The Student Room Group

Saturday Job Holiday Situation

My parents booked a family holiday before I started my Saturday job at the beginning of March. I asked my boss if I could take one Saturday off during the holiday later on in the year but they said I couldn't due to the fact that other full-time employees had taken it before I started working there. My parents won't let me skip the holiday and since I'm still at school it cannot be rearranged. Is there anything I can do to keep my job and go on holiday?

Scroll to see replies

Did you mention this holiday at the interview?
Reply 2
Original post by Jackieox
Did you mention this holiday at the interview?
no :/
Reply 3
Pay someone to pretend to be you and fill in your spot while ur on holiday, preferably someone who looks like you but failing that, you can ask him to wear a mask and say it's for sanitary reasons like they do in China.
can't you find someone to cover the shift ?
Reply 5
Original post by ellton
My parents booked a family holiday before I started my Saturday job at the beginning of March. I asked my boss if I could take one Saturday off during the holiday later on in the year but they said I couldn't due to the fact that other full-time employees had taken it before I started working there. My parents won't let me skip the holