The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Left and Islam.

1) Long history of middle east links to Russia.
2) In the 1970s, because of entryism, there were many communists within the labour party.
3) Billionaire dodgy businessmen who claim to have a jewish background (eg Green to Abramovich)
4) Israel richer than its neighbours
5) Racism in the UK in the 1970s and 80s ("Paki Bashing" via some groups called "skin heads").
6) Average britain loves the underdog.
7) Love Your Enemy (under current of liberalism towards bad practices of people from third world).

HOWEVER this is a DIFFERENT CENTURY.

Islam has significant groups within that:
a) female genital mutilation
b) stay at home head covered girls and women
c) force marriage
d) violent marriages (rape in home)
e) Sharia law
f) death to homosexuals
g) Intolerance of other groups
h) under age marriage
i) significance of religion in the sex attacks on uncovered women (Rotherham to Cologne).
j) want to destroy Israel totally.
k) have saudi backed school text books that encourage racism towards jewish and christian groups
l) women can't drive cars in saudi and generally second class citizens.

This is not the majority of muslims but it is significant. If the abuse was on this scale and was within
the ROMAN CATHOLIC Church the Vatican would probably be burnt to the ground by angry mobs.

Khan was sharing a platform with an extremist - that is true.

Khan has not distanced himself from his childhood religion in this election, instead he has conned
Londoners into believing that if you do not vote for me you are an "islamophobe" - and lets face
it everyone wants to be nice.

I think its time that if people go out of their way to play the "Muslim" card they should lose elections
not win.

If you play the card you have to take on board the you support Sharia Law and Anti-Homosexuality,
and anti-feminist legislation.
Original post by Omen96
Christianity is barbaric and deserves to burn

Judaism is barbaric and deserves to burn

If you read my OP you will know I hate religion with a passion so are you happy now I had to explicitly state it. Now back on topic why do the left love and accept Islam, and ignore the violence it promotes and has caused throughout history?

As I said before, we don't 'love' Islam, but we defend it from xenophobic bigots who are out there just to hate it and blame their issues on a foreign religion.
Reply 82
Original post by 雷尼克
As I said before, we don't 'love' Islam, but we defend it from xenophobic bigots who are out there just to hate it and blame their issues on a foreign religion.

You defend a religion which is a fascist ideology and has the blood of millions on it throughout history? How progressive
Reply 83
Original post by HemmingsHood
Because the vast majority of the followers are the kindest and most respectful people you'd ever meet.

The vast majority of followers live in Islamic countries and support sharia law systems. How can someone who supports sharia law be the kindest and most respectful person?

Why do all polls show a scary number of Muslims against homosexuality or in support of sharia law for example?
Original post by Omen96
You defend a religion which is a fascist ideology and has the blood of millions on it throughout history? How progressive

I'm defending the Muslims who obviously have no violent intent whatsoever, but at the same time Christianity is even more bloody throughout history, but you focus on Islam?
Reply 85
Original post by 雷尼克
I'm defending the Muslims who obviously have no violent intent whatsoever, but at the same time Christianity is even more bloody throughout history, but you focus on Islam?

Have you read a single post I have made? Have you read the OP? Because it looks like you haven't. You are not doing yourself any favours. I already explained why I focused on Islam in the OP but as you didn't read it I'll explain again (a side note, if you are going to debate, read what the opposition actually says, it does help :smile:)

So I'll say again, the reason we are debating Islam is because the left already bash and express their distaste for Christianity and especially Judaism on a daily basis. They never attack Islam though. That's why we are focusing on Islam. The left defend Islam. They claim it is not barbaric. They claim it is the religion of peace and tolerance. They love Islam. They only see beauty in it. This is what I am addressing.
Original post by Omen96
Islam is incompatible with all of the progressive values in the west. The fact the left have failed to address the Islam Trojan horse scandal in schools, the private sharia courts in Islamic communities, the move to an unregulated and non-monitored halal slaughter, the fact various left wing Politicans address forced gender split conventions, plus many more cases show we need to criticise Islam. While the left promote it and try to change policy to integrate Islamic law we need an equal and opposite move to counter this. The fact parts of society are going backwards because of Islam and it's backed by the left, all needs to be addressed

Now you're just making stuff up. the left havent addressed it nor have they backed it up. You've got a skewed picture of the left. Besides, the left arent even in power to do anything about it so what you're saying is invalid. The Conservatives havent done anything about it to, so what is your point? This isnt exclusive to the left, its called being tolerant and not putting all muslims under questioning for the actions of some extreme individuals.
Reply 87
Original post by lolatmaths
Now you're just making stuff up. the left havent addressed it nor have they backed it up. You've got a skewed picture of the left. Besides, the left arent even in power to do anything about it so what you're saying is invalid. The Conservatives havent done anything about it to, so what is your point? This isnt exclusive to the left, its called being tolerant and not putting all muslims under questioning for the actions of some extreme individuals.

