The Student Room Group

If I pick up 3 NEW A-LEVELS in my gap year? Will it count?

I want to privately study 3 A-levels in my gap year. Will it count towards my university application. This is on top of the 3 that I will have already.
Original post by I can't fail!
I want to privately study 3 A-levels in my gap year. Will it count towards my university application. This is on top of the 3 that I will have already.

Depends on the uni but they are likely to count that as a second sitting.

I'm doing exactly this (although, my previous a-levels were the scottish equivalent and I'm doing Maths again), will be heading to Warwick hopefully this October, or Bristol if I miss out on an A*.
Original post by Princepieman
I'm doing exactly this (although, my previous a-levels were the scottish equivalent and I'm doing Maths again), will be heading to Warwick hopefully this October, or Bristol if I miss out on an A*.

good luck! :smile:

I want to pick up maths as one of them. I may get a tutor to help but I will be sitting it as a private candidate. What did you put down on your UCAS application?
good luck! :smile:

I want to pick up maths as one of them. I may get a tutor to help but I will be sitting it as a private candidate. What did you put down on your UCAS application?

Thanks!

Yeah, Maths is a great a level to self teach, I'd definitely recommend it! Generally, I'd say stick to the non-coursework heavy a levels as it makes life a lot easier.

I put down all my previous qualifications and got my private tutor to do a reference.
I wouldn't do it because sometimes universities can be adamant that you should have completed all your A levels within the two-year period of sixth form.

Plus it wouldn't be much of a gap year if you're trying to learn 3 A levels in that one year.

Also, how would you even be able to include them on a university application? You wouldn't be able to get predicted grades, and so you'd have to wait for the second year after you finish sixth form when you actually have the grades to apply.
Reply 6
What are the subjects that you will be studying and what are the subjects you will be doing?

Damn three in a year how is that going?

And which three you doing?
Original post by lolatmaths
Damn three in a year how is that going?

And which three you doing?

Pretty chill tbh.. Econ doesn't even require that nuch learning, it's all keywords + really long chains of common sense (this decreases, this increases, equilibrium shifts to here blah blah blah) and evaluation/application to the real world. Maths is maths, past papers and textbook Qs.

I'm doing Maths, Further Maths and Econ.
Original post by Abstract_Prism
I wouldn't do it because sometimes universities can be adamant that you should have completed all your A levels within the two-year period of sixth form.

Plus it wouldn't be much of a gap year if you're trying to learn 3 A levels in that one year.

Also, how would you even be able to include them on a university application? You wouldn't be able to get predicted grades, and so you'd have to wait for the second year after you finish sixth form when you actually have the grades to apply.

I assure you most universities don't care.. I called up all of the universities I was interested in (all top ones, including Oxford) and they were fine with it.

You can get predicted grades from a private tutor.

The bit about it being 'not much of a gap year' is false. Once you strip out all of the teacher bullcrap you deal with in school (unnecessary assignments, homework etc), you only have to dedicate a few hours a day to it. The rest of the time is yours.
Pretty chill tbh.. Econ doesn't even require that nuch learning, it's all keywords + really long chains of common sense (this decreases, this increases, equilibrium shifts to here blah blah blah) and evaluation/application to the real world. Maths is maths, past papers and textbook Qs.

I'm doing Maths, Further Maths and Econ.

Wow thats impressive, im doing the same but physics too :frown:

Seems like self teaching is better than college then lol
I assure you most universities don't care.. I called up all of the universities I was interested in (all top ones, including Oxford) and they were fine with it.

You can get predicted grades from a private tutor.

The bit about it being 'not much of a gap year' is false. Once you strip out all of the teacher bullcrap you deal with in school (unnecessary assignments, homework etc), you only have to dedicate a few hours a day to it. The rest of the time is yours.

My idea of a gap year is not doing any work at all. :biggrin:

And my issue would be that I wouldn't have access to a private tutor. If I did it I would be entirely self-teaching, which means I wouldn't be able to get a predicted grade.

And fair enough about the top point, I suppose I was mistaken. Perhaps I was mixing it up with where I heard they don't like you retaking a year.
Original post by Abstract_Prism
My idea of a gap year is not doing any work at all. :biggrin:

And my issue would be that I wouldn't have access to a private tutor. If I did it I would be entirely self-teaching, which means I wouldn't be able to get a predicted grade.

And fair enough about the top point, I suppose I was mistaken. Perhaps I was mixing it up with where I heard they don't like you retaking a year.

I only used my private tutor for a few lessons so he could gauge my ability enough to give me predicted grades, everything else was on me.

Not necessarily true regarding the retaking comment.. I know many a retaker with interviews at Oxbridge and offers at other top unis without any hassles. I believe it's only an issue for Medicine (even then, not at all universities) and some (quite a small number) universities for Law.

Quick Reply

Latest