The Student Room Group

Honest Opinions: What do you think about homosexuality?

Scroll to see replies

It's not a big deal really,Unlike Muslims in countries like USA who get physically abused by SOME americans,I haven't seen much abuse with homosexuals though yeah you might get some looks but that's all.
I'm studying A level religious studies and part of my exam includes me answering an essay on sexual ethics - predominantly homosexuality? What denomination are you and why do you go against homosexuality? Religion is conflicting. Roman Catholics believe on a natural law basis that homosexual sex cannot lead to reproduction so marriage would be considered invalid and therefore all homosexual acts are sinful, yet, surely that would mean marriage between elderly or infertile couples must also be wrong because they cannot reproduce?
Situation ethics is based on Jesus' teachings who stated you must "love your neighbour as yourself" and surely the most loving thing to do is to be accepting of homosexual couples? In addition to this, Genesis states that everyone is made in the image of God, and therefore homosexuality cannot be wrong because why would God make disordered human beings? Christians are required to help and support those marginalised in society, which would include homosexuals?

I could go on but I think you get the idea of how conflicting religious beliefs are, especially concerning homosexuality.
Original post by ivybridge
Bro', I get it. Really I do, but you cannot live your whole life being scared about it. It's likely that nothing will happen and if it does, you cross that bridge when you come to it. You walk away, you stop doing it until you get away, you call the police if something bad happens - you cannot anticipate these things. Enjoy yourself and be happy and damn-well snog that guy's face off if that's what you want to do. People can like it or lump it.

I shouldn't really go off topic and go into detail but you're right I think it's my paranoia and mental health that makes me feel that way. I will just have to wait and see what happens I guess :s-smilie::biggrin:
Seeing any one in love and happy makes me happy. :smile:
Original post by KaminiZindagi
Being a homosexual has ruined my life. It absolutely ruined my life. I used to be this jolly little child but know I am just dead from inside. My life is no worth to me. I would die anytime.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why what has happened that makes you feel like this? :/
Original post by Anonymous
I'm studying A level religious studies and part of my exam includes me answering an essay on sexual ethics - predominantly homosexuality? What denomination are you and why do you go against homosexuality? Religion is conflicting. Roman Catholics believe on a natural law basis that homosexual sex cannot lead to reproduction so marriage would be considered invalid and therefore all homosexual acts are sinful, yet, surely that would mean marriage between elderly or infertile couples must also be wrong because they cannot reproduce?
Situation ethics is based on Jesus' teachings who stated you must "love your neighbour as yourself" and surely the most loving thing to do is to be accepting of homosexual couples? In addition to this, Genesis states that everyone is made in the image of God, and therefore homosexuality cannot be wrong because why would God make disordered human beings? Christians are required to help and support those marginalised in society, which would include homosexuals?

I could go on but I think you get the idea of how conflicting religious beliefs are, especially concerning homosexuality.

So you've studied a little bit of Christianity and now you think you're a Biblical scholar don't you? If you knew anything about what the Bible actually said you wouldn't need to ask these questions. Nonetheless, I don't mind engaging in a bit of apologetics so I will answer your questions.

I am protestant Christian, more specifically Baptist. I am not against homosexuality per say, just homosexual acts which are specifically outlined in the Bible as being sinful along with fornication, adultery, bestiality and incest. This is not what I say, it is what my faith says. Considering the vast amounts of archaeological evidence supporting the things written about in the Bible I feel I have good reason to believe it is reliable as do many historical scholars.

I see you are applying Fletcher's situation ethics to this situation but because you do not understand the full premise of Christianity you have misunderstood. Jesus taught more about Hell than Heaven, he describes it as a real place where sinners go after their death. Since all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God, God must punish Sin due to his nature of being perfectly good and just. So when Adam and Eve sinned they brought Sin into the world which affected biological processes, thus producing death, disease and illness and other biological quirks, one of which is homosexuality. Homosexuality was never in God's original plan.

Homosexuals are to be afforded the human dignity afforded to any other person or sinner in God's eyes, however, I cannot as a Christian allow someone to risk going to Hell over something that they may not know to be sin.
I understand your fears. Where I live(not in the UK) ppl are not too tolerant with homosexuality. But personally I think that you shouldnt be scared. Live your life as you want and you dont harm anyone. :smile:
So when I see a homosexual couple I honestly dont act like it is weird. It is the same as seeing an heterosexual couple:smile:
Good luck:Posted from TSR Mobile
Is Sin considered equal in the eyes of your god? For example, are acts of homosexuality 'as bad' as murder?
I don't mean to be disrespectful but in all honesty i would sooner run the risk of going to 'hell' rather than live my whole life as a lie with someone i could never be happy with or love.
I personally don't support homosexuality due to my beliefs and values but it doesn't mean i don't support the happiness and wellbeing of someone who identifies as that.I don't hate anyone for who they believe they are, but it doesn't mean i love, like or have to accept the lifestyle they have.
Anyway just know that God loves you for who you are but it doesnt mean he loves all your choices you make.
The common mistake people who are religious make is shaming and making homosexuals feel guilty for wanting happiness in that way but the truth is everyone tries to find happiness but just in different ways but true joy and happiness for me comes from knowing and accepting Christ first.
This is just your interpretation of the Bible... And also, I'm quite sure sex before marriage isn't openly condemned. There are cases of it in the Bible itself, such as the Story of Ruth. Furthermore, it's quite clear that the story of Adam and Eve was devised as a fable - a story with a meaning at the heart. This is a pattern throughout the Bible.

It isn't your life and it isn't up to you. Leave people alone.
(edited 7 years ago)
Why what has happened that makes you feel like this? :/

i can pm u

Posted from TSR Mobile
Idc tbh because im not homosexual!:smile:
No not at all, I just have a vague understanding of it and seen as I am homosexual myself, I have looked deeply into it.

