The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Plantagenet Crown
I've been to several Islamic countries

London doesn't count, and neither does Spain (for the last couple of hundred years). :teehee:
Original post by BubbleBoobies
"While all versions of Islam suggest a woman should dress modestly, often covering her hair and body, Saudi Arabia is one of the only Muslim-majority countries that legally imposes a dress code (Iran is another). Women, foreign and local, must wear an abaya (a few get away with long coats) in public places. Muslim—often equated with Saudi—women are said to have to wear a headscarf; foreigners needn’t. The face need not be covered, much to the chagrin of some hardliners. There are margins and uncertainties, too. The western coastal of Jeddah is far more relaxed than Riyadh, with abayas often brightly coloured or worn open to expose the clothing beneath. At home with relatives, in compounds and all-female settings, women can shed their outer layers. At some posh private Red Sea resorts, they go in bikinis. While many women head to aeroplane lavatories just before landing, not being fully covered is tolerated in the airport."

^like I said, it's only specific areas where you aren't made to wear it
and I don't know about it really but it could be because you're a foreigner, like the article says

Okay sweetie ,
Have you ever seen the Abaya that is a really big deal for everyone ?
1)Most of the abayas here doesn't follow the rules of Hijab
2) It looks like dresses at the moment
3) there are many colours for it
4) At some point some people made it a jumpsuit

Media loves exaggerate simple stuff . My friends are all 16 and 17 , they are not Hijabis . They don't wear a head scarf , they walk with an open Abaya and nothing happens . About the Islamic police or watever you guys call it , those are here to avoid random guys to hangout with random girls (eg. date and so on ) , avoid any non-islamic act ( eg. kissing or flirting ) .

I hope you got an idea about what is going on here .
Original post by Josb
So you could go in the streets without your hijab if you wanted to?

Of course , my friends do that and they r 16 and 17 .
Reply 323
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Exactly, the quote of mine you put in speech marks has the word "most" in it and you claimed I said no Muslim men wear it when I clearly didn't.

Most Muslim men in the West don't wear it and I've been to several Islamic countries where again, the majority of Muslim men wore no such thing.

oh my daze at least read my reply before saying something. I admitted i was wrong about the fact that u actually said most don't.As for the other part i assure you if u ever go to the uae (thats countries such as dubai, saudi arabia etc..) about 85%+ of the men who live there (not tourists) wear that
search it up if u dont believe and i don't mean other muslim countries such as bangladesh, pakistan etc. and even in the western countries some wear as i said my mosque teacher does just because u don't see it doesn't mean its not common.
as i said in my comment before your first 2 comments on this made it sound like it was bad for men to wear such headwear. that's the only reason i replied. As when we go to hajj it is mandatory to wear as i said before please at least read my whole comment instead of making me repeat it as if your a fool who needs to be told multiple times one thing.
Original post by Hydeman
So, let me get this straight: you are claiming that you could choose to walk around without a hijab and abaya in a public place where the religious police will note this?

Without Hijab for sure .
Abaya is a dress that all ladies here wear so not this but if I wore a dress similar to abaya that is totally okay .
Original post by Saly_Elkady

Where in Saudi do you live?
Without Hijab for sure .
Abaya is a dress that all ladies here wear so not this but if I wore a dress similar to abaya that is totally okay .

Unfortunately for you, I know that this isn't true. You may be able to get away with a lot on the (quite reasonable) presumption that the odds of coming across someone who's lived in KSA on this website are almost nil, but I lived there for 10 years, and it's a straight out lie to say that you wouldn't get in trouble with the religious police if they were to see you in public not wearing an abaya and a hijab.

'Abaya is a dress that all ladies here wear [by choice, presumably].' Ha. The abaya isn't a dress in its own right -- it's worn on top of other clothes, hence why people tend to take it off when they're indoors. You don't do that with regular clothes, except in very particular circumstances.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Yellow 03
The hijab is an enforcible, legal requirement in Saudi Arabia. It's great that it is your choice to wear it, because even if it was not, you still would.

Well , this is another wrong idea . Hijab is not forced , it could be the Abaya but not Hijab . Real life example , ik loads of people who hangout without hijab .
Original post by teenhorrorstory
Where in Saudi do you live?

Jeddah
Original post by yhyh
oh my daze at least read my reply before saying something. I admitted i was wrong about the fact that u actually said most don't.As for the other part i assure you if u ever go to the uae (thats countries such as dubai, saudi arabia etc..) about 85%+ of the men who live there (not tourists) wear that
search it up if u dont believe and i don't mean other muslim countries such as bangladesh, pakistan etc. and even in the western countries some wear as i said my mosque teacher does just because u don't see it doesn't mean its not common.
as i said in my comment before your first 2 comments on this made it sound like it was bad for men to wear such headwear. that's the only reason i replied. As when we go to hajj it is mandatory to wear as i said before please at least read my whole comment instead of making me repeat it as if your a fool who needs to be told multiple times one thing.

I'm speaking about the West and even in the Islamic world the majority of Muslim men don't go round wearing that on their head. And no, I didn't say or imply it was a bad thing, you made up that interpretation yourself.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Hydeman
Unfortunately for you, I know that this isn't true. You may be able to get away with a lot on the (quite reasonable) presumption that the odds of coming across someone who's lived in KSA on this website are almost nil, but I lived there for 10 years, and it's a straight out lie to say that you wouldn't get in trouble with the religious police if they were to see you in public not wearing an abaya and a hijab.

'Abaya is a dress that all ladies here wear [by choice, presumably].' Ha. The abaya isn't a dress in its own right -- it's worn on top of other clothes, hence why people tend to take it off when they're indoors. You don't do that with regular clothes, except in very particular circumstances.

Lived is a past tense hun
I am still living here and you don't get in trouble if u r not wearing a head scarf at all . About replacing the Abaya with a dress looking SIMILAR to the Abaya is something noticed nowadays . Plus I am not lying , this is real . Not really my problem if u r basing ur judgement on the rules before 2010 , we r in 2016 .
Reply 331
You expect us to believe that?
Reply 332
About the Islamic police or watever you guys call it , those are here to avoid random guys to hangout with random girls (eg. date and so on ) , avoid any non-islamic act ( eg. kissing or flirting ) .

I hope you got an idea about what is going on here .

Urgh, you're trying to pass off horrible oppression as being for your own good.
before taking any decision, first of all ,sit somewhere alone and deeply think on your own, about the reason why girls should wear hijab in Islam ... don't just think about the bad point but you must think about the good ones too ,then only u will be able to take a good decision ....:h:
Lived is a past tense hun

I've been gone five years, not fifty, 'hun.'

I am still living here and you don't get in trouble if u r not wearing a head scarf at all .

And where, exactly, do you live? My relatives in Riyadh have experienced no such drastic rule changes.

. About replacing the Abaya with a dress looking SIMILAR to the Abaya is something noticed nowadays

An abaya is not a dress anymore than a raincoat is a dress. Whether it's been replaced with something similar is of zero relevance to the discussion of whether it's a requirement to wear one or not.

Not really my problem if u r basing ur judgement on the rules before 2010 , we r in 2016 .

Oh, there was a rule change in 2010? And what's your evidence for this? You'll need more than just your word to prove that the religious police have somehow stopped being the petty ex-convicts that they always have been, in a period as short as you claim.

If anything, the rules have been more stringently enforced since January of last year with respect to abayas.

You may as well give it up. It's obvious even to the members who haven't been to KSA that you're either deluded or trying to fool others into thinking that things are more liberal than they think.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 335
Original post by Reue
Urgh, you're trying to pass off horrible oppression as being for your own good.

It's like if someone from North-Korea said: "Everything is fine here, we can eat as much as we want. The political police is just there to prevent people from stealing food."
Well , this is another wrong idea . Hijab is not forced , it could be the Abaya but not Hijab . Real life example , ik loads of people who hangout without hijab .

And I know a countless number of girls who are forced to wear it. In fact, the other day, I was speaking with one of my friends and she was telling me how she did not like wearing the hijab. She felt like it was a burden. But guess what? She was afraid of taking it off. I will allow you to ask yourself why.

Every time someone tells me the hijab is not forced, I ask them this: how would her community, her friends, her family react if she chose to take the hijab off? You can sugar the matter all you like but the truth is clear: many women continue to wear it (and say they are wearing it 'for themselves') when in reality they are merely wearing it because they fear what would happen if they decided to remove it.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Coolsul98
Bull**** Gods most merciful, remember that. Take it off? Just do it if you dont like it. Gods doesnt hate us, were his most beloved creation ! talk to God. Dont listen to this "islam is oppressive" crap. :smile:

Thank you :smile:
Original post by Legendary Quest
And I know a countless number of girls who are forced to wear it. In fact, the other day, I was speaking with one of my friends and she was telling me how she did not like wearing the hijab. She felt like it was a burden. But guess what? She was afraid of taking it off. I will allow you to ask yourself why.

Every time someone tells me the hijab is not forced, I ask them this: how would her community, her friends, her family react if she chose to take the hijab off? You can sugar the matter all you like but the truth is clear: many women continue to wear it (and say they are wearing it 'for themselves') when in reality they are merely wearing it because they fear what would happen if they decided to remove it.

She is wrong, but I think she's talking about the case of legal enforcement of the hijab in Saudi Arabia, specifically. :colondollar:
Original post by Hydeman
She is wrong, but I think she's talking about the case of legal enforcement of the hijab in Saudi Arabia, specifically. :colondollar:

Oh right, my apologies then. :colondollar:
I'll just fly away... :trytofly:

Latest

Trending

Trending