The Student Room Group

I am approaching the end of 2nd year and am not enjoying the uni I am at,what do I do

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jack564709
I changed my degree at the university I am currently am at. They let me do it, I just emailed them and they made me sign a form and that was that.

Nah, they're not trying to get rid of me. I usually get 1's or 2:1's - I've never had lower than a 2:1. My tutor tried to talk me out of it, then ended up agreeing that if I feel the way I do, I should probably leave.

Right, so up until now you've never re-started a course or anything?

So, what are your thoughts atm then? And based on what I've said? Do you still want to leave?
Reply 21
Original post by >Username<
Right, so up until now you've never re-started a course or anything?

So, what are your thoughts atm then? And based on what I've said? Do you still want to leave?

Nope, never re-started.

Makes me think a bit more. But I think at a bigger university, in a city I'd be likely to meet friends. It's so small here, that everyone seems to go about in little cliques like high school. And everyone knows everyone, so it's very hard to make a first impression as the person you're meeting most likely knows a lot about you and vice-versa.
Nope, never re-started.

Makes me think a bit more. But I think at a bigger university, in a city I'd be likely to meet friends. It's so small here, that everyone seems to go about in little cliques like high school. And everyone knows everyone, so it's very hard to make a first impression as the person you're meeting most likely knows a lot about you and vice-versa.

Okay, I see what you mean...

Something I believe in is... People always have the answers. It seems you want to leave. So whenever someone says to you 'stay' you can think of 10 reasons why you shouldn't. At least that's what it seems like...

I don't mean that in a bad way or anything. We all do it. Deep down everyone knows the answer but they just go to other people for reassurance. If you want to leave, then leave... :smile:

In terms of what you said I actually disagree! At a bigger university, it will be much worse! The more people there are, the harder it is to make friends. People will be too busy doing their own thing! Although people say university isn't like high school, I think it is. So is work. People are people and there will always be groups, even when you're 70. Lol. I get what you're saying and this is what I think...

But somehow I think you already have your answer.. :wink:
Do you think I could potentially talk them into a transfer? Is that common?

I have heard of transfers before yes. I know this guy who was studying physics at St Andrews, hated the uni, and contacted Glasgow to ask for a transfer for the next semester. Glasgow accepted the transfer due to available places on the course. Therefore, it might depend on the availability at the university you are contacting for your specific course.

i would definitely contact them as the worst that can happen is that they will say no, but at least you have tried and there is always a chance they will say yes
Reply 24
Original post by evalilyXOX
I have heard of transfers before yes. I know this guy who was studying physics at St Andrews, hated the uni, and contacted Glasgow to ask for a transfer for the next semester. Glasgow accepted the transfer due to available places on the course. Therefore, it might depend on the availability at the university you are contacting for your specific course.

i would definitely contact them as the worst that can happen is that they will say no, but at least you have tried and there is always a chance they will say yes

Thanks for the reply.

Was that Glasgow Strathclyde or Glasgow uni?
Thanks for the reply.

Was that Glasgow Strathclyde or Glasgow uni?

Glasgow uni :smile:
A question that occurred to me reading your first post was: are you going to uni to party, or to acquire a salable skill that [hopefully] will support you for the rest of your life?? I trust that you investigated the career that you were preparing to enter (with your course work), and decided that it had 'long term' prospects & would pay a decent wage. Two more years is an "eyeblink". In 5 more years, you won't even remember what you did during those 2 years. The important thing is to acquire the skills you need to support yourself. Hopefully, you're doing that. You don't want to end up being a "buggy whip maker" when gasoline cars become popular! In that sort of case, you will never work again. Lots of things are being "exported" these days. The trick is to get into a profession that cannot be exported - either because the work has to be done in the Uk, or those it would be exported to cannot do it. Best of luck. I would recommend looking ahead, to find potential employers and work sites. Shortly after graduating, i took an overseas posting for nearly 3 years, because it was "meals and quarters furnished", and i would have no food or rent expenses. I saved enough whilst overseas to pay for 2/3 of my present house. Not a bad deal overall. Cheers.
Reply 27
Have you really given it a good go? Have you joined clubs and societies? Taken up a new hobby? I would just be scared you think going to a bigger uni is the answer, only to find out it's no different for you and you've wasted 2 years...
You do realise that the students of the university don't make up the entire population of the city. You don't necessarily have to make friends who are also students. There are many more people in the city.

Quick Reply

Latest