The Student Room Group

I Can't Revise!!

My GCSEs start in 10 days and I have literally no motivation to revise, and it's killing me!
I've done two sets of mocks this year and the last ones I did (in February) I came out with straight A/A*s and I only revised each exam the night before cramming, so it's not as if I'm not capable.
All we've done since mocks is revision and I'm sick of it, to the point where picking up the books when I get home is making me want to cry.
My problem is that, when I'm not revising I'm pannicing that I SHOULD be revising, so I'm constantly thinking I need to do it, but each time I sit down to have a session all I can think about is how quickly I can be done with it.
Another thing is that I feel really underprepared for these exams and I dot know why because seriously the school is driving me mad with revision like we don't even get study leave.

So basically what I'm asking is does anyone know how to help get me motivated to sit down and do revision at home????

Scroll to see replies

What are your career aspirations?
Reply 2
Original post by Shadow478
My GCSEs start in 10 days and I have literally no motivation to revise, and it's killing me!
I've done two sets of mocks this year and the last ones I did (in February) I came out with straight A/A*s and I only revised each exam the night before cramming, so it's not as if I'm not capable.
All we've done since mocks is revision and I'm sick of it, to the point where picking up the books when I get home is making me want to cry.
My problem is that, when I'm not revising I'm pannicing that I SHOULD be revising, so I'm constantly thinking I need to do it, but each time I sit down to have a session all I can think about is how quickly I can be done with it.
Another thing is that I feel really underprepared for these exams and I dot know why because seriously the school is driving me mad with revision like we don't even get study leave.

So basically what I'm asking is does anyone know how to help get me motivated to sit down and do revision at home????

JOIN THE AQA SCIENCE STUDY CHAT.

App is called Bindle and search #AQAChemistry or #AQAbiology or #AQAPhysics or all or whichever yoh want help with!!!! We will help you!!
Original post by _Xenon_

App is called Bindle and search #AQAChemistry or #AQAbiology or #AQAPhysics or all or whichever yoh want help with!!!! We will help you!!

Can you get that on a laptop!? I need all the help I can get with science, motivation and physics :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by MGreenland5
Can you get that on a laptop!? I need all the help I can get with science, motivation and physics :smile:

I don't think you can, sorry but you can from an iPad?
Original post by _Xenon_
I don't think you can, sorry but you can from an iPad?

Thank you, I don't actually have that but will look for ways around it. Thanks :smile:
Reply 6
Thank you, I don't actually have that but will look for ways around it. Thanks :smile:

Hi do you not have Apple or Android
Original post by _Xenon_
Hi do you not have Apple or Android

I did have an iPhone 5 but it broke so i'm now stuck with a nokia brick until exams are over :/ I will see if it is downloadable on an iPhone 3 I found though!
Reply 8
I did have an iPhone 5 but it broke so i'm now stuck with a nokia brick until exams are over :/ I will see if it is downloadable on an iPhone 3 I found though!

Oh damn! :frown:
Reply 9
Original post by _Xenon_

:h: i wanna join
Original post by s.mo
:h: i wanna join

Hi have you requested? :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by _Xenon_
Hi have you requested? :smile:

Yes!
Original post by Shadow478

My advice is to break this down into small doable steps. Example: set yourself a goal to do, say, 15 minutes revision, then have a break for 5 minutes, then another 15 minutes and so on. Everyone is different and 15 minutes may be way too little for what you're capable of. I like the pomodoro technique, which is based on periods of 25 minutes of goal-oriented activity followed by a break of 5 minutes, with a longer break after a 'set' of 4 pomodoros.

Generally, many people find it's best to do little and often, rather than, say, 5 hours one day and then nothing for the next 2 days. But you may be one of the exceptions. Good luck.
Original post by s.mo
Yes!

What are you called
Reply 14
Original post by _Xenon_
What are you called

saraah
Original post by s.mo
saraah

Oh yeah! :smile:
Reply 16
Thank you so much! It's good to know that others out there feel the same way :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by PrinceProsperity
What are your career aspirations?

Veterinary Medicine
motivation - think on results day if you are expecting A/A* and get C's and B's, you''ll look back on this thread you made and wish you started revising
I know just how you feel, and I also know how stressful it is going into an exam when you know you haven't revised enough!

I struggled with this all through secondary school and college. I was given the benefit of the doubt several times, and allowed second chances (such as resitting the whole AS Chemistry course), but it hasn't seemed to have eased with time. The whole thing is detrimental to my education. I always tell myself that I'll start revision earlier, but it's like there's a physical barrier. I've just finished my foundation year at University and I need to revise for a couple of exams...

The only things I can suggest, if you haven't done so already, are:
- Logout of facebook/twitter/any other social media
- Check out the 'focus' playlists on Spotify. Some of these are pretty useful
- Declutter your work space. Don't leave things around that'll distract you. Then again, don't use this cleaning up as a way to procrastinate (something I end up doing)
- Get enough sleep every night. It's even harder to focus when you're sleep deprived
- Don't overdo it on the caffeine. This tends to make me into a ball of energy and then I want to do anything besides study
- Make a revision plan. If you can't bring yourself to do this, at least aim to do a certain amount of work before having a break (and I don't mean a week-long break)! I use this app called 'Forest'. This has actually helped quite a bit. You have a tree to grow and if you close the app, the tree dies
- Attend revision sessions at school, or work in the library. It's usually easier to revise when there's teachers around and limited distractions
- Eat well and exercise. Sounds like I'm just preaching, but both can boost good neurotransmitters (like serotonin) and give you an energy boost too.

I'm trying to think of more, and I'll post them here if possible. Oh yeah, one thing that helped me last time I had an assignment due was writing a note to myself. In it, I just bullet-pointed the reasons I NEED to get the work done. I put this by my PC screen so I saw it often.

If none of this helps, I seriously suggest taking a trip to the docs and enquiring aboit ADHD. I wish I had done sooner, and right now I'm too anxious to even go to the GP.

Quick Reply

Latest