You are wrong and you haven't actually looked into this.

Rotherham started under a Labour government and continued even after with a Labour constituency and Labour council, and Labour police chief. The reports from the investigation show Labour councillors did not address it because they didn't want to offend the Muslim community. So the left were responsible.

The Trojan horse scandal started under a Labour government and continued while in a Labour constituency and with local Labour councillors.

The Tories in power does not mean they govern local areas, that's up to local government.

The topic is on Islam and the left, not specifically Muslims and the left.

Why do the left always defend Islam? Why can't the left admit Islam is barbaric and not the religion of peace? Why do the left claim Islam is tolerant?
Original post by Omen96
You are wrong and you haven't actually looked into this.

Rotherham started under a Labour government and continued even after with a Labour constituency and Labour council, and Labour police chief. The reports from the investigation show Labour councillors did not address it because they didn't want to offend the Muslim community. So the left were responsible.

The Trojan horse scandal started under a Labour government and continued while in a Labour constituency and with local Labour councillors.

The Tories in power does not mean they govern local areas, that's up to local government.

The topic is on Islam and the left, not specifically Muslims and the left.

Why do the left always defend Islam? Why can't the left admit Islam is barbaric and not the religion of peace? Why do the left claim Islam is tolerant?

You got any links? This is just the systematic failure of the government, nothing to do with political ideology.
Reply 89
Original post by lolatmaths
You got any links? This is just the systematic failure of the government, nothing to do with political ideology.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birmingham_City_Council

Labour have won with the most seats for decades proving labour control

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-28370552

If you scroll down you will find that there are reports that local government was warned about the Trojan horse scandal while Labour were in government

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotherham

You will find that Rotherham spanned from 1997 to 2013, ironic, 13 years of Labour and started when Labour came into power

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotherham_child_sexual_exploitation_scandal

Rotherham has been controlled by Labour for ages
Original post by Omen96
Have you read a single post I have made? Have you read the OP? Because it looks like you haven't. You are not doing yourself any favours. I already explained why I focused on Islam in the OP but as you didn't read it I'll explain again (a side note, if you are going to debate, read what the opposition actually says, it does help :smile:)

So I'll say again, the reason we are debating Islam is because the left already bash and express their distaste for Christianity and especially Judaism on a daily basis. They never attack Islam though. That's why we are focusing on Islam. The left defend Islam. They claim it is not barbaric. They claim it is the religion of peace and tolerance. They love Islam. They only see beauty in it. This is what I am addressing.

So basically you're bashing on the collective 'left' because you never see them hating on Islam?

What logic is this? seriously... You're collectivising the opinions of the left into a couple of statements which is absolutely absurd, assuming that the left can be collectivised given that it's a continuous spectrum and not a categoric 'left or right' issue, and then you're saying that pretty much all lefties fit into that category?

Seriously, I don't see any left wingers at all saying the claims you're making, I hardly see anyone attacking christianity or judaism nowadays, let alone the left. And I, as a left-wing atheist, don't like any religion, but I can clearly see there is a negative predisposition towards Islam because its a foreign religion and because of the actions of some terrorists who claim to purport it truly. You're helping no one by collectivising 50% of the political spectrum and then making false claims about what they are saying.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 91
Original post by 雷尼克
So basically you're bashing on the collective 'left' because you never see them hating on Islam?

What logic is this? seriously... You're collectivising the opinions of the left into a couple of statements which is absolutely absurd, assuming that the left can be collectivised given that it's a continuous spectrum and not a categoric 'left or right' issue, and then you're saying that pretty much all lefties fit into that category?

Seriously, I don't see any left wingers at all saying the claims you're making, I hardly see anyone attacking christianity or judaism nowadays, let alone the left. And I, as a left-wing atheist, don't like any religion, but I can clearly see there is a negative predisposition towards Islam because its a foreign religion and because of the actions of some terrorists who claim to purport it truly. You're helping no one by collectivising 50% of the political spectrum and then making false claims about what they are saying.

But this is representing the left.

Firstly, we have all major left wing institutions and parties. Take the Green Party who would not illegalise Islamic terrorism and claimed Islam/Quran are peaceful and tolerant (obviously they couldn't explain the tolerant part).

