The Student Room Group

Honest Opinions: What do you think about homosexuality?

I'm 17 and openly homosexual. A boy I'm speaking to and me have discussed holding hands in public but I'm personally scared of doing that in fear of being tormented or even being the victim of hate crime.

What are your honest opinions on homosexuality? How would you react if you saw a gay couple in the street? What's it like around your area where you live in terms of hate crime and gay people?

Scroll to see replies

If I say a homosexual couple, I would be like hey theres a couple, thats sweet:h:

If I say a heterosexual couple, I would be like hey theres a couple, thats sweet:h:

you see?

hold hands if you can handle some hate, some ppl will inevitably look down on you for religious/personal/parental reasons but just ignore them!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by ForestShadow
If I say a homosexual couple, I would be like hey theres a couple, thats sweet:h:

If I say a heterosexual couple, I would be like hey theres a couple, thats sweet:h:

you see?

I agree.
Reply 3
Original post by ForestShadow

you see?

hold hands if you can handle some hate, some ppl will inevitably look down on you for religious/personal/parental reasons but just ignore them!

I'm really glad you think like that because some people would be horrible. It just scares me being looked at as if I'm abnormal and it just depressed me in general.
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
It's a bit gay.

I'm assuming your being a silly bastard trying to be funny given the fact you're anonymous and your point makes no sense?
Reply 5
Original post by #_#
I agree.

Thank you ☺️

What are your honest opinions on homosexuality?

It's great fun.

How would you react if you saw a gay couple in the street?

Outside of situations where it is quite common i.e. gay areas, gay pride? I'm pleased every time I see same sex couples in public because it was so rare 15-20 years ago.

What's it like around your area where you live in terms of hate crime and gay people?

A friend was beaten up a year ago by some men who took objection to his sexuality. Many gay people I know have experienced hostility to public displays of affection. However it is still a lot better than it was.
Reply 7
I have a gay friend and that doesn't impact our friendship at all. Around my area, there is quite a bit of homophobia but it's not extensive to everybody. I see gay couples all of the time but it doesn't affect my perspective of them. :smile:

My advice: Do what makes you happy. You probably won't see random people in streets more than once. :smile:
If you don't want to hold his hand, that's fine. If you do, then that's fine again. If it makes you happy, then there's not much to say, is there? :smile:
Reply 8
I honestly really really

Spoiler

I actually don't care. Do what makes you happy.
I think public displays of affection are nice, homosexual or not.

I have no issue with homosexuality.

What I don't like is the stereotypical effeminate gay (or overly butch) act that luckily, only a small proportion of the community abide by.
I couldn't care less
Reply 12
Thank you ☺️

No worries. You're still a normal person. I'm sure you're a nice person too! Remember that! :smile: There isn't anything wrong with you and you're not abnormal. Yes, the vast majority of people are heteosexual but why should your homosexuality impact your normaility? :smile:
I don't care at all about them. I find gays couples very cute tbh.

And who needs a man when you have a gay best friend? :ahee:
im same gender attracted (since i feel romantic attraction to people regardless of their gender) so i dont mind it, obviously. i grew up in a very accepting family too.
i now live in a city where the lgbt community is really large, though - if someone were to be homophobic to a gay couple in public, its very unlikely that no one would step in, honestly. i love it here, lmao
I really don't care whether you are straight, gay, bi, lesbian, pansexual, transexual, asexual.

You do you hunny and don't care about what others think :smile:
Original post by Quantex
It's great fun.

Outside of situations where it is quite common i.e. gay areas, gay pride? I'm pleased every time I see same sex couples in public because it was so rare 15-20 years ago.

A friend was beaten up a year ago by some men who took objection to his sexuality. Many gay people I know have experienced hostility to public displays of affection. However it is still a lot better than it was.

See it's that last point you make about hate crime that really scares me. I don't want to live my life being scared to do something with someone I love in public but I can't decide if it's worth the risk.
Original post by #_#
I have a gay friend and that doesn't impact our friendship at all. Around my area, there is quite a bit of homophobia but it's not extensive to everybody. I see gay couples all of the time but it doesn't affect my perspective of them. :smile:

My advice: Do what makes you happy. You probably won't see random people in streets more than once. :smile:
If you don't want to hold his hand, that's fine. If you do, then that's fine again. If it makes you happy, then there's not much to say, is there? :smile:

Thank you :smile: I'll probably have to give it a go because I don't know anything unless I try it.
Original post by kirigiri
im same gender attracted (since i feel romantic attraction to people regardless of their gender) so i dont mind it, obviously. i grew up in a very accepting family too.
i now live in a city where the lgbt community is really large, though - if someone were to be homophobic to a gay couple in public, its very unlikely that no one would step in, honestly. i love it here, lmao

I don't think my city would be very gay friendly. I mean, it makes me laugh really because everyone is all for being equal and try to make themselves look good on social media by saying they don't care about gays, but I bet they would act differently if they saw them in public holding hands. For example, I go to college with a few people who are fine with me being gay, and the vast majority of them would find it cute for me to hold hands with a boy in public, but there will be some who don't like the physical expression, yet they're fine with the orientation in itself. That's what I can't get my head around :s-smilie:
Original post by evalilyXOX
I really don't care whether you are straight, gay, bi, lesbian, pansexual, transexual, asexual.

You do you hunny and don't care about what others think :smile:

So what happens if someone is violent towards me?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending