The Student Room Group

How many wider reading? 'Love Through the Ages' AQA A2

How many pieces of wider reading should we use in question 1 and 2? My teacher said the essay should be around 30% wider reading. Would 2 pieces of wider reading for question 1 (e.g two poems compared to each extract), and 2 pieces for question 2 (of each genre, e.g a novel and a play) be enough?This is with the intent to secure an A/A* grade.

Thank you. :smile:

PS: what's everyone using for wider reading?
Original post by wordnerd
How many pieces of wider reading should we use in question 1 and 2? My teacher said the essay should be around 30% wider reading. Would 2 pieces of wider reading for question 1 (e.g two poems compared to each extract), and 2 pieces for question 2 (of each genre, e.g a novel and a play) be enough?This is with the intent to secure an A/A* grade.

It's probably more better if you choose at least 4-6 wider reading, usually 2 poems, 2 dramas and 2 prose. That's literally it to be honest. I remember our teachers said to us is that if section A were to compare poems, then for Section b (even though u can refer to all 3 genres), just stick to the two remaining ones for your wider reading).

When i studied the exam, i did way too many. Things were like DH Lawrence poems, Pride and Prejudice, Ruth, A Streetcar Named Desire (as a class), a Woman of No Importance (as a class).

Also try and split your text of three generations; Jacobean>Victorian>Modernism or Medieval, Enlightenment, Post-Modernism; etc etc.
Reply 2
Original post by wordnerd

My teacher says you need usually 3 links and try to make them relevant as possible but they don't need to be necessarily strong links, just as long as they're relevant to the extracts in some way and you can make them work.

Also my teacher strongly argues that question 1 will more than likely be 2 poetry extracts, so I would really get some poetry wider reading done. That being said, it might not be, just more than likely.
Reply 3
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
It's probably more better if you choose at least 4-6 wider reading, usually 2 poems, 2 dramas and 2 prose. That's literally it to be honest. I remember our teachers said to us is that if section A were to compare poems, then for Section b (even though u can refer to all 3 genres), just stick to the two remaining ones for your wider reading).

When i studied the exam, i did way too many. Things were like DH Lawrence poems, Pride and Prejudice, Ruth, A Streetcar Named Desire (as a class), a Woman of No Importance (as a class).

Also try and split your text of three generations; Jacobean>Victorian>Modernism or Medieval, Enlightenment, Post-Modernism; etc etc.

How would you go about last minute wider reading? In class we just bought in some extracts from other books and went through them as a class but I'm really panicky. Should I have a few quotes or would it be better to have a thorough understanding of the texts instead? I feel so ill prepared for this exam as well as my AS resit for it.
Original post by Beat
How would you go about last minute wider reading? In class we just bought in some extracts from other books and went through them as a class but I'm really panicky. Should I have a few quotes or would it be better to have a thorough understanding of the texts instead? I feel so ill prepared for this exam as well as my AS resit for it.

If you want to get above a D at most, you NEED quotes. Quotes strengthen your line of argument and show your true understanding of a text. Without evidence, your argument will sound less convincing. You get the most marks for AO1 (which is your written expression), so without quotes you're looking at less than half marks.

At least have 6-10 quotes. Your exam in in just under a month, thats enough time to read a few poems and at least one or two dramas. Its okay about prose. But you should definitely have a few quotes from a few genres if youre pressed for time.

The understanding of the text is just as important to be honest. Its not more or less. But if you just regurgitate thw plot, it will really make your a level essay seem like a ks3, possibly low ks4 at best (especially without quotes).

However, if your comparative skills are like amazing, you might just scrape the exam. Some people have got A's in their exams just by mentioning 3 texts but that's because their analytical skill is superb.

Nevertheless. Anythin by Tennessee Williams is short and amazing. I really recommend Cat on a Hot Tin Roof. It deals with suppressed sexuality, a loveless marriage, and father-son issues too.
And read and get quotes for a couple of poems i say 3. And you stand a good chance in the exam.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending