The Student Room Group

Honest Opinions: What do you think about homosexuality?

Scroll to see replies

Right but the OPs question was "What do you think about homosexuality?" which implies a modicum of reasoning. If you literally just feel a certain way about PDAs across the board, it's not entirely relevant is it?

I mean, like I say, I understand your aversion to PDAs - I'm not the biggest fan of them myself when they go beyond a peck on the lips and holding hands. However, such strong feelings about something so basic I just find odd.
But you can choose what to do with those feelings and reactions. You can condition yourself.
Original post by Anonymous
I'm 17 and openly homosexual. A boy I'm speaking to and me have discussed holding hands in public but I'm personally scared of doing that in fear of being tormented or even being the victim of hate crime.

What are your honest opinions on homosexuality? How would you react if you saw a gay couple in the street? What's it like around your area where you live in terms of hate crime and gay people?

Is there a problem with it? nope, it's just like heterosexual but just different combinations of genders involved, the love is all the same, homo love isn't worth less and hetero love.

It's a gay couple ok then ignore them and let them get on with their life like i would do to any other couple

Dunno :/ i don't really go out into the open world.

It's a bit gay.

Original post by ivybridge
Right but the OPs question was "What do you think about homosexuality?" which implies a modicum of reasoning. If you literally just feel a certain way about PDAs across the board, it's not entirely relevant is it?

I mean, like I say, I understand your aversion to PDAs - I'm not the biggest fan of them myself when they go beyond a peck on the lips and holding hands. However, such strong feelings about something so basic I just find odd.

Being religious I think you can probably guess my opinions on homosexuality. However, the OP did specifically mention holding hands in public in his OP so it's not like what I wrote was irrelevant
Right, I'll just leave it there before we get into a slanging match, lmfao.
Right, I'll just leave it there before we get into a slanging match, lmfao.

Angry has some very extreme views. I'm going to burn in hell apparently. But she (or he) is always respectful and rather pleasant :smile:
Original post by hezzlington
But you can choose what to do with those feelings and reactions. You can condition yourself.

If I saw more of it around I and probably other people would get used to it more, but we don't see it around ironically due to the amount of prejudice from people so it's a bit of a catch-22 situation.

I wouldn't ever act on my feelings though, just think it and go about my day normally. I'm not one of those religious people that would start going off on a gay couple or anything like that
Angry has some very extreme views. I'm going to burn in hell apparently. But she (or he) is always respectful and rather pleasant :smile:

Why? :s-smilie:
They're too sensitive!
If i get judged for being straight i would stand up for myself!

Other than that idc what you do as long as it isn't affecting me and my family ✌🏼️

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Habina786xx
They're too sensitive!
If i get judged for being straight i would stand up for myself!

Other than that idc what you do as long as it isn't affecting me and my family ✌🏼️

Posted from TSR Mobile

That would never happen though so what are you talking about?
Why? :s

I don't believe in God, to put it nicely.

I'll fiercely defend homosexuality as well. It's one of the reasons I don't like religion. You should know, you gave me my first personal rep :wink:

I said I'd rep you and I am!

Your support for the LGBTQIA community really does basically restore my faith in humanity. Thank you for all the supportive, valid, posts you make and keep being fab'.

:hugs:

~Jay'xo
Original post by KaminiZindagi
I hate it. It literally ruined my life:frown::frown::frown::frown:

I really cant take it anymore

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you mind giving me reasons for your opinion?
Original post by Samonia
Its really no big deal i think. If 2 guys/girls/ one of each are being cute then its cute :smile:

The only time it causes problems if if your shoving your relationships down everyone's throat. But that goes for everyone really. cute hugs and kisses and holding hands is always fine :biggrin:

I agree. I'd feel silly snogging the life out of my partner in public straight or not. I do feel awkward seeing any couple snogging but I don't mind anyone holding hands :smile:
I'm 17 and openly homosexual. A boy I'm speaking to and me have discussed holding hands in public but I'm personally scared of doing that in fear of being tormented or even being the victim of hate crime.

What are your honest opinions on homosexuality? How would you react if you saw a gay couple in the street? What's it like around your area where you live in terms of hate crime and gay people?

Absolutely nothing wrong with it! :smile: I'll be honest, I've found that certain people haven't been afraid to voice their discontent at me when I've held hands with my boyfriends in the past, but when you're so happy with that person, anyone else seems irrelevant. My advice is to just go for it, we're not on this world for long so embrace what you have, enjoy the company and love life! :smile:
Well i like the girls myself lol (ik you are a boy but still) so i guess i'm biased in favour lol but even if i wasn't i honestly have no problem with it. Imho what someone does shouldn't bother anyone else unless it harms someone which being gay dosent at all. The only thing i don't like is when people use their sexuality as like their defining thing, not because they should be ashamed of it or anything just because i find it all a bit over the top. Even though i am 'in the closet' so to speak so am obviously quiet about it even if i wasn't i wouldn't shout and scream about it (not saying holding hands is doing that btw at all just ik some people who whilst a minority are like this)
but honestly don't worry at all, if people don't like it they can **** off, do what makes you happy hun :smile: x

Thank you :smile: I really hope people become more accepting of it in my local area because it upsets me knowing I can't feel comfortable expressing myself in public
:frown:
I'm gay too and so, naturally, I have no issues with homosexuality (:lol: can you imagine if I did? Awkward reality check coming soon when Henry Cavill walks on TV). However, I have suffered hate crime on a mass scale in public. Nonetheless, I think things are getting better and the majority wouldn't bat an eye-lid if you held your boyfriend's hand or whatever. Just stick two fingers to the haters and just try to remember that most people look because they never see it elsewhere - it's a bit new for them, not because they hate you.

Story: when a group of guys started hurling abuse at me and one of my ex-boyfriends, we just shared a rather long french kiss and they ran away. #BeatHateWithMoreLove

Well done for informing OP of his own sexual orientation - do you want a medal or a trophy with that certificate?

It's the hate crime that worries me:frown:

I think a lot depends on where you live, & where you are considering doing the hand-holding.

I'm not gay or particularly interested in gay issues, but I'd be more concerned about your welfare and safety because, sadly, we don't live in a perfect world and there is some nasty behaviour out there. Your instincts are telling you something and I'd weigh that against the gain, or perceived gain, of hand-holding in public.

Take your time and stay safe.
I don't believe in God, to put it nicely.

I'll fiercely defend homosexuality as well. It's one of the reasons I don't like religion. You should know, you gave me my first personal rep :wink:

That's because you're fab' :colondollar:
Original post by Olie
If I saw a gay couple holding hands in the street I'd be happy for them, happy we live in a society where gay people feel comfortable and confident enough to be themselves and not get attacked or abused like they would in many other parts of the world. Seriously I'd recommend just go for it, I can imagine how scary it must be for you and you may indeed get some funny looks as it's still not hugely common to see 2 men holding hands in the street, but don't let the fear of haters stop you from living your life, it's none of their business if you want to hold hands with your partner, be defiant and be yourself :smile:

Thank you so much that is exactly how I like to think. I hope society does become more accepting because I'm only 17 so I've got my whole life ahead of me being gay.
It's the hate crime that worries me:frown:

Bro', I get it. Really I do, but you cannot live your whole life being scared about it. It's likely that nothing will happen and if it does, you cross that bridge when you come to it. You walk away, you stop doing it until you get away, you call the police if something bad happens - you cannot anticipate these things. Enjoy yourself and be happy and damn-well snog that guy's face off if that's what you want to do. People can like it or lump it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending