The Student Room Group
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website

Kent Law: only 2A*s at GCSE & sitting AS in Year 13 - is it a disadvantage?

I am currently in Year 12 and considering applying for law at Kent. I got 2A*s and 8As at GCSE.

I only recently changed sixth forms and A level subjects. Because of this, I've missed the opportunity to sit my AS French exam this year. I plan on sitting the exam next year when I'm in Year 13. I am studying History, English Literature and Economics to A2.

I wanted to do four A2 levels to make my application more competitive because I only got 2A*s at GCSE. However, I am unable to do that because of the situation with my AS French.

Considering my GCSEs, will doing an AS in Year 13, and only 3 A2 levels in a relatively narrow range of subjects (all humanities/essay based) disadvantage my application to the law school?
No

'Only 3 A2's.' smh
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website
you're in pretty good stead for law, 8as and 2a stars are fantastic results lol
Reply 3
Original post by Abstract_Prism
No

'Only 3 A2's.' smh

Okay, thank you. I was just wondering because Kent is after all a Top 20 university for Law. It's competitive and asking for AAA at A2 so I just wanted to see where I stand. :smile:
Original post by studysomeone
Okay, thank you. I was just wondering because Kent is after all a Top 20 university for Law. It's competitive and asking for AAA at A2 so I just wanted to see where I stand. :smile:

Even the number one university only asks for 3 A levels.
Original post by studysomeone
I am currently in Year 12 and considering applying for law at Kent. I got 2A*s and 8As at GCSE.

I only recently changed sixth forms and A level subjects. Because of this, I've missed the opportunity to sit my AS French exam this year. I plan on sitting the exam next year when I'm in Year 13. I am studying History, English Literature and Economics to A2.

I wanted to do four A2 levels to make my application more competitive because I only got 2A*s at GCSE. However, I am unable to do that because of the situation with my AS French.

Considering my GCSEs, will doing an AS in Year 13, and only 3 A2 levels in a relatively narrow range of subjects (all humanities/essay based) disadvantage my application to the law school?

I don't think your grades will be a problem whatsoever. Your grades are really good, the law school will understand your AS French issue, just make sure you tell them! The law school is very understanding on a range of issues, I can vouch for that. The number of A*s you got at GCSE is not an issue at all, hell I only got one and I'm doing well in my first year here!

I did English Literature, Government and Politics and Psychology as my A2 subjects, nothing wrong with having a narrow range of subjects! In fact, doing all essay subjects will stand you in good stead for the assignments the law school sets. Also, 3 A2 subjects is the norm so it's the furthest thing from unusual.

Only advice I'd give is make sure your personal statement is strong. You can have excellent grades but a weak PS and you're less likely to get an offer.

Have some faith in yourself! You seem to be doing very well! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest