The Student Room Group

Honest Opinions: What do you think about homosexuality?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hezzlington
This made me laugh so much.

Laugh in the sense of inaccuracy or the content ?
Original post by Ladbants
I oppose homosexuality. I would keep that to myself though- I wouldn't tell them or attack them for it. I just do not agree with homosexuality. We all have different opinions but we should accept each other for who we are- human beings.

Can I ask why you actually oppose it? I mean, we are no different to you? We are human and we are looking for love, much like you would likely be looking for someone of the opposite sex. I didn't choose to be homosexual, do you think people like me choose it?
Original post by STEMisSuperior.
I can understand homosexuality. It isnt by choice and you are born with it. Do I agree with it or necessarily accept it? No. Should the LGBT community force us to accept them? no. Its our own decision and as long as we dont discriminate then i dont see an issue.

That's like my mum saying she hates me for no reason? I didn't choose to be her son so that would be unfair?
Original post by STEMisSuperior.
thats racism, completely different.

How is racism completely different to homophobia? They are both illegal, yet you seem to think there is a difference. It is blatent discrimination!
Original post by hezzlington
I think public displays of affection are nice, homosexual or not.

I have no issue with homosexuality.

What I don't like is the stereotypical effeminate gay (or overly butch) act that luckily, only a small proportion of the community abide by.

This a perfect contradiction in terms. You've missed the point spectacularly.
Original post by colourtheory
This a perfect contradiction in terms. You've missed the point spectacularly.

Do explain.
Original post by Anonymous
I am going to disect this into two different parts, my opinion and what I don't like about homosexuality.

I will start with my opinion, I think you should do what makes you happy- I do not shout from the rooftops that homosexuality is great, brilliant or influential- but sometimes you need to go for personal preference and the Freedom of the UK allows you to do that. Yes there are some judgmental people, and i will admit I don't like gays making out in Public it just looks wrong to me. So to Clarify my position use your own judgement and freedom to make the decision- but keep any affection behind closed doors.

The second part of it is the media coverage of homosexuality - I believe it has gone over and above real representation this is particullary shown in Coronation Street and Eastenders where there are multiple gay characters over representing homosexuals on TV. I do not know if it is the TV stations taking the piss out of gays but I think it is wrong to promote being gay as being the best thing since sliced bread, there are more gay characters in our dramas then ever. I have recently read 5% of Britians population ( done on sample )are homosexuals If you count the total of Gays on East-enders which is very over representitive unless you live in Brighton or Blackpool you will not get over 5 gays on one stretch of road.

Put yourself in my shoes or any homosexual. Would you not feel utter **** if you wasn't represented on TV? For every gay character on TV dramas which fans enjoy watching, more people become accepting of homosexuality because of how normal it is. There really is nothing wrong with it at all. It is bloody vile that a lot of people share your views. I think your views are disgusting and you need to have a bloody good look at the 21st century and see what moves have been made in favour of us. It shouldn't be a privilege to be represented on TV and have equal laws - IT SHOULD BE A RIGHT! It's the same with black people and females on TV. We are all equal. You wouldn't bat an eyelid to a black man or a female yet go back 50 years and they were having a ****ing hard time trying to get equal rights. It sickens me that people are still against homosexuality in 2016 and can't see the good in variety.
Put yourself in my shoes or any homosexual. Would you not feel utter **** if you wasn't represented on TV? For every gay character on TV dramas which fans enjoy watching, more people become accepting of homosexuality because of how normal it is. There really is nothing wrong with it at all. It is bloody vile that a lot of people share your views. I think your views are disgusting and you need to have a bloody good look at the 21st century and see what moves have been made in favour of us. It shouldn't be a privilege to be represented on TV and have equal laws - IT SHOULD BE A RIGHT! It's the same with black people and females on TV. We are all equal. You wouldn't bat an eyelid to a black man or a female yet go back 50 years and they were having a ****ing hard time trying to get equal rights. It sickens me that people are still against homosexuality in 2016 and can't see the good in variety.

There's a difference between having one or two gays on TV- Which would be a equal proportional representation if we was to say 2 Gay characters in main 20- 25 characters which would be 4-5% which is co-incidently the gay population of Britian, I never stated in my original post that there should not be any gays, I just think they are over represented lets take Eastenders for example it has in excess of 5 million viewers a week lets count the gays in Eastenders

1. Ben Mitchell
2 Ben Mitchell's BF
3. Johnny
4 Sonia
5 Sonia's GF

Now I have named them off the top of my head out of 15 or so main characters- not counting Cameo roles. It will leave you with a homosexual representation rate of about 30 percent- there is only 5% of homosexuals in Britian so how can you justify having 5 gays on one stretch of road ? Coronation street is pretty much the same you have

Sophie
the two lesbians who work in the factory
Shaun
Todd
the Vicar

So there is 10 gays on TV in the space of an hour- that is a bit excessive and it promotes being gay to lads in the UK watching these shows at 7pm-8pm It needs a rethink 10 characters who have big roles in the two soaps are being used excessively. Maybe 2 gays per tv drama there is 5 or 6 which is unheard of if your not in Brighton or Blackpool
It's your life, do what makes you happy and people always hate anyway and I think its great and for me is no different than any other couple. Couples aren't based on gender but love!
My view is that homosexuality should not be normalised legally or by society. It should be practised privately.
There's a difference between having one or two gays on TV- Which would be a equal proportional representation if we was to say 2 Gay characters in main 20- 25 characters which would be 4-5% which is co-incidently the gay population of Britian, I never stated in my original post that there should not be any gays, I just think they are over represented lets take Eastenders for example it has in excess of 5 million viewers a week lets count the gays in Eastenders

1. Ben Mitchell
2 Ben Mitchell's BF
3. Johnny
4 Sonia
5 Sonia's GF

Now I have named them off the top of my head out of 15 or so main characters- not counting Cameo roles. It will leave you with a homosexual representation rate of about 30 percent- there is only 5% of homosexuals in Britian so how can you justify having 5 gays on one stretch of road ? Coronation street is pretty much the same you have

Sophie
the two lesbians who work in the factory
Shaun
Todd
the Vicar

So there is 10 gays on TV in the space of an hour- that is a bit excessive and it promotes being gay to lads in the UK watching these shows at 7pm-8pm It needs a rethink 10 characters who have big roles in the two soaps are being used excessively. Maybe 2 gays per tv drama there is 5 or 6 which is unheard of if your not in Brighton or Blackpool

I watch Eastenders religiously and promise you there are more than 15 main characters. I don't watch corrie but I notice you said you weren't going to include cameo's but you said "the two lesbians who work in the factory" implying you don't know their names or they are cameos in themselves?
Original post by slade p
My view is that homosexuality should not be normalised legally or by society. It should be practised privately.

Why do you believe that?
Don't care what people do sexually, if I see a gay couple holding hands/kissing in the street I'll have a patronizing "aww that's sweet" line of thought.
I watch Eastenders religiously and promise you there are more than 15 main characters. I don't watch corrie but I notice you said you weren't going to include cameo's but you said "the two lesbians who work in the factory" implying you don't know their names or they are cameos in themselves?

I do not really care 5 gay characters in one street - to get a real life representation you would need over 100 characters in Coronation street and eastbenders for that to be a fair representation
i ignore them, just cause i ignore everyone and really dont care what gender other people are doing
There's nothing wrong with being gay. People should feel comfortable in their own skin, and not be forced to live a lie over something as ridiculous as their sexual orientation. I just think it's sad that so many people claim to support human rights, but then draw the line when it comes to the question of LGBT rights.
That's like my mum saying she hates me for no reason? I didn't choose to be her son so that would be unfair?

I dont hate gays. I just dont agree with homosexual acts.

How is racism completely different to homophobia? They are both illegal, yet you seem to think there is a difference. It is blatent discrimination!

Im against discrimination totally. Except that your comparison with racism and homophobia isnt relevant. Im against the act of gay sex.
I'm assuming your being a silly bastard trying to be funny given the fact you're anonymous and your point makes no sense?

It's a joke. They just mean it's gay to be gay, which is logical.
Original post by ivybridge
As I said, this is not about two people ****ing. You're thinking about things that go beyond what is being demonstrated.

Think before you reply to things and reply according to what has been said, not accordinf to your own version.

The thread was about opinions on homosexuals.

I gave mine.

If you feel insecure about yourself that is not my problem. Maybe don't join an internet forum then.
I'm 17 and openly homosexual. A boy I'm speaking to and me have discussed holding hands in public but I'm personally scared of doing that in fear of being tormented or even being the victim of hate crime.

What are your honest opinions on homosexuality? How would you react if you saw a gay couple in the street? What's it like around your area where you live in terms of hate crime and gay people?

I come from a religious background and it's all The Bible says no, Sodom and Gomorrah and that. And so I've obviously got a lot of influence from the Bible and that. But truth be told, listen yeah. I don't think it's a choice, I don't think people go around saying, 'you know what, I'll be gay'. Religion wise and generally, a lot of people think it's a choice. I don't think so. And while I don't fully agree with homosexuality, you're no different than the person next to me innit. Besides, people who use religion as an excuse for homophobia also want to bring you to the Lord. You don't fight something you disagree with, with anger and bitterness and hate and 'you're going to Hell.' Love innit. Do you boo.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending