The Student Room Group

Boaty McBoatface Vs RRS Sir David Attenborough

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Fascist FoS at it again :rolleyes:

On the radio some guy called in to say he was naming his canal boat instead. I wish people got as angry about things that actually matter as they did about this :s-smilie:

There are some witty names for canal boats. There is one around Nottingham called The Onion Bargee.
I still can't believe that they were going to name a boat like that "Boaty McBoatface". Still makes me laugh :biggrin:

Who on earth thought of such a name...
Original post by spotify95
I still can't believe that they were going to name a boat like that "Boaty McBoatface". Still makes me laugh :biggrin:

Who on earth thought of such a name...

It was James Hand.

He's apologetic about it now.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3503379/I-m-sorry-Boaty-McBoatface-Man-came-new-polar-research-ship-apologises-panel-say-ignore-public-vote-anyway.html
Original post by nulli tertius
There are some witty names for canal boats. There is one around Nottingham called The Onion Bargee.

Crying out to be made a floating takeaway.
Boaty! :biggrin: It's like Donald McDuck.
I am saddened by the lack of silliness in the world but also find it vaguely predictable. In which case Attenborough is a legend and I'm all for it if we're not allowed Boaty McB.
I think Boaty McBoatface is hilarious, but ridiculous to be official. But for sure, I think it should (and probably will) be referred to informally as Boaty McBoatface, or something along those lines.

RRS Sir David Attenborough is a bit of a mouthful though. Surely RRS Attenborough is much cleaner and more elegant as a name for a vessel.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending