The Student Room Group

likely 15 markers for coasts, population , rivers and health 2016

hey guys does anyone have any idea of what the 15m are likely to be for these topics in the exam this year it would be really helpful :smile:
Its hard to predict because there are so many possibilities but maybe managing population change(One Child Policy and France's "Code de Famille" for population. Also for rivers, impacts/causes of river flooding in two contrasting areas of the world?(Bangladesh 2007 and Carlisle 2005)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by WilmaWizard
Its hard to predict because there are so many possibilities but maybe managing population change(One Child Policy and France's "Code de Famille" for population. Also for rivers, impacts/causes of river flooding in two contrasting areas of the world?(Bangladesh 2007 and Carlisle 2005)

That would be a dream come true.
I have a feeling that for health, a case study on infectious diseases will come up :smile:
Reply 4

That would honestly be the best thing ever
Reply 5
Original post by typicalvirgo
I have a feeling that for health, a case study on infectious diseases will come up :smile:

I really hope so
I hope that for Health a TNC question comes up. For Population I would love a theories on population (eg. Boserup, Malthus, or the Club of Rome)? What do you think?
Reply 7
Can you please explain Boserup and Malthus in a simple way??
Original post by Simran G
Can you please explain Boserup and Malthus in a simple way??

Like in a really simple way?

Malthus' theory states that pop. increases at a geometric rate (1,2,4,8...) while resources (food etc.) increase at an arithmetic rate (1,2,3,4...) - so when pop. exceeds resources there will be a ''Malthusian Catastrophe'' (a major catastrophe). The evidence for this is that the world's pop. is at around 7.4 billion; however, while there are local famines, none were global, and Malthus' theory does not take into account scientific research and breakthroughs, (Friedrich Engels says that).

Boserup on the other hand is optimistic, saying that resources will not fall due to things like agricultural intensification, providing food for the population (which is increasing). The evidence for this is GMO crops (which 'help' to increase crop yields and reduce plagues). However, Boserup's theory is in a ''closed society'' s does not take things into account like migration which may affect resources.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by OliwierEB
I hope that for Health a TNC question comes up. For Population I would love a theories on population (eg. Boserup, Malthus, or the Club of Rome)? What do you think?

That one came up last year so not sure (TNC for health)
my geography teacher has predicted youthful for population and malnutrition or obesity for health.
the physical topics are hard to predict as they are so varied.
I didn't know they could ask us specifically about Malthus and Boserup in a question because it isn't mentioned on the specification ,although its in the textbook, but I reckon there could be a question where we could use these theories to support your answer.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 13
I didn't know they could ask us specifically about Malthus and Boserup in a question because it isn't mentioned on the specification ,although its in the textbook, but I reckon there could be a question where we could use these theories to support your answer.

Yeah thats what I was thinking! There also hasn't been any mentioned about the theory's in past papers so not too sure!
Reply 14
Original post by OliwierEB
Like in a really simple way?

Malthus' theory states that pop. increases at a geometric rate (1,2,4,8...) while resources (food etc.) increase at an algorithmic rate (1,2,3,4...) - so when pop. exceeds resources there will be a ''Malthusian Catastrophe'' (a major catastrophe). The evidence for this is that the world's pop. is at around 7.4 billion; however, while there are local famines, none were global, and Malthus' theory does not take into account scientific research and breakthroughs, (Friedrich Engels says that).

Boserup on the other hand is optimistic, saying that resources will not fall due to things like agricultural intensification, providing food for the population (which is increasing). The evidence for this is GMO crops (which 'help' to increase crop yields and reduce plagues). However, Boserup's theory is in a ''closed society'' s does not take things into account like migration which may affect resources.

Thank you that was very clear. Never understood it till now!
Original post by Simran G
Thank you that was very clear. Never understood it till now!

Glad I could help!
Reply 16
Predictions??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending