The Student Room Group

My boyfriend has stopped putting in effort?

He is 18 and I'm 17. In total we have been together for 1.5 years, but we have broken up twice due to the fact that he didn't think he was doing a good job at being my boyfriend and making me happy, and he thought I deserved better. He began to want to see me less, text me less and in general seemed less interested, and began to talk to others which made me feel very paranoid and anxious, and I ended up becoming more clingy.
The second time we got back together we were only together for 2 months as he began to distance himself again, and we ended up breaking up again.
Back in February we got back together and he was jealous that i was beginning to talk to other guys.
The first month or so of the relationship was great, he put in so much effort, for example we would call most nights on the phone, we would meet up a lot, and he was so affectionate and caring.
Due to the fact that it's the exam months and he's doing his A-Levels he has become to be distant again, for example we hardly meet up anymore as he always says he needs to revise, but he is able to meet his mates 3-4 times a week because they ask, but I've tried asking loads and he always cancels.

We never call anymore either, and he takes ages to reply to my messages, and I see him once a week if I'm lucky.
I know the majority of the advice would be to talk to him about it, but I've tried that several times in the past and it doesn't help anything, in fact it makes it worse because by me telling him how I want him to 'improve', it makes him distance himself as he doesn't think he's doing a good enough job.
Whenever he begins to distance himself, I begin to become more clingy and I hate it. I don't know why he's stopped putting as much effort in, he is able to see his mates all the time, but never has any time for me.
He has said before to me that when he's in a relationship he tends to not realize his love for that individual until they are gone, for example how he would distance himself and once he saw me talking to other girls over social media, that is when he began to miss me.
To conclude, is there any way he can begin to put more effort in like he used to? Talking to him isn't an option because he will begin to distance himself more because he will think he's not good enough, and he'll think I'm having a go at him and trying to improve him and our relationship, and I have tried giving him space before, for example once I didn't message him all day back in November (before we broke up the last time), and I was hoping for him to miss me, but instead he got mad at me for not messaging him.
I don't want to seem too disinterested in him and play hard to get because he will begin to think that I don't want to be with him anymore and he will distance himself, but I don't want to come on too strong.

Scroll to see replies

Hey, are you sitting your AS exams this summer? If so, I'd say focus on your exams first because really, that is the thing that will last for a long time and stay with you. I've been in 2 relationships and my current one is more chilled, and we don't meet very often as well because of the upcoming exams. I'd say you should try to speak to him and be genuine about your worry, because it seems like you are quite clueless about most of the things that are happening now. Try asking him if he really is committed to this relationship and whether he wants it to last. If he is, give him time to sort things out. If not, I'd say that you should set this aside and move on (I had to force myself to do this in my previous relationship) it's going to be hard and it sounds impossible now, but it has to be done eventually if you realise that your partner simply doesn't prioritise you. There are tons of wonderful guys out there, don't restrict yourself to the same person if you feel underappreciated! Nevertheless, here's wishing you well :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by butterflyalwaysx
He is 18 and I'm 17. In total we have been together for 1.5 years, but we have broken up twice due to the fact that he didn't think he was doing a good job at being my boyfriend and making me happy, and he thought I deserved better. He began to want to see me less, text me less and in general seemed less interested, and began to talk to others which made me feel very paranoid and anxious, and I ended up becoming more clingy.
The second time we got back together we were only together for 2 months as he began to distance himself again, and we ended up breaking up again.
Back in February we got back together and he was jealous that i was beginning to talk to other guys.
The first month or so of the relationship was great, he put in so much effort, for example we would call most nights on the phone, we would meet up a lot, and he was so affectionate and caring.
Due to the fact that it's the exam months and he's doing his A-Levels he has become to be distant again, for example we hardly meet up anymore as he always says he needs to revise, but he is able to meet his mates 3-4 times a week because they ask, but I've tried asking loads and he always cancels.

We never call anymore either, and he takes ages to reply to my messages, and I see him once a week if I'm lucky.
I know the majority of the advice would be to talk to him about it, but I've tried that several times in the past and it doesn't help anything, in fact it makes it worse because by me telling him how I want him to 'improve', it makes him distance himself as he doesn't think he's doing a good enough job.
Whenever he begins to distance himself, I begin to become more clingy and I hate it. I don't know why he's stopped putting as much effort in, he is able to see his mates all the time, but never has any time for me.
He has said before to me that when he's in a relationship he tends to not realize his love for that individual until they are gone, for example how he would distance himself and once he saw me talking to other girls over social media, that is when he began to miss me.
To conclude, is there any way he can begin to put more effort in like he used to? Talking to him isn't an option because he will begin to distance himself more because he will think he's not good enough, and he'll think I'm having a go at him and trying to improve him and our relationship, and I have tried giving him space before, for example once I didn't message him all day back in November (before we broke up the last time), and I was hoping for him to miss me, but instead he got mad at me for not messaging him.
I don't want to seem too disinterested in him and play hard to get because he will begin to think that I don't want to be with him anymore and he will distance himself, but I don't want to come on too strong.

Sounds doomful.
You are going to have to get used to the fact that relationships have a lifespan and it would seem this one has reached its end. The only way to get hi to put more effort in, is if he wants to. If he doesnt want to, because hes bored, isnt interested enough, then its time to let it go. Its natural and you will encounter this again in your next boyfriend. Let this one go imo and dont be too sad as you lasted a year and a half, which is pretty good. If you are going to Uni, then there will be plenty of opportunitues to find a new one who is fun and interested in being your bf. Exams are more importnat.
Original post by rosemondtan
Hey, are you sitting your AS exams this summer? If so, I'd say focus on your exams first because really, that is the thing that will last for a long time and stay with you. I've been in 2 relationships and my current one is more chilled, and we don't meet very often as well because of the upcoming exams. I'd say you should try to speak to him and be genuine about your worry, because it seems like you are quite clueless about most of the things that are happening now. Try asking him if he really is committed to this relationship and whether he wants it to last. If he is, give him time to sort things out. If not, I'd say that you should set this aside and move on (I had to force myself to do this in my previous relationship) it's going to be hard and it sounds impossible now, but it has to be done eventually if you realise that your partner simply doesn't prioritise you. There are tons of wonderful guys out there, don't restrict yourself to the same person if you feel underappreciated! Nevertheless, here's wishing you well :smile:

Thank you! I don't particularly think it's a good idea for me to talk to him about the situation because from past experiences it makes him feel bad about himself and he ends up distancing himself more because he feels like he is unable to make me happy. And yes I am focusing on my exams, I'm ensuring I can balance a relationship and exams well.
Original post by 999tigger
You are going to have to get used to the fact that relationships have a lifespan and it would seem this one has reached its end. The only way to get hi to put more effort in, is if he wants to. If he doesnt want to, because hes bored, isnt interested enough, then its time to let it go. Its natural and you will encounter this again in your next boyfriend. Let this one go imo and dont be too sad as you lasted a year and a half, which is pretty good. If you are going to Uni, then there will be plenty of opportunitues to find a new one who is fun and interested in being your bf. Exams are more importnat.

I completely agree, thank you! What I don't understand however is that if our relationship has ran its course, is that any of our faults? Could I prevent it from happening? I tried being a good girlfriend to him, but he just doesn't seem like he is wanting to put in the same effort as he once did.
I completely agree, thank you! What I don't understand however is that if our relationship has ran its course, is that any of our faults? Could I prevent it from happening? I tried being a good girlfriend to him, but he just doesn't seem like he is wanting to put in the same effort as he once did.

I dont know your relationship, but its natural that many of them dont last, because the one that will, you might end up marrying.

Maybe one day and if he is mature enough or your friend, then he will tell you.
If you were making an effort and talking to him, then thats all he cna expect. Many people just ive up and put no effort in so you are ahead. You have to get both sides putting the effort in or it wont last. One side working hard isnt going to work.

Learn from it and use it in the next relationship. Being fun to be with, not nagging or too needy helps, but the bf can helps as well. If you are making an effort and willing to talk then you are off to a good start.

You might like this article, which is a study on he average number of relationships a women might have before settlng down. Its just to give you an idea that you are going to have several bfs, before you find one you really like and want to settle with. Imo just finish with this one as it looks to have run its course and dont drag it out.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/picturegalleries/howaboutthat/10545810/Average-woman-will-kiss-15-men-and-be-heartbroken-twice-before-meeting-The-One-study-reveals.html
Original post by phil5six
Sounds doomful.

i think this is basically the reply everyone here makes when theres a thread about a relationship hitting rocky roads.
'sounds doomful'
'its time to end it'
'leave him'

fact is when one partner becomes distant, it becomes a very common situation. That doesnt merit a breakup.

I'd suggest OP waits it out until after exam seasons, focus in being less clingy and dependent on him - whilst also not neglecting. I can bet real money that once he notices OP becoming less dependent he will come running back, and they can start fresh (meaning that boyfriend can become a better boyfriend whilst OP can gain some control over the relationship)

well tbh if i was in a relationship, i'd probably ease of a little just to get a bit more studying and revision done....

maybe his mates are with him and around him constantly and maybe he even does revision with them?
Original post by thefatone
well tbh if i was in a relationship, i'd probably ease of a little just to get a bit more studying and revision done....

maybe his mates are with him and around him constantly and maybe he even does revision with them?

They don't, they go out to the pub together and go on drives.
They don't, they go out to the pub together and go on drives.

i see, maybe sometimes he could spend it out with you?.....

then again maybe it's more stress free and more relaxing the way he hangs out with his mates compared to you???
i see, maybe sometimes he could spend it out with you?.....

then again maybe it's more stress free and more relaxing the way he hangs out with his mates compared to you???

I get the feeling that it's more stress free when he's hanging out with his friends, hence why he doesn't want to hang around me during exam months, but how do I ensure that it'd stress free when with me too?
Your boyfriend is taking you for granted if he still acts distant after exams than you need to think whether you want to waste your time on someone who can't be bothered, you know you are putting in effort and if it ends again for the 3rd time or 4th time he has himself to blame that he let you go.

You are both 17/18 I wouldn't be too sad if things don't work out you can enjoy your freedom and meet other guys instead of being tied down in a loveless relationship.
I get the feeling that it's more stress free when he's hanging out with his friends, hence why he doesn't want to hang around me during exam months, but how do I ensure that it'd stress free when with me too?

:/ not sure.....

wait why doesn't he wanna hang around you around exam months? maybe it's because he feels like he has to look nice and make an effort for you?
Original post by chikane
Your boyfriend is taking you for granted if he still acts distant after exams than you need to think whether you want to waste your time on someone who can't be bothered, you know you are putting in effort and if it ends again for the 3rd time or 4th time he has himself to blame that he let you go.

You are both 17/18 I wouldn't be too sad if things don't work out you can enjoy your freedom and meet other guys instead of being tied down in a loveless relationship.

Thank you, I completely agree!!
:/ not sure.....

wait why doesn't he wanna hang around you around exam months? maybe it's because he feels like he has to look nice and make an effort for you?

He never makes an effort, he practically wears the same clothes every day, never before in his life has he made an effort with his appearance for me, so that's definitely not the reason
Original post by chikane

This is exactly what i think :biggrin:
He never makes an effort, he practically wears the same clothes every day, never before in his life has he made an effort with his appearance for me, so that's definitely not the reason

hmmm, maybe the love is just gone???
hmmm, maybe the love is just gone???

I think you're correct unfortunately, but I don't feel as if I can breakup with him, I love him.
Thank you, I completely agree!!

You should, I have wasted time on people I loved who didn't show the same back and one regret I had was why am I wasting so much of my time when there are other people who would appreciate me. I had someone who was so closed off and wouldn't let me in to what was going on in their life
So I walked away as I had enough trying and they didn't even fight for me to stay.

Just know you did all you could and it's his fault if things end if he wants to come out with the same ******** excuse just don't go back to him if you break up again you already broken up twice!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending