The Student Room Group

Can i study medicine with these GCSE grades?

I am taking my GCSE exams this year. I was just wondering whether or not i will be able to study medicine at a good university with these GCSE grades:

Maths - B
English Literature - C
English Language - B
Science Core - A
Science Additional - A
History - A
Business Studies - A
Computing Science - C
Religious Studies -A
Original post by AlexisSanchez2
I am taking my GCSE exams this year. I was just wondering whether or not i will be able to study medicine at a good university with these GCSE grades:

Maths - B
English Literature - C
English Language - B
Science Core - A
Science Additional - A
History - A
Business Studies - A
Computing Science - C
Religious Studies -A

I won't say it would be impossible but it would definitely be slightly harder due to the fact that you'll be competing against so many people who have may A*/A at GCSE'S

Saying that, there are certain uni's that focus more on your experience and skills rather than grades but they do still play a major role in your application.
Reply 2
I think they look more at your a level results and just want average gcses

Posted from TSR Mobile

Maths - B
English Literature - C
English Language - B
Science Core - A
Science Additional - A
History - A
Business Studies - A
Computing Science - C
Religious Studies -A

Maybe. Top uni's on the table look for something like at least 5A*'s at GCSE's.

But mainly, standard uni's don't take into account GCSE grades if you get good A-level grades.

Medicine is early entry, which means you apply the summer a year before you would start as opposed to the October/November deadline like everyone else.

So you do your AS exams (people will tell you that they don't count towards your final A-level exam but uni's look at it. Don't be swayed. Study hard!) you get the results and apply to Uni with those results. You need a minimum of AAAB at AS level to even be considered. you NEED chemistry and EITHER another science or maths and another academic subject.

They will accept or decline you based on these results and, if you had a bad day, maybe your predicted grades from your teacher.

It is very, very hard but it is so worth it.

Good luck in your GCSE's!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Your GCSE English Language and GCSE Maths grades may limit you to some universities, but your A grades in science are very desirable. Take a look at this TSR link showing the GCSE requirements for all medical schools in the UK.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=15897-medical-school-gcse-requirements

This page however was last updated around this time last year, so be sure to double check the requirements on the websites of the universities in question.

Keep in mind that these are just the minimum requirements. Given the competition for medical school interviews let alone places, applicants often exceed these minimum grades. So perhaps look at universities which put less weight on GCSE grades, and more emphasis on say admissions tests (UKCAT/BMAT) or the personal statement.

EDIT: Also your A-Level grades will come into play in the selection process. This illustrates that there's way more to a medicine application than just GCSE grades.

Best of luck
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Clintbarton
Medicine is early entry, which means you apply the summer a year before you would start as opposed to the October/November deadline like everyone else.

The deadline for medicine is mid-October and the general deadline is mid-January.

Maths - B
English Literature - C
English Language - B
Science Core - A
Science Additional - A
History - A
Business Studies - A
Computing Science - C
Religious Studies -A

The amount of misinformation in the replies above mine is unbelievable. I suggest ignoring everyone except the user who directed you to the wiki (which, yes, is out of date but still a decent starting point).

Gcses are in fact, pretty important for medicine applications. But they are one of many factors (such as ukcat/bmat/work experience). In light of the new a level reforms, it's likely they will play a more important role.

If you get those results, it will make applying tricky. There are universities that don't look at gcses except for minimum requirements. But that C in English may be a problem. And if those were your results, you would have to get an amazing ukcat instead.
As you're yet to sit them (I'm rather out of the loop in terms of exam dates) I suggest you work your arse off and aim for a B minimum (higher if possible) in all your subjects. The above grades wouldn't rule you out for medicine, but they would significantly narrow your choices. Achieving better grades would help you out when the time comes.

And to counteract some of the nonsense above... You submit your Ucas application by October 15th during year 13 and you certainly don't need aaab at as level to stand a chance (most people won't even be sitting as exams).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Maths - B
English Literature - C
English Language - B
Science Core - A
Science Additional - A
History - A
Business Studies - A
Computing Science - C
Religious Studies -A

These definitely don't rule you out to study medicine, it might be slightly more limiting in where you can apply and you might have to take a longer route around it depending on your Alevels, but I am a medicine offer holder and I had 7A's and 6B's *B's in physics, biology and maths, and tbh my A levels weren't great so I took the graduate route and got in first time applying as a grad.
You may find yourself in a similar pathway, there are upsides and downsides to both routes in medicine, but seriously don't rule it out based on GCSEs. You are more than these grades and grades make up only a small part of medicine applications, they're equally concerned regarding demonstrations of your commitment to the profession, you're insight and your personal abilities to interact with patients.
TL/ DR no, you're grades won't stop you, just play it smart with the ones you apply to and don't be afraid to take the long route into medicine if its what you really want.

Maths - B
English Literature - C
English Language - B
Science Core - A
Science Additional - A
History - A
Business Studies - A
Computing Science - C
Religious Studies -A

Probably not but you could try to apply, it wouldn't hurt to apply. However, I believe the deadline for Medicine has already past and I think it's in November where general admission is usually January 15.
Original post by ForestCat
The amount of misinformation in the replies above mine is unbelievable. I suggest ignoring everyone except the user who directed you to the wiki (which, yes, is out of date but still a decent starting point).

Gcses are in fact, pretty important for medicine applications. But they are one of many factors (such as ukcat/bmat/work experience). In light of the new a level reforms, it's likely they will play a more important role.

If you get those results, it will make applying tricky. There are universities that don't look at gcses except for minimum requirements. But that C in English may be a problem. And if those were your results, you would have to get an amazing ukcat instead.
As you're yet to sit them (I'm rather out of the loop in terms of exam dates) I suggest you work your arse off and aim for a B minimum (higher if possible) in all your subjects. The above grades wouldn't rule you out for medicine, but they would significantly narrow your choices. Achieving better grades would help you out when the time comes.

And to counteract some of the nonsense above... You submit your Ucas application by October 15th during year 13 and you certainly don't need aaab at as level to stand a chance (most people won't even be sitting as exams).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Say i work my arse off for the next 3 to 4 weeks and i obtained these GCSE grades:

Maths - A
Science Core - A
Science Additional - A
English Language - B
English Literature - B
Business Studies - A
History - A
Computing - C
RS - A

Do you think i would have a good shot at getting into a good university to study medicine in the future?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by cellmembrane416
Probably not but you could try to apply, it wouldn't hurt to apply. However, I believe the deadline for Medicine has already past and I think it's in November where general admission is usually January 15.

I'm in year 11
Say i work my arse off for the next 3 to 4 weeks and i obtained these GCSE grades:

Maths - A
Science Core - A
Science Additional - A
English Language - B
English Literature - B
Business Studies - A
History - A
Computing - C
RS - A

Do you think i would have a good shot at getting into a good university to study medicine in the future?

Those grades would certainly make life a bit easier. But it would still depend on things like UKCAT.

Medicine is very competitive so I don't like to give false hope saying things like 'you'll definitely get in' or even 'you'll have a good shot'. 60% of applicants each year don't get any offers. It is the ugly nature of applying to medicine. What you need to focus on is ways to maximise your chances of gaining interviews, such as good GCSE grades, good ukcat scores and then applying strategically (i.e. those grades would not be good enough for places like Cardiff so applying there would be a wasted application). You have to learn to play the game a bit when it comes to applying to medicine.

And there is not such thing as 'good universities' when it comes to medicine. They all provide you with the same medical degree in the end and you need to apply to places you stand the best chance of getting in, not necessarily who The Times have deemed to be the 'best' that year.
Those grades would certainly make life a bit easier. But it would still depend on things like UKCAT.

Medicine is very competitive so I don't like to give false hope saying things like 'you'll definitely get in' or even 'you'll have a good shot'. 60% of applicants each year don't get any offers. It is the ugly nature of applying to medicine. What you need to focus on is ways to maximise your chances of gaining interviews, such as good GCSE grades, good ukcat scores and then applying strategically (i.e. those grades would not be good enough for places like Cardiff so applying there would be a wasted application). You have to learn to play the game a bit when it comes to applying to medicine.

And there is not such thing as 'good universities' when it comes to medicine. They all provide you with the same medical degree in the end and you need to apply to places you stand the best chance of getting in, not necessarily who The Times have deemed to be the 'best' that year.

Thanks a lot for replying and i really appreciate your advice.
Thanks a lot for replying and i really appreciate your advice.

Good luck with your exams!
Good luck with your exams!

Thanks

Maths - B
English Literature - C
English Language - B
Science Core - A
Science Additional - A
History - A
Business Studies - A
Computing Science - C
Religious Studies -A

the misinformation on this thread is for real, and super frustrating becuase its likely to come from people who have no experience with applying to medical school.

GCSEs are very important for around half of the medical schools, I would personally say most med schools who look at GCSE grades like to see 6A/A* grades at least with B in maths, english language and the sciences. Hence your grades as shown above may fall short for some medical schools.

There are some which dont look at them to heavily (newcastle, Durham, imperial, BSMS, southampton) but all of these require incredibly high UKCAT or BMAT scores.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending