The Student Room Group

Is it animal cruelty???

Should having your cat ( which is a funny concept in it self if you think about it. What you are saying is that " Humans as the intelligent species -hehe, sorry humorous use of the word intelligent- feel so vulnerable that they have to assert their dominance over another species. But I digress) castrated or snipped be classed as animal cruelty? Personally I think so. It would be like having a child and having him snipped because you want "to make his life more fun"... Thoughts ???

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Silver_Spider23
Should having your cat ( which is a funny concept in it self if you think about it. What you are saying is that " Humans as the intelligent species -hehe, sorry humorous use of the word intelligent- feel so calmer able that they have to assert their dominance over another species. But I digress) castrated or snipped be classed as animal cruelty? Personally I think so. It would be like having a child and having him snipped because you want "to make his life more fun"... Thoughts ???

Posted from TSR Mobile

Arguably it's more cruel to have your cat impregnating other cats and potentially leaving unwanted litters of kittens without homes. You'd also be exposing your cat to a very high risk of sexually transmitted diseases and the associated discomfort and shortened life span.
Yes I'd say so, but pet ownership is so ingrained in culture you'll have a hard time convincing people of it

Original post by Charlotte49
Arguably it's more cruel to have your cat impregnating other cats and potentially leaving unwanted litters of kittens without homes. You'd also be exposing your cat to a very high risk of sexually transmitted diseases and the associated discomfort and shortened life span.

idk if i agree with that reasoning. You could say the same thing about chavs :lol:

In all seriousness though, you could argue that it's cruel to then own pets for your own pleasure if you have to chose between those scenarios happening
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Zargabaath
Yes I'd say so, but pet ownership is so ingrained in culture you'll have a hard time convincing people of it

idk if i agree with that reasoning. You could say the same thing about chavs :lol:

In all seriousness though, you could argue that it's cruel to then own pets for your own pleasure if you have to chose between those scenarios happening

Yeah I'd agree with that, but as you say, it's so culturally normal that it's not going to stop any time soon. There certainly is something cruel about suppressing an animal's natural instincts to suit our lifestyles. Fortunately most pets live a happy, comfortable but domesticated life and are treated well with owners who have good intentions.
Yeah I'd agree with that, but as you say, it's so culturally normal that it's not going to stop any time soon. There certainly is something cruel about suppressing an animal's natural instincts to suit our lifestyles. Fortunately most pets live a happy, comfortable but domesticated life and are treated well with owners who have good intentions.

I agree, I'm certainly not against most pet ownership and I'm sure most owners treat their pets as well as family. I know my friends with pets do :yep:

It's not only about life span, though, it's also about quality of life. One could argue that a cat isn't being allowed to act naturally with the snip and thus has a lesser quality of life. Then another could counter argue that the snipped cat doesn't have the urges any more, so it nullifies the original point, and also like you said, there's already too many kittens without homes, or living in impoverished conditions. I'm leaning towards not snipping is more cruel than snipping, but I'm speaking from a utilitarian standpoint, as from the cat's own point of view, it probably wouldn't want to be snipped? Would you want to take a drug or have an operation that made you infertile and lose your sex drive?

Also someone else made a good point - we do this to cats - why not to humans? Obviously it would be immoral to starts sterilising people who the government thinks are "lesser citizens" - it takes away personal freedom and has too much government-bias. Eugenics is dangerous territory, as we have seen in the past, but we do it with animals all the time. In fact, governments and private companies already do control populations in a more subtle way. Through advertising, propaganda, and so on, people are quite literally being brainwashed to subscribe in ideas and products that suits the people with money and power.

A side question, I can't remember where I read this, and I'm further going off topic here, but: If the government, or a private company, started paying people who they didn't want in the gene pool money to take an injection that made them permanently sterile and lose all of their sex drive, how would you feel about it? Would you take it? Does it depend on the amount of money? It's perhaps not quite coercion, as the choice is still there, but if there's a large sum of money on the line, it complicates things. China has an overpopulation problem, and they are literally paying people more money if they only have one child, taxing those with more children huge sums, and ordering unauthorised pregnancies to be terminated, so we are not far off this situation already. Edit: I juist read that in the 1980s China started forcing people with two children to be sterilised, so yeah, we're already there folks, and it's even worse than my hypothetical question...
(edited 7 years ago)

Cat STDs.

Thank you. Now I have something to keep me busy this weekend lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AlphaSteel
Cat STDs.

Thank you. Now I have something to keep me busy this weekend lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

For clarity, what exactly are you going to be doing this weekend?
No. A cat and a child are two different species. A cat is a house pet. You buy him cat food, water and you're providing only for him. A child is your biological flesh and you want your child to produce more of "himselves or herselves" to continue the blood line. Yeah, you're still providing for your child and buying him or her the necessities and stuff but at the end of the day you value your follow human being's life more than do you Mr. Whisker's.

Animal cruelty is like bashing your cat on the floor, cutting him up for fun, and being abusive.
Not wanting your cat to knock up your girl cat and have an entire litter to take care is not animal abuse. The cat will still have a penis, don't worry. Don't cats just pee all the place to say this my territory or something? The cat will still be able to pee, won't it?
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending