The Student Room Group

Which A levels should I do?

So, I have 5 A level choices which I need to choose from. However, I want to cut it to 3 A levels. So far, I have picked Sociology, Psychology and English literature as my A level choices for next year. But, I am not sure. I can change my mind on enrollment day. I want to become a lawyer. However, I want to be a Psychologist as my second career option. I want to pick 3 A levels from Law, Sociology, Psychology, History, English literature. Everyone says that Psychology is hard because you have to learn 72 case studies, but it does seem intriguing. I am doing Psychology for GCSE.I know that Law A level is not compulsory for University, but it does seem interesting. History seems difficult too. It's about The Cold War and Tudors. The Tudors seem interesting, but the Cold War doesn't. I don't want to pick the wrong A levels. Also, a lot of people say that English literature is hard. I work hard for my exams, but I know that A levels are difficult. I need advice on these A levels.

Exam Boards:
English literature-AQA
Psychology-OCR
Sociology-AQA
History-AQA
Law-OCR
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by _aishahxo_
So, I have 5 A level choices which I need to choose from. However, I want to cut it to 3 A levels. So far, I have picked Sociology, Psychology and English literature as my A level choices for next year. But, I am not sure. I can change my mind on enrollment day. I want to become a lawyer. However, I want to be a Psychologist as my second career option. I want to pick 3 A levels from Law, Sociology, Psychology, History, English literature. Everyone says that Psychology is hard because you have to learn 72 case studies, but it does seem intriguing. I am doing Psychology for GCSE. I know that Law is not compulsory for University, but it does seem interesting. History seems difficult too. It's about The Cold War and Tudors. The Tudors seem interesting, but the Cold War doesn't. I don't want to pick the wrong A levels. I work hard for my exams, but I know that A levels are difficult. I need advice on these A levels.

Whatever you do, DO NOT GO WITH BIOLOGY! I NEED MORE BLEACH THAN THE CILLIT BANG MAN OWNS

Picture-88.jpg
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by monkcatcher
Whatever you do, DO NOT GO WITH BIOLOGY! I NEED MORE BLEACH THAN THE CILLIT BANG MAN OWNS

Haha! I won't. I hate Biology.
Haha! I won't. I hate Biology.

I did Psychology for 2 weeks then dropped it for chemistry, only to drop Chem after a month
So, I have 5 A level choices which I need to choose from. However, I want to cut it to 3 A levels. So far, I have picked Sociology, Psychology and English literature as my A level choices for next year. But, I am not sure. I can change my mind on enrollment day. I want to become a lawyer. However, I want to be a Psychologist as my second career option. I want to pick 3 A levels from Law, Sociology, Psychology, History, English literature. Everyone says that Psychology is hard because you have to learn 72 case studies, but it does seem intriguing. I am doing Psychology for GCSE.I know that Law A level is not compulsory for University, but it does seem interesting. History seems difficult too. It's about The Cold War and Tudors. The Tudors seem interesting, but the Cold War doesn't. I don't want to pick the wrong A levels. Also, a lot of people say that English literature is hard. I work hard for my exams, but I know that A levels are difficult. I need advice on these A levels.

Exam Boards:
English literature-AQA
Psychology-OCR
Sociology-AQA
History-AQA
Law-OCR

To get into most good universities for law (which is very competitive) you generally need two facilitating subjects. With your current plan, your only facilitating subject is English literature. I would advise you to pick History (or Geography, a foreign language, or a science) instead of Sociology. Are you doing History or Geography at GCSE? For psychology, having a science or maths is often desirable.

For law, I think the best option out of the subjects you have listed is English lit, History, any other subject. Other options are possible, the most important thing is to have either English lit or History. For psychology, you should have Psychology (or another science or maths), and the other two subjects are less relevant. If I were you, I would consider other subjects such as Geography as well.
Original post by sweeneyrod
To get into most good universities for law (which is very competitive) you generally need two facilitating subjects. With your current plan, your only facilitating subject is English literature. I would advise you to pick History (or Geography, a foreign language, or a science) instead of Sociology. Are you doing History or Geography at GCSE? For psychology, having a science or maths is often desirable.

For law, I think the best option out of the subjects you have listed is English lit, History, any other subject. Other options are possible, the most important thing is to have either English lit or History. For psychology, you should have Psychology (or another science or maths), and the other two subjects are less relevant. If I were you, I would consider other subjects such as Geography as well.
I second this
Don't bother with sociology, it's a waste of time
Funnily enough, Law as an A-Level isn't recommended for a Law degree, as it's taught in completely different ways, so don't choose Law! If I were you, I'd definitely choose English Literature and History, as they are facilitating, and another subject which you enjoy. Psychology will be a good choice if you wish to go into psychology as a second career option. Psychology might be hard, but as are all A-Levels to be honest! As long as you put in all of the necessary work, you will succeed :smile:

Also, if you're completely stuck, you can take 4 subjects. It is challenging (I'm in Year 12, currently doing 4), but if you wanted to drop a subject for whatever reason, then you are able to
Original post by LaurenLovesMaths
Funnily enough, Law as an A-Level isn't recommended for a Law degree, as it's taught in completely different ways, so don't choose Law! If I were you, I'd definitely choose English Literature and History, as they are facilitating, and another subject which you enjoy. Psychology will be a good choice if you wish to go into psychology as a second career option. Psychology might be hard, but as are all A-Levels to be honest! As long as you put in all of the necessary work, you will succeed :smile:

Also, if you're completely stuck, you can take 4 subjects. It is challenging (I'm in Year 12, currently doing 4), but if you wanted to drop a subject for whatever reason, then you are able to

'A-level will be fun! I'm doing the subjects I love!'

Just that on going joke i'm having with myself
Original post by sweeneyrod

I third this. Look at the pages of unis to see what they recommend (LSE have a page saying what A levels they hate...)
'A-level will be fun! I'm doing the subjects I love!'

Just that on going joke i'm having with myself

Hahaha, they are hard, but if you choose subjects you enjoy and don't leave all of your work until last minute then it'll be fine! :smile:
Hahaha, they are hard, but if you choose subjects you enjoy and don't leave all of your work until last minute then it'll be fine! :smile:

Haha i'm already doing A levels, maths physics and Bio
Reply 12
Thank you everyone for your advice! I will probably end up changing my A level choices to History, English literature & Psychology.
Haha i'm already doing A levels, maths physics and Bio

Nice, I'm in year 12 doing maths, further maths, biology and chemistry :smile:
Nice, I'm in year 12 doing maths, further maths, biology and chemistry :smile:

Edexcel Bio by any chance?
Edexcel Bio by any chance?

Nah, AQA I'm afraid
Nah, AQA I'm afraid

Ah okay! How are you finding it?
Ah okay! How are you finding it?

I enjoy it, but it is by far worse than my other A Levels.. there are just sooo many facts to learn :frown: how about you?
I enjoy it, but it is by far worse than my other A Levels.. there are just sooo many facts to learn :frown: how about you?

I did enjoy it... did... Now after specimen papers and looking at the mark scheme i'm bricking it aha
I did enjoy it... did... Now after specimen papers and looking at the mark scheme i'm bricking it aha

Haha same, biology exam papers are the worst :frown: I think I'll probably drop it at the end of this year

Quick Reply

Latest