The Student Room Group

A-Level Choices

Hello everyone,

I'm coming to the end of my GCSEs now, and it's essential that I start to get to grips with what I'm doing for my sixth form choices. I would really appreciate your help with this.

Firstly, I will, if all goes to plan, have the option to do four subjects, and, for definite, the first three are: Physics, Maths and Further Maths. However, I am totally lost on what to do for my last one. I understand how easy it would be to just drop the idea of four A-Levels but, in my opinion, it can't hurt my University application as well as my CV.
Initially, I was thinking Media Studies, just to break it up a bit, but I didn't do Media Studies for GCSE, and to me, it seems like a challenge to jump from no experience straight to A-Level. I'm currently on the idea of doing Chemistry as my fourth, but I was wondering would that be too much for my workload?

Anyways, thanks for your help with this.

Best Regards

Tommy
Reply 1
Hi,

My advice would be to either just stick with those three or pick a slightly easier option for your fourth as those options are extremely hard and there will be a lot of work load. I went straight into doing 3 Alevel subjects without studying them at GCSE and honestly it was fine:smile: I find Alevel maths extremely hard so good luck with further haha!

Good luck for whatever you decide to do:smile:

Carla
Hi Tommy, have you got any ideas for what you want to do after sixth form (a particular degree subject, for example)?

Those choices all go well together, and they are all strong subjects! I think that for some degrees though (at certain universities), maths and further maths are considered to be equal to one A Level instead of two, so that's something to bear in mind :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Leviathan1741
Hi Tommy, have you got any ideas for what you want to do after sixth form (a particular degree subject, for example)?

Those choices all go well together, and they are all strong subjects! I think that for some degrees though (at certain universities), maths and further maths are considered to be equal to one A Level instead of two, so that's something to bear in mind :smile:

Hey guys - thanks for the replies. I'm interested in going to Oxford to do Physics or if results go really well then maybe check out Cambridge (but I don't like the way their science undergrad programme is). Something with physics, generally. And i wasn't aware of the basically combined a level of maths and further, so thank you.

Have you guys got any choices that are good for a backup that looks good on a CV or something that's generally non-stressful etc?

Cheers
Original post by Tommy Irons
Hey guys - thanks for the replies. I'm interested in going to Oxford to do Physics or if results go really well then maybe check out Cambridge (but I don't like the way their science undergrad programme is). Something with physics, generally. And i wasn't aware of the basically combined a level of maths and further, so thank you.

Have you guys got any choices that are good for a backup that looks good on a CV or something that's generally non-stressful etc?

Cheers

No problem. What do you mean by a backup? :smile:
Reply 5
No problem. What do you mean by a backup? :smile:

I mean something that is well respected/thought of within employers that I can use to get a job on the side of studying for my future career. So, for example, would a 'Critical Thinking' AS be a good option?

Cheers
Reply 6
I mean something that is well respected/thought of within employers that I can use to get a job on the side of studying for my future career. So, for example, would a 'Critical Thinking' AS be a good option?

Cheers

Critical Thinking, and General Studies, are not considered for offers at many universities.

Oxbridge will be happy with the A-levels you have.

But maybe do an EPQ as an extra element.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cheers

Critical Thinking isn't very well regarded by universities, and is rarely included in offers. The A Levels you have are strong and well respected, so I don't think you really need anything extra. Like jneill said, an EPQ could be good if you want to show your commitment to the subject further (by researching a topic related to your chosen degree for example) :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by jneill
Critical Thinking, and General Studies, are not considered for offers at many universities.

Oxbridge will be happy with the A-levels you have.

But maybe do an EPQ as an extra element.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Critical Thinking isn't very well regarded by universities, and is rarely included in offers. The A Levels you have are strong and well respected, so I don't think you really need anything extra. Like jneill said, an EPQ could be good if you want to show your commitment to the subject further (by researching a topic related to your chosen degree for example) :smile:

This is great! Thank you so much for the help guys :biggrin:
This is great! Thank you so much for the help guys :biggrin:

You're welcome! Good luck! :smile:
I agree with the others - your current a level choices are already very solid for a physics or related degree (eg maths, engineering). I wouldn't bother with critical thinking, it's pretty pointless (I did the AS and was a complete waste of two hours a week). If you really want to do another subject, either pick something you enjoy just for the fun if it (eg media studies), but bear in mind that doing this extra subject us unlikely to have any impact on your chance of getting into a top uni since they are only really interested in a levels relevent to the degree, or else pick a complementary subject like chemistry to keep more options open if you aren't sure what degree to do (particularly relevent if you're considering Cambridge - with just maths and physics a levels you would have a very limited module selection for NatSci, but add in Chemistry and all module options are open to you).

If you think the workload might be too much at all, then just stick with the three subjects you have already chosen - it's far better to have three really good grades than four mediocre ones.

Quick Reply

Latest