The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by noticemesenpai
Well, that is my opinion. As stated before, some girls may prefer looking after their home, i just don't like the idea to be honest.

Yes that's fine, but to call housewives lazy is unfair.
Original post by HAnwar
I already explained how a degree can serve as a back up as you have no idea what's going to happen in the future, whether you'll get married or not etc.

Lol cleaning the whole house top to bottom is lazy?
Cooking for the whole family is lazy?

That's completely subjective.

Well you could also argue putting a career over one's family is more selfish.

Posted from TSR Mobile

1. I never said anything about my view being fact. Ofcourse its subjective; read the title thread, the only thread is based on opinions.

2. No. Putting a career over ones family is not more selfish as then you would have to argue the male is being selfish. Why cant home care be divided so both partners are allowed to experience family life and work life. Why is the women more suited for homecare? Its a traditional view. Arguments of women being more "expressive" and males being more "instrumental" are not really valid either as its extremely dependent on person to person.
Reply 302
Original post by HAnwar
I already explained how a degree can serve as a back up as you have no idea what's going to happen in the future, whether you'll get married or not etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

This. And no housewife=lazy, but actually their work is 24/7 imo. Nothing wrong with being a housewife. And if my future husband tells me work as he is struggling then of course I will consider it. @noticemesenpai and @Cobalt_
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by HAnwar
Yes that's fine, but to call housewives lazy is unfair.

Well, from personal experience girls have told me they just want to get married after their degree and they just can be lazy. But, what i stated was uncalled for.
Original post by HAnwar

Posted from TSR Mobile

if you dont utilise the worth of your degree within 5 years of it, it becomes more or less outdated and useless, and youll probably be seen as in par with a level students.
Original post by welcometoib
if you dont utilise the worth of your degree within 5 years of it, it becomes more or less outdated and useless, and youll probably be seen as in par with a level students.

I think this is somewhat true because you aren't building on your experience or skills, employers prefer someone who is in employment. Also shows them you aren't very ambitious.
Original post by Cobalt_
1. I never said anything about my view being fact. Ofcourse its subjective; read the title thread, the only thread is based on opinions.

2. No. Putting a career over ones family is not more selfish as then you would have to argue the male is being selfish. Why cant home care be divided so both partners are allowed to experience family life and work life. Why is the women more suited for homecare? Its a traditional view. Arguments of women being more "expressive" and males being more "instrumental" are not really valid either as its extremely dependent on person to person.

Nothing wrong with traditional views. There's truth to them and to why feminine roles have been associated with nurturing and taking care of the family at home.

Not really, you can use it anytime.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Err like 22/23 I guess or 20 current age idk, i wouldn't either. - M
Original post by GeorgeAndLennie
Err like 22/23 I guess or 20 current age idk, i wouldn't either. - M

That Mice of Men reference :laugh: aahh, memories.
That Mice of Men reference :laugh: aahh, memories.

Lmao. I don't even know why I have it as my username, now I think of it. It's cool :colonhash:
Original post by HAnwar
Nothing wrong with traditional views. There's truth to them and to why feminine roles have been associated with nurturing and taking care of the family at home.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Actually no.
Traditional rules such as those have been ruled nule due to science.
Its actually been proven that women being better at child rearing is a myth. There are many neurology studies out there which state men are equal to women when involving child care. Pretty interesting articles/studies you might want to read.

Also, "feminine roles have been associated with taking care of the family."
May be hard to believe but there are a lot of males with these "feminine" roles, theyre not exclusive to women. The only reason people associate women with child raising is because predominately throughout history women have taken on the house wife role whether that be without a choice or with one.
After uni when I'm employed, so I'm guessing 25/26.
Reply 312
Female - around 25

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ideally 26/27 because I dont like marrying at a young age wanna enjoy myself LOL plus need to get a job, house, finish degree first obviously and settle down etc then I'll be ready so I'm not dependent on my husband 24/7 :smile:

You plan and plan and plan but the best planner is God :u:
Original post by GeorgeAndLennie
Lmao. I don't even know why I have it as my username, now I think of it. It's cool :colonhash:

Pft, my user is cooler :colonhash:
LENNIE NOOOOO! Hahaah. Man learning that and inspector calls was boring.
Pft, my user is cooler :colonhash:
LENNIE NOOOOO! Hahaah. Man learning that and inspector calls was boring.

ngl I laughed when I saw it x'D. noticeme

It was terrible. Idk how I survived.
Original post by Cobalt_
Actually no.
Traditional rules such as those have been ruled nule due to science.
Its actually been proven that women being better at child rearing is a myth. There are many neurology studies out there which state men are equal to women when involving child care. Pretty interesting articles/studies you might want to read.

Also, "feminine roles have been associated with taking care of the family."
May be hard to believe but there are a lot of males with these "feminine" roles, theyre not exclusive to women. The only reason people associate women with child raising is because predominately throughout history women have taken on the house wife role whether that be without a choice or with one.

I don't believe 'women are better at child rearing' to be a 'myth'. I don't agree with every study carried out.

Yes men can play these roles, but they are suited to women more. A woman has that emotional attachment and bond right from the start.

I will agree to disagree here.
Original post by sabana
I think this is somewhat true because you aren't building on your experience or skills, employers prefer someone who is in employment. Also shows them you aren't very ambitious.

its pretty true, im going into finance as a career post university and speaking to managing directors about the value of differing types of degrees, they all more or less have said that.
Original post by HAnwar

Posted from TSR Mobile

how do you plan on "using" your degree anytime? its not some magical piece of paper like a few students on here think, if you dont build some sort of a career from the get go post uni, it becomes a useless concept to have a degree, youll be overqualified for simple jobs and way too under if you choose to make a career after children and with no work experience at all.
how do you plan on "using" your degree anytime? its not some magical piece of paper like a few students on here think, if you dont build some sort of a career from the get go post uni, it becomes a useless concept to have a degree, youll be overqualified for simple jobs and way too under if you choose to make a career after children and with no work experience at all.

Half the students out there are doing **** degrees with no prospects. At least this way she'll have some intelligence and knowledge about the world and the university system for when her kids get older.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending