The Student Room Group

Could you be in a relationship without sex?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Blue_Mason
In terms of a serious relationship I believe that it cannot be possible.
I mean a relationship without sex is pointless.

You don't really need sex to be in a relationship. Its just an extra option that you can choose to have.

Spoiler

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Retired_Messiah
I would say if sexual intercourse is the only thing keeping you in a relationship then it's probably not a great relationship to have and you'd be better off just making the rounds through drunken 15 year old girls with questionable sense that'd ride you for 10p and a packet of skips

I could manage so long as everything else was good.

Might I ask how much experience you have of this?

I do notice a lot of people here seem to think of it as some kind or reward. It's not, it's a mutually beneficial activity that can sustain intimacy in relationships. If you're having sex with someone you are attracted to (why are you in a relationship with them if you are not) then there are not that many downsides.

It seems an awful lot like fasting, I wouldn't give up good food to be in a relationship either.
Yeah probs
No, that's ludicrous. If your girlfriend isn't having sex with you, the chances are she's probably having it with someone else.
Why is a relationship without sex pointless? o.O
Original post by Blue_Mason
In terms of a serious relationship I believe that it cannot be possible.
I mean a relationship without sex is pointless.
Original post by Straighthate
theres no such thing as a relationship without sex...
its called a friendship instead

Sex is not necessary in a relationship. It's a choice. You can either have sex or not have it. That doesn't make a relationship any less credible. A relationship is about trust, love, understanding, honesty, etc. Emotional connection sort of thing. Saying that it's a friendship instead of a relationship just because the two people aren't indulging in sex is quite immature and definitely not true. :h:
The need to have sexual intercourse is natrually programmed in animals mind. Everyone needs it for pleasure and satisfaction although I yet still need to experience myself.
Original post by glebp
Tried it, absolutely horrible, cheated multiple times as a consequence. Do not recommend

Lets keep in mind that not everyone's the same. :smile:
Original post by notsoclueless
Sex is not necessary in a relationship. It's a choice. You can either have sex or not have it. That doesn't make a relationship any less credible. A relationship is about trust, love, understanding, honesty, etc. Emotional connection sort of thing. Saying that it's a friendship instead of a relationship just because the two people aren't indulging in sex is quite immature and definitely not true. :h:

where are your real world examples of couples who have never had sex?
i cant find any...
where are your real world examples of couples who have never had sex?
i cant find any...

How sad. I know quite a lot of people who've been in long term relationships and are are yet to have sex. I've got several friends who've been in relationships for 4-8 years and they function perfectly well without having sex. Like I said, it's a choice. Sex doesn't have to be a necessary part of a relationship. If you feel that people in relationships need to have sex in order to have a proper functioning relationship, I must say you're quite wrong.
Original post by notsoclueless
How sad. I know quite a lot of people who've been in long term relationships and are are yet to have sex. I've got several friends who've been in relationships for 4-8 years and they function perfectly well without having sex. Like I said, it's a choice. Sex doesn't have to be a necessary part of a relationship. If you feel that people in relationships need to have sex in order to have a proper functioning relationship, I must say you're quite wrong.

why havent they had sex?
Some people here are saying you can be intimate without sex. True, you can kiss, touch, share experiences, lots of other things, but unless you are asexual or your partner is repulsive, the idea that you can just have a casual snuggle with someone in bed and not want to have sex with them seems a bit off to me....
Original post by DanteTheDoorKnob
Might I ask how much experience you have of this?

I'm not sure if you're referring to sex with 15 year olds or sexless relationships but I personally have done neither of those things.

Spoiler

I do notice a lot of people here seem to think of it as some kind or reward. It's not, it's a mutually beneficial activity that can sustain intimacy in relationships. If you're having sex with someone you are attracted to (why are you in a relationship with them if you are not) then there are not that many downsides.

It's definitely a mutually beneficial thing in a relationship, but mutually beneficial doesn't necessarily lead to necessity, hence why some people can do without just fine.

People like the OP seem to imply that regular sex is the only thing in a relationship that's of any importance whatsoever, and that to me has very little difference from a friends with benefits arrangement or my proposed tour of loose teenagers, which makes me question the point of adding the extra commitment involved in calling it a relationship if you can do the same rubbish with less effort.
Original post by childofthesun
It is very possible

Mashallah sis
why havent they had sex?

Because it's their wish and they're free to do whatever they want. Some believe in waiting, some aren't ready and a few think in terms of religion. They're perfectly happy despite the occasional argument here and there. Why must they have sex?
Some people here are saying you can be intimate without sex. True, you can kiss, touch, share experiences, lots of other things, but unless you are asexual or your partner is repulsive, the idea that you can just have a casual snuggle with someone in bed and not want to have sex with them seems a bit off to me....

Very odd indeedy
Original post by teenhorrorstory
Mashallah sis

LOL ya habibtiii😘
Yeah for a while but later down the line idk
GOSH another one :huff:

I'm not sure you'd want to even touch and kiss someone you find repulsive :/

Quick Reply

Latest