in my course.

I realise that it's my call to make, but I'm looking for a bit of advice: should I drop out and apply to Glasgow or Edinburgh for first year, or should I just get on with it? It's only two years, and the previous two would be a complete waste.

Would you be able to speak to your advisor of studies about a transfer ? I know they are not common but if you expressed your feelings to them then maybe there might be an exception made.

Also I would contact Glasgow and Edinburgh and explain your circumstances to them. They might allow you to accept a place at their institution and would not require you to start from the beginning.

if you are not happy, then you should definitely at least try to switch unis, and if it isnt successful then it is your choice whether you want to continue at your current uni for the rest of the 2 years.

Hope things work out for you ! :smile:

Unless there is something you're not disclosing here then I think the other poster is probably right. Nothing that has been said on the phone is binding and you usually need really compelling reasons to get extra funding, we're not even talking normal anxiety/depression but serious mental health, physical health, bereavement etc.
Reply 16

Not in this instance I'm afraid. The CPR rules are very clear and what the SAAS rep told you doesn't stack up for your situation.

The uni are just looking out for themselves.

I think you're being very badly advised by SAAS and your uni. I wish you luck but you're in danger of making a critical decision based on incorrect information. I hope it works out.
Reply 17
Original post by evalilyXOX
Would you be able to speak to your advisor of studies about a transfer ? I know they are not common but if you expressed your feelings to them then maybe there might be an exception made.

Also I would contact Glasgow and Edinburgh and explain your circumstances to them. They might allow you to accept a place at their institution and would not require you to start from the beginning.

if you are not happy, then you should definitely at least try to switch unis, and if it isnt successful then it is your choice whether you want to continue at your current uni for the rest of the 2 years.

Hope things work out for you ! :smile:

Do you think I could potentially talk them into a transfer? Is that common?

I'm confused about what you said about changing course ect.

However, I think I get the general gist of it. I feel the same way actually... I think a lot of people do, they just don't show it.

The way I see it is... I could also change my degree and my university, but my problems will not go away. You see, my issue is I don't like the way we learn at university. For you, it's that the university it too small and there isn't much to do. I understand that, it's the same at my university as well.

But it's always a catch 22. Yes, you could move... But that doesn't guarantee that you'll have a better time... A lot of situations are dependant on the people we are with and our own personality. I know a lot of people at university enjoy it because when they're at home they're not allowed to stay out late or drink and what not. So, it all depends on your own personality...

You could move universities... Then what? You could get put in a flat of 4 people who don't even speak, then what? I'm not saying that will happen... I'm saying look at the bigger picture.

If you want to move, then yes move. If you're unhappy, move. But if you think you can stick it out, then stick it out... Ultimately I'm writing this based on what you've said... But no one will ever know the full situation.

As someone else said I feel the university are trying to get rid of you perhaps? I think seeing tutors is a waste of time, they don't really help at all.

Write down 5 reasons why you want to leave... Then see if you can improve them at your current university. What are the specific problems? Because you could move and experience the same thing. I don't want to make you feel down or anything... It's more from past experience, when we go to something new we often think it will be better... But that's not always the case.

Hope this helps and feel free to quote me so we can talk about it some more. :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by >Username<
I'm confused about what you said about changing course ect.

However, I think I get the general gist of it. I feel the same way actually... I think a lot of people do, they just don't show it.

The way I see it is... I could also change my degree and my university, but my problems will not go away. You see, my issue is I don't like the way we learn at university. For you, it's that the university it too small and there isn't much to do. I understand that, it's the same at my university as well.

But it's always a catch 22. Yes, you could move... But that doesn't guarantee that you'll have a better time... A lot of situations are dependant on the people we are with and our own personality. I know a lot of people at university enjoy it because when they're at home they're not allowed to stay out late or drink and what not. So, it all depends on your own personality...

You could move universities... Then what? You could get put in a flat of 4 people who don't even speak, then what? I'm not saying that will happen... I'm saying look at the bigger picture.

If you want to move, then yes move. If you're unhappy, move. But if you think you can stick it out, then stick it out... Ultimately I'm writing this based on what you've said... But no one will ever know the full situation.

As someone else said I feel the university are trying to get rid of you perhaps? I think seeing tutors is a waste of time, they don't really help at all.

Write down 5 reasons why you want to leave... Then see if you can improve them at your current university. What are the specific problems? Because you could move and experience the same thing. I don't want to make you feel down or anything... It's more from past experience, when we go to something new we often think it will be better... But that's not always the case.

Hope this helps and feel free to quote me so we can talk about it some more. :smile:

I changed my degree at the university I am currently am at. They let me do it, I just emailed them and they made me sign a form and that was that.

Nah, they're not trying to get rid of me. I usually get 1's or 2:1's - I've never had lower than a 2:1. My tutor tried to talk me out of it, then ended up agreeing that if I feel the way I do, I should probably leave.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending