The Student Room Group

Why STEM is objectively superior to non STEM degrees.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Princepieman
Except the same finance firms you're appeasing are actually pushing towards hiring more humanities and nontraditional students than cookie cutter 'econ/maths' grads.

Source:http://news.efinancialcareers.com/uk-en/243963/getting-a-job-at-goldman-sachs/?utm_source=GLOBAL_ENG&utm_medium=SM_FB&utm_campaign=ARTICLE

Posted from TSR Mobile

Speaking generally, more STEM grads do get into high finance. You've looked at one recruiter when in general, most have finance/economics/STEM degrees. By an overwhelming margin.
Original post by *Stefan*
Apparently you don't understand what 'you're wrong' means either, given I quoted your own post which directly contradicted what you said.

Case dismissed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nope, i didnt contradicted myself. As already said, you misinterpreted what i said.

QED.
Except the same finance firms you're appeasing are actually pushing towards hiring more humanities and nontraditional students than cookie cutter 'econ/maths' grads.

Source:http://news.efinancialcareers.com/uk-en/243963/getting-a-job-at-goldman-sachs/?utm_source=GLOBAL_ENG&utm_medium=SM_FB&utm_campaign=ARTICLE

Posted from TSR Mobile

This doesn't prove anything, this is just some anecdotal evidence.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's a sample size of 1......it is not representative of the population at all.

But then again, the evaluation is that I do think it's more to do with more STEM students shoving their applications in and more of them go through by virtue of numbers, not necessarily due to the recognition of their degree. However, It's hard to deny that Mathematics and Economics is more applicable than, say, Viking Studies, for a finance job.

And the evaluation of this evaluation is the objective of firms change, they could be maximising profit (for which the Math/Econ grad will do the job), while your viking study grad will be able to be some good press material for 'breaking the stereotype' etc.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 164
Original post by STEMisSuperior.
You questioned the criteria hence the burden is on you to suggest something better.

No it isn't - the burden is on you either to provide a satisfactory justification or to amend your statement accordingly. If I questioned the existence of the dragon in Carl Sagan's garage, should the burden lie on me to prove that it doesn't exist?

Now please tell me why your critieria are objectively important.

In terms of intelligence - You can look at grades.

Can you provide a comprehensive definition of intelligence? Why would grades be a satisfactory way of measuring this?
Original post by lecafe88
That's a sample size of 1......it is not representative of the population at all.

But then again, the evaluation is that I do think it's more to do with more STEM students shoving their applications in and more of them go through by virtue of numbers, not necessarily due to the recognition of their degree. However, It's hard to deny that Mathematics and Economics is more applicable than, say, Viking Studies, for a finance job.

And the evaluation of this evaluation is the objective of firms change, they could be maximising profit (for which the Math/Econ grad will do the job), while your viking study grad will be able to be some good press material for 'breaking the stereotype' etc.

It's a representative sample, and much the same attitude is seen at any comparable investment banks.

Economics is hardly applicable lol.. Ask any banker whether what you learn in economics actually makes a difference on the job (besides obvious exceptions: fixed income desks) and the answer you'll get is no. Everyone heading into any of the major finance firms will be given firm wide training to introduce them into the ideas they need to do well on the job, the rest of the learning is by doing - not by comparing the affects of Keynesian vs Classical economics looool.

Your response sounds like you're answering an exam. And as exams go, you're making some awfully inaccurate assumptions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mr Moon Man
This doesn't prove anything, this is just some anecdotal evidence.

Ok, let's dismiss hiring tactics of finance firms because 'anecdotal evidence'. OP is the all knowing sage with many years of wisdom that he can just impart such resounding claims such as 'finance firms favour x subject' with no proof to back it up.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Comus
No it isn't - the burden is on you either to provide a satisfactory justification or to amend your statement accordingly. If I questioned the existence of the dragon in Carl Sagan's garage, should the burden lie on me to prove that it doesn't exist?

Now please tell me why your critieria are objectively important.

What? I used this criteria, to which you said why is this the only suitable criteria. If you have a problem with the criteria then you have to amend. I cannot see any other criteria that can be used to assess it. If you have problem with the criteria, the burden is solely on you to suggest otherwise. Why would i go against what i said?
Original post by Comus
Can you provide a comprehensive definition of intelligence? Why would grades be a satisfactory way of measuring this?

Seriously? If you're going to meticulously question it then that isnt my problem.
Huh, it's been at least two days since the last STEM masterrace thread. It was nice while it lasted.
Speaking generally, more STEM grads do get into high finance. You've looked at one recruiter when in general, most have finance/economics/STEM degrees. By an overwhelming margin.

If I see the word 'generally' without substantiation again on a TSR thread I will actually explode.. Show me the money.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ok, let's dismiss hiring tactics of finance firms because 'anecdotal evidence'. OP is the all knowing sage with many years of wisdom that he can just impart such resounding claims such as 'finance firms favour x subject' with no proof to back it up.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Says the 18 year old who's proclaimed himself to be 'That IB dude'

I dont see why i need proof to back the fact that there are far more STEM grads in a job in high finance than non STEM grads. If you want proof for something so obvious google it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

OP is quite clearly insecure, but he's not exactly wrong.
If I see the word 'generally' without substantiation again on a TSR thread I will actually explode.. Show me the money.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Irrelevant, no substantation or not, what i have said is true.
Says the 18 year old who's proclaimed himself to be 'That IB dude'

I dont see why i need proof to back the fact that there are far more STEM grads in a job in high finance than non STEM grads. If you want proof for something so obvious google it.

Oh trust me I know more about this than you, but I didn't need to state that. Feel free to tell the people I've helped land IB jobs on this site that what advice I've given them is ********, sure they'll appreciate it.

You're making a claim, and using the word 'generally'.. It's quite clear that you need to back up what you're saying.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Intelligent people can also be incredibly ignorant.

The OP has offers from Warwick and UCL indicating the former. He also thinks that studying Law largely amounts to memorising things and that doing a few Language modules on the back of a STEM course provides an equivalent level of knowledge to a full Languages BA.
Irrelevant, no substantation or not, what i have said is true.

Yep. Standard.
Original post by JamesN88
Intelligent people can also be incredibly ignorant.

The OP has offers from Warwick and UCL indicating the former. He also thinks that studying Law largely amounts to memorising things and that doing a few Language modules on the back of a STEM course provides an equivalent level of knowledge to a full Languages BA.

TL;DR OP is ignorant.

There's not much else to add.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh trust me I know more about this than you, but I didn't need to state that. Feel free to tell the people I've helped land IB jobs on this site that what advice I've given them is ********, sure they'll appreciate it.

You're making a claim, and using the word 'generally'.. It's quite clear that you need to back up what you're saying.

you've got a real attitude problem here mate, fix it up quick. you may have more knowledge than me but it wouldnt take long for anyone to familiarise myself with this, just takes intuition and some googling.

so are you saying what im saying is wrong? Because if you claim to have as much knowledge as you claim you do then you would know that im not wrong. Or perhaps you arent as much of an expert as you think you are.
(edited 7 years ago)
TL;DR OP is ignorant.

There's not much else to add.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I took a hiatus after page 6 in favour of the Boaty Mcboatface thread. :biggrin:
you've got a real attitude problem here mate

Have you ever heard of the idiom "The pot calling the kettle black"?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending