The Student Room Group

Was I let down by this job trial?

Hi everyone, this is my first forum; I hope revision is going well and the GCSE\A-Level revision isn't too stressful! I'm going to restart my a levels as I don't like where I am and despise the subject choices I had taken, this means I will have a lot of free time over Summer. For this reason, I am looking for a job. I applied to a very high end hairdressers, they only have 4 salons in the UK and are well known in the fashion industry. I have no work experience and while I was getting my hair washed there a few weeks ago, the assistant told me to apply as she was the same age as me (16) when she applied and had no experience either so told me it was worth a shot. I handed a CV in the next day and was told I would receive a call on Wednesday just gone. I waited until all day Wednesday and an hour before the salon was going to shut I decided to call up as I hadn't heard anything. When I rang up they told me to come for a trial for 2 hours on Saturday. So Saturday came and I stuck to the all black uniform policy, travelled 30 minutes on the train, got there early and started at 10. They told me vaguely what to do, help serve drinks, tidy up, clean up, keep people welcome etc.. As I was doing this I got to know the staff and they all said I was just what they needed. I then told did over-time, no one told me to leave or stop so from the 2 hours original trial I ended up staying till 2:30 (extra 2.5 hours). Just before I left, the person who was looking after me, thanked me and said I will let you know on Wednesday if you have the job. However, it all depends on senior management as we need to keep costs low, so we aren't sure if we are able to hire you but I will put in a good word.. I was really upset afterwards; I don't understand why they would offer me a trial day if they may not be able to afford to hire me. Do you think I have the job and do you have any similar experiences when they have said it depends on management? I feel as if they used that as an excuse to basically say they didn't want me. The 2 assistances Were so stressed with so much work and both said it would be a blessing if I joined.. I really want this job and would love to work for this company! Please comment any experiences/advice below.. Thanks :smile:

Scroll to see replies

They used you for free labour.
Your thread makes my eyes hurt, paragraphs please. :smile:
Reply 3
If they really wanted to hire someone they'd probably advertise.

Posted from TSR Mobile
They messed you up and used you for a free extra pair of hands. Don't feel gutted and learn from it.

Good luck.
Reply 5
Hmm.. Dont understand why they would do that - makes me so angry that they could use people like that..
Original post by Wired_1800
They messed you up and used you for a free extra pair of hands. Don't feel gutted and learn from it.

Good luck.
Reply 6
They told me when I was getting my hair done that they were looking for someone..
Original post by Impressive
If they really wanted to hire someone they'd probably advertise.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
So you think the likely hood of a job is low?

Original post by DiddyDec
They used you for free labour.
Reply 8
I'm so sorry as I said I'm new to this and it transferred onto another post, so it removed the paragraphs :frown:
Original post by Jonsmith98
Your thread makes my eyes hurt, paragraphs please. :smile:
Original post by jeevan12
So you think the likely hood of a job is low?

Yep
Hmm.. Dont understand why they would do that - makes me so angry that they could use people like that..

It happens a lot especially with unpaid internships. You are lucky that it was 2.5 hours. Some people have worked for 3 months on unpaid work experience to get jobs afterwards and they were disappointed.
Reply 11
Yeah, maybe it was a lucky escape after all!
It happens a lot especially with unpaid internships. You are lucky that it was 2.5 hours. Some people have worked for 3 months on unpaid work experience to get jobs afterwards and they were disappointed.
They told me when I was getting my hair done that they were looking for someone..

She said she'll say a good word. That's it.

Clearly, she is not someone who manages this entire employers' application process.

You may want to apply in a month or two if you won't hear anything back. Or you can call them everyday asking for any available positions - that will probably lead to your number getting blocked.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah, maybe it was a lucky escape after all!

Yeah, you should look at the bright side. On the other hand, don't reject all opportunities for work experience that you get. also, you can put this on your CV about having trial (since it is a popular place).
Reply 14
Would it be allowed to put that on my CV, I don't feel comfortable saying the place as I don't want to slate it until I find out about the job lol
Yeah, you should look at the bright side. On the other hand, don't reject all opportunities for work experience that you get. also, you can put this on your CV about having trial (since it is a popular place).
Would it be allowed to put that on my CV, I don't feel comfortable saying the place as I don't want to slate it until I find out about the job lol

Wait until the outcome is issued to you. Hopefully, you get the job. If not, then put it on your CV. As long as you explain that it was 2.5 hour trial, then it will be legit.

Good luck
Reply 16
Yeah in total I did 4.5 hours as the 2.5 hours was extra! The actual trial its self was only 2 so this is why I am also angry if they used me for free labour :/

Wait until the outcome is issued to you. Hopefully, you get the job. If not, then put it on your CV. As long as you explain that it was 2.5 hour trial, then it will be legit.

Good luck
Reply 17
Hi everyone, this is my first forum; I hope revision is going well and the GCSE\A-Level revision isn't too stressful! I'm going to restart my a levels as I don't like where I am and despise the subject choices I had taken, this means I will have a lot of free time over Summer. For this reason, I am looking for a job. I applied to a very high end hairdressers, they only have 4 salons in the UK and are well known in the fashion industry. I have no work experience and while I was getting my hair washed there a few weeks ago, the assistant told me to apply as she was the same age as me (16) when she applied and had no experience either so told me it was worth a shot. I handed a CV in the next day and was told I would receive a call on Wednesday just gone. I waited until all day Wednesday and an hour before the salon was going to shut I decided to call up as I hadn't heard anything. When I rang up they told me to come for a trial for 2 hours on Saturday. So Saturday came and I stuck to the all black uniform policy, travelled 30 minutes on the train, got there early and started at 10. They told me vaguely what to do, help serve drinks, tidy up, clean up, keep people welcome etc.. As I was doing this I got to know the staff and they all said I was just what they needed. I then told did over-time, no one told me to leave or stop so from the 2 hours original trial I ended up staying till 2:30 (extra 2.5 hours). Just before I left, the person who was looking after me, thanked me and said I will let you know on Wednesday if you have the job. However, it all depends on senior management as we need to keep costs low, so we aren't sure if we are able to hire you but I will put in a good word.. I was really upset afterwards; I don't understand why they would offer me a trial day if they may not be able to afford to hire me. Do you think I have the job and do you have any similar experiences when they have said it depends on management? I feel as if they used that as an excuse to basically say they didn't want me. The 2 assistances Were so stressed with so much work and both said it would be a blessing if I joined.. I really want this job and would love to work for this company! Please comment any experiences/advice below.. Thanks :smile:

I think you were used, which is very sad.
Reply 18
I suppose, but hopefully this isn't the case as I am trying to stay positive!
Original post by M14B
I think you were used, which is very sad.
Reply 19
I suppose, but hopefully this isn't the case as I am trying to stay positive!

Hopefully
:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending