The Student Room Group

What do you think of my chosen A-levels for a future career in law?

Hi!

I'm starting my A-Levels in September and whilst I have them mostly sorted, I thought I'd get a second opinion just to be sure.

So, I'm planning on going on to study Law at University and my chosen school has recommended I don't do the subject for an A-level. I know I should be taking at least one essay topic.

The three I've chosen are Government and Politics, Sociology, and History or an English.

Thoughts?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by beepboopbeep
Hi!

I'm starting my A-Levels in September and whilst I have them mostly sorted, I thought I'd get a second opinion just to be sure.

So, I'm planning on going on to study Law at University and my chosen school has recommended I don't do the subject for an A-level. I know I should be taking at least one essay topic.

The three I've chosen are Government and Politics, Sociology, and History or an English.

Thoughts?

They look mostly fine to me, possibly replace either Gov&Pol or Sociology with History or English as apparently unis don't recommend taking both of Gov&Pol and Sociology - they cover a similar field of study and there would be overlapping. History and English however are very facilitating and look great (providing you do well in them).

There are basically no rules for what A-Levels to take for pursuing law. A girl at my school did Maths, Physics, Chemistry, and Art and I think is now at Warwick doing Law.
Reply 2
I'm thinking Gov&Pol, History, and then something else. I'm really not that big of an English fan, so any other suggestions would be appreciated.
I'm thinking Gov&Pol, History, and then something else. I'm really not that big of an English fan, so any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Philosophy

Business maybe? I know that has a few law related units that could be really helpful.
Reply 5

Economics maybe?
Possibly a language?
Reply 6
Original post by IndigoZebra
Philosophy

Why would you choose that one?
Reply 7
Your chosen subjects will be fine. Sociology, although pretty easy, is very essay based. I wish I'd done some kind of government and politics, it probably would have helped with constitutional and administrative law. Other than that, I'd just say make sure you have at least one subject that you genuinely enjoy. There's nothing worse than dragging yourself through A-levels you hate
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
My advisor has been trying to get me to go for Gov&Pol, History and Philosophy, though I've had people tell me that my chosen uni will think the latter is too 'wishy-washy'.
Why would you choose that one?

I take it, it's really interesting and it seems like it would fit in well with your other subjects. Also it encourages you to have an argument and the ethics modules would fit in really well with law because they look at rightness/wrongness of actions :smile:
Reply 10
My advisor has been trying to get me to go for Gov&Pol, History and Philosophy, though I've had people tell me that my chosen uni will think the latter is too 'wishy-washy'.

What uni are you thinking of applying to?
Original post by Hann95
What uni are you thinking of applying to?

Bristol, since they have one of the best Law programs.

It's not what russel groups call 'an enabling subject' but it certainly isn't wishy washy, it's my hardest subject but also my favourite and I do think universities value it.
Reply 13
Bristol, since they have one of the best Law programs.

Philosophy will be fine. It's not an easy subject, a friend of mine (also went on to do law) did it. To be honest with you, unis aren't that bothered about what your A-levels are in, just so long as the grades are good. I have a biology a-level and a chemistry AS and got offers from all the unis I applied to and got in my first choice. What you find is more important as you progress is the skills you learn from those subjects and work experience
Choose the A levels that you enjoy and will get the best grades in. There are no set A levels for law. They do prefer to see traditional rather than less academic subjects. Philosophy is fine imo. the enabling subjects for Russel group seem to be more about keeping options open was my reading of their advice.
I want to do law at uni too! I'm an AS student and I'm taking Government and Politics, History, English Language and Psychology. I spoke with a couple of uni's before I picked them and they really liked my choices (although at the time I was choosing between maths and English and they said both would be fine). I really really recommend government and politics for law because it gives a basis of the law without you actually taking law, I also find it really interesting. Psychology is also really useful I think, or at least on my course, as we do about eye witness testimony and the reliability of it, as well as the effects of an authority figure on obedience and other topics that are relevant to law. History and English are obvious although, in my English at least, we do language and occupation and look into legal language and the structure of legal documents, but you'd have to check with your sixth form on this and whether you do this on that course. Another thing I'd really recommend as well is that you join any debating club or anything at sixth form. I do think tank (basically debate anything, the last one was 'should prostitution be legalised?) , debating club and law society which are all really useful. Hope this helps, good luck and any questions you want to ask me feel free to xx
Thanks for your help, guys.

I'm seriously considering English now, but I can't decide which one would be best. Language is definitely my better subject, but I know Literature is more well respected.
Got the same alevels- sociology,hist and politics . I applied through UCAS for two different subjects history and law - got offers from Durham-(law) Southampton(history) and reading,Kent and keele

Ur subjects are perfect so no worries
Thanks for your help, guys.

I'm seriously considering English now, but I can't decide which one would be best. Language is definitely my better subject, but I know Literature is more well respected.

I swapped from Language to Literature after two weeks of study, mainly because Lit is considered a facilitating subject and Language is not, but also because Language is mind-numbingly boring. You don't even get to write creatively like you did in GCSE.
Original post by Abstract_Prism
I swapped from Language to Literature after two weeks of study, mainly because Lit is considered a facilitating subject and Language is not, but also because Language is mind-numbingly boring. You don't even get to write creatively like you did in GCSE.

What exam board are you on? I'm on aqa and we do opinion articles as part of the exam which is creative writing

Quick Reply

Latest