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5dFn8RIXOBE

This ^ is one of many interviews which represents their stance on Islam

Then take unions and the NUS in particular. They have been in the focus light for a number of reasons regarding Islam

http://m.huffpost.com/uk/entry/5987930

http://www.secularism.org.uk/news/2015/04/nus-votes-to-work-with-group-accused-of-supporting-islamic-extremism

Then we have the Labour Party who have a number of MPs address Islamic gender split events, who have claimed Islam is the religion of peace and tolerance, who have fail to recognise extremists as criminals.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3339241/Fury-Labour-s-segregated-rally-Sexism-row-men-women-segregated-party-rally-ahead-key-election.html

Trojan horse scandal:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Trojan_Horse

Rotherham scandal:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotherham_child_sexual_exploitation_scandal

Left wingers in the party praise hitler:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3531852/Labour-councillor-20-suspended-claims-called-Hitler-greatest-man-history-latest-anti-Semitic-scandal-hit-Corbyn-s-party.html

We have the Islamic council of Britain, need I say more on that one but even other left wing councils like the feminist one ironically, who defend Islam as tolerant and peaceful.

We have major left wing leaders like Corbyn, Livingston, Galloway, Owen Jones, and many more, all with millions of followers express their defence and respect for Islam, they have all stood on platforms with Islamic terrorists too.

The left are well and truly one with Islam. Only look at left wing forums like this because the left in these places are very much supportive of Islam and Islamic tradition

Interesting read:

http://markhumphrys.com/left.islamic.html

http://www.salon.com/2015/11/17/the_left_has_an_islam_problem_if_liberals_wont_come_to_terms_with_religious_extremism_the_xenophobic_right_will_carry_the_day/
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Omen96
But this is representing the left.

Firstly, we have all major left wing institutions and parties. Take the Green Party who would not illegalise Islamic terrorism and claimed Islam/Quran are peaceful and tolerant (obviously they couldn't explain the tolerant part).

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5dFn8RIXOBE

This ^ is one of many interviews which represents their stance on Islam

Then take unions and the NUS in particular. They have been in the focus light for a number of reasons regarding Islam

http://m.huffpost.com/uk/entry/5987930

Then we have the Labour Party who have a number of MPs address Islamic gender split events, who have claimed Islam is the religion of peace and tolerance, who have fail to recognise extremists as criminals.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3339241/Fury-Labour-s-segregated-rally-Sexism-row-men-women-segregated-party-rally-ahead-key-election.html

We have the Islamic council of Britain, need I say more on that one but even other left wing councils like the feminist one ironically, who defend Islam as tolerant and peaceful.

We have major left wing leaders like Corbyn, Livingston, Galloway, Owen Jones, and many more, all with millions of followers express their defence and respect for Islam, they have all stood on platforms with Islamic terrorists too.

The left are well and truly one with Islam. Only look at left wing forums like this because the left in these places are very much supportive of Islam and Islamic tradition

You're making the absurd mistake of thinking that these left wing people are saying Islam's extremist tenets are okay. They clearly aren't. They are just defending the hundreds of Muslims worldwide who evidently do not follow the 1500 year old religion word to word because society has outdated the Middle East's need for a highly political religion. Consider why Islam has extremist tenets - it was founded in the Middle East, somewhere isolated from the rest of the world, with limited development, constant thread from barbarians, etc... So it's no wonder that Islam, which was essentially a form of government 1500 years ago, evolved with extreme tenets. But Muslims have moved on, its quite evident that the vile things the Quran indirectly implies, just like almost all holy books, has been ignored by Muslims today. This is what the left wing acknowledge, and it is what they are defending, but you're collectivising the entire left saying that they are defending a vile religion. I see borderline no Christian/Judaism criticism from the left, which you claimed they do, and they are defending Islam because of the racist, xenophobic, divisive people in this country who don't want to accept a foreign religion because its "too extreme" even though Christianity itself has a far bloodier history than Islam.
The left are essentially weak minded and soppy they also love any cause which angers the right
Reply 94
Original post by 雷尼克
You're making the absurd mistake of thinking that these left wing people are saying Islam's extremist tenets are okay. They clearly aren't. They are just defending the hundreds of Muslims worldwide who evidently do not follow the 1500 year old religion word to word because society has outdated the Middle East's need for a highly political religion. Consider why Islam has extremist tenets - it was founded in the Middle East, somewhere isolated from the rest of the world, with limited development, constant thread from barbarians, etc... So it's no wonder that Islam, which was essentially a form of government 1500 years ago, evolved with extreme tenets. But Muslims have moved on, its quite evident that the vile things the Quran indirectly implies, just like almost all holy books, has been ignored by Muslims today. This is what the left wing acknowledge, and it is what they are defending, but you're collectivising the entire left saying that they are defending a vile religion. I see borderline no Christian/Judaism criticism from the left, which you claimed they do, and they are defending Islam because of the racist, xenophobic, divisive people in this country who don't want to accept a foreign religion because its "too extreme" even though Christianity itself has a far bloodier history than Islam.

When did this become a discussion on Muslims and Christianity? Stop changing the subject.

Why do the left look at Islam, the Quran and Hadiths, and express their respect and support for these? They claim that it represents peace and tolerance? They defend Islam as something they hold close to themselves

Also you are wrong, take Judaism for example, anti-Semitic views are a common trait in the left. There is a reason attacks on Jews have skyrocketed in the west, it has come from the left
(edited 7 years ago)
The left?
Reply 96
Well on paper I am left wing..I think Islam is a barbaric ideology essentially, but that is at the fundamental level. I am sure there is great variation in how people follow the religion and what aspects they agree and disagree with, thus whether or not someone is a Muslim doesn't really have a bearing on how I view them. Nevertheless, I am under no illusions that there aren't a great many Muslims who hold views that I personally find reprehensible as, I imagine, do most in the West.
Original post by Omen96
First of all, I would be happy if a moderator could confirm if I'm allowed to tag users on TSR who represent the topic at hand, with their quotes of course? I don't want to have the thread deleted as a result.

Secondly, before you bring up Christianity or Judaism, im a strict atheist and hate all religion, the reason we focus on Islam is because the left have a special relationship with the ideology.

Now, on a number of my previous threads and on other threads we have see left wingers defend and express their support for Islam. They will say stuff like "these actions are not representative of Islam", "islam is peace", "islam is tolerant"...only previously a user asked me for evidence when I suggested the majority of the Islamic world are opposed to homosexuality because she believed it was only a small handful minority, that's the level of denial the left have reached, they will not accept homosexuals are persecuted in the Islamic world.

Why do the left defend Islam? It is barbaric and like any religion is responsible for the deaths of catastrophic numbers. There is nothing peaceful about the Quran or tolerant or loving. The Hadiths are worse. Yet the left will attack you for admitting that.

I challenge a left winger to say Islam is a barbaric ideology. I will say the same about any of these ideologies if you ask

Okay, I am a Muslim. So this is going to be focused on why it is good. But let me just tell you that right now, what you just posted is what people say when they have been brainwashed by the media and who live off of knowing only stereotypes. If you've ever read the Qur'an or passages from it, or from the Hadiths, you will know how peaceful it is. There are people who claim they are Muslims, yes, and they kill and murder 'in the name of God'. Well, if someone went around and killed 10 people on the street and said hey were a Christian or Hindu or another religion and that they were doing things in the name of God, would you believe them? Would you believe that their religion truly accepts and encourages this sort of behavior?
As Muslims, we believe that peace is everything. The only time we fight is in war, or I guess self defense. There are so many people who don't understand Islam. They think that everyone has to be Muslim and if they're not, they should be killed or punished. But the thing is, we also believe in free will. We've been put on this Earth as a test to see if we stay faithful to Allah (God) or if we sin and do the exact opposite. Also, there a literally millions of Muslims who are being bombed and murdered every single day. And those Palestinians? Those Syrians? Those Burmese? They are being murdered everyday and are just trying to survive and praying that they do. And what do they do? Are they killing people? Are they? No. They just live in the wrong place, and that's not even their fault. The only thing that they're doing is staying faithful to Allah because despite any sin, anything that you think can't possibly be forgiven, Allah forgives.

That is what Islam is about. Not about the sinful things you write about. Just try looking up Islam. Not what people think, but what it is. Then argue about it.
Original post by Omen96
The left would get far more respect if they attacked Islam as they attack Christianity and Judaism (especially Judaism), instead they do the opposite with Islam and will never attack it

Don't confuse israel's barbaric crimes with judaism.
Original post by Omen96
When did this become a discussion on Muslims and Christianity? Stop changing the subject.

Why do the left look at Islam, the Quran and Hadiths, and express their respect and support for these? They claim that it represents peace and tolerance? They defend Islam as something they hold close to themselves

Also you are wrong, take Judaism for example, anti-Semitic views are a common trait in the left. There is a reason attacks on Jews have skyrocketed in the west, it has come from the left

You're the one who has changed the subject about five times, you're the one who brought up Christianity and Judaism earlier in this thread.

Your argument boils down to "there isn't enough Muslim hate", which is bigoted and disturbing, given that there are groups of people like Britain First who's campaigns are solely anti-Islam.

Latest

Trending

Trending