Lets look at some things. First of all, the Bible also condemns hypocrisy and greed, yet I don't recall through my research that anyone died at the stake for these crimes, yet homosexuals perished, That seems grossly unfair do you not agree?
Many historical scholars may very well believe it to be accurate. By historical I hope you are referring to the likes of those around in medieval times whereby everyone followed the Bible regardless. Most modern scholars would argue that the Bible is based on ancient cultures and traditions which are not relevant today and the Fall in Genesis is almost certainly historically inaccurate.
Your belief on Adam and Eve bringing sin onto Earth sounds very contradictory. Just a few points, this is also based on the Fall in Genesis which as I have stated is likely to be historically inaccurate. Moreover, your God is supposed to be omnipotent, beneolvent, etc you know all that. Yet, if he was omniscient, surely he would know Adam and Eve would sin and that would bring sin into the entire world so how is this fair to suggest? This also begs the question on how is it fair to punish all humans for the sins of Adam and Eve? If God's plan was for a perfect world, and God was omniscient, he would know Adam and Eve would sin and your biological quirks such as homosexuality would be created. God would not have created Adam and Eve because he would have known they would sin which would not be part of his plan and as a result of this, God cannot be perfect or omniscient at all. And if he does not know all, how can he decide what is right and wrong because it makes him no different to me and you and as we are not omniscient.
I wouldn't react at all because...

Spoiler

No not at all, I just have a vague understanding of it and seen as I am homosexual myself, I have looked deeply into it.

Lets look at some things. First of all, the Bible also condemns hypocrisy and greed, yet I don't recall through my research that anyone died at the stake for these crimes, yet homosexuals perished, That seems grossly unfair do you not agree?
Many historical scholars may very well believe it to be accurate. By historical I hope you are referring to the likes of those around in medieval times whereby everyone followed the Bible regardless. Most modern scholars would argue that the Bible is based on ancient cultures and traditions which are not relevant today and the Fall in Genesis is almost certainly historically inaccurate.
Your belief on Adam and Eve bringing sin onto Earth sounds very contradictory. Just a few points, this is also based on the Fall in Genesis which as I have stated is likely to be historically inaccurate. Moreover, your God is supposed to be omnipotent, beneolvent, etc you know all that. Yet, if he was omniscient, surely he would know Adam and Eve would sin and that would bring sin into the entire world so how is this fair to suggest? This also begs the question on how is it fair to punish all humans for the sins of Adam and Eve? If God's plan was for a perfect world, and God was omniscient, he would know Adam and Eve would sin and your biological quirks such as homosexuality would be created. God would not have created Adam and Eve because he would have known they would sin which would not be part of his plan and as a result of this, God cannot be perfect or omniscient at all. And if he does not know all, how can he decide what is right and wrong because it makes him no different to me and you and as we are not omniscient.

God is 'just' it doesn't mean that in our eyes everything he does is fair. He has an overall plan so he already knows the end before we see it play out. He already knew what was going to happen and that's why Jesus was sent to antone for the sins and fall of man. Gods thoughts and ways are higher than our own so we can never know everything and why things happen the way they do unless through revelation of Gods word that he chooses to give to us
Original post by kirigiri
im same gender attracted (since i feel romantic attraction to people regardless of their gender) so i dont mind it, obviously. i grew up in a very accepting family too.
i now live in a city where the lgbt community is really large, though - if someone were to be homophobic to a gay couple in public, its very unlikely that no one would step in, honestly. i love it here, lmao

do you live in Manchester by any chance
Original post by ZiggyStarDust_
do you live in Manchester by any chance

Well I'm in Hull so fat chance of me being accepting being gay in public round my area!
Original post by hezzlington
Is Sin considered equal in the eyes of your god? For example, are acts of homosexuality 'as bad' as murder?

All sin is repulsive to God. Unlike the Roman Catholic idea of 'carnal' and more serious sins (I don't know the term) God does not distinguish between them like humans do

I don't mean to be disrespectful but in all honesty i would sooner run the risk of going to 'hell' rather than live my whole life as a lie with someone i could never be happy with or love.

That is your choice and is the beauty of Free Will. That's not to say I'm happy about it but I can't do anything about it.

Original post by ivybridge
This is just your interpretation of the Bible... And also, I'm quite sure sex before marriage isn't openly condemned. There are cases of it in the Bible itself, such as the Story of Ruth. Furthermore, it's quite clear that the story of Adam and Eve was devised as a fable - a story with a meaning at the heart. This is a pattern throughout the Bible.

It isn't your life and it isn't up to you. Leave people alone.

Fornication and sex outside of marriage is clearly condemned in both OT and NT. Where in the story of Ruth does it say Boaz lay with Ruth?

Futhermore, why are you telling me to leave people alone when other people are asking me the questions first? You should be telling them to leave me alone.

I agree that hypocrisy and greed are terrible sins; but I also agree that those proclaiming to be Christians have in both past and present acted in an atrocious manner towards their fellow human beings. For that I'm very saddened and sorry; they are behaving in a very un-Christlike manner and God will punish them for that. Nowhere in the NT does Jesus endorse or encourage killing people for their sins. It's just not our place to do that as Christians like you said we should protect people.

Many modern historical scholars consider some of the accounts written about in both the OT and NT to be accurate and representative as archaeological finds and evidence have confirmed. If you want more evidence or specifics PM me.

Had God not placed the option for Adam and Eve to sin in the Garden of Eden then He would be violating his own principle of free will, don't you see? Had he instructed them not to sin and then not provided any way in which they could He would be a totalitarian dictator. God doesn't want robots, He wants people to love him.
Why would you not be happy about it though? it literally has no bearing on your life whatsoever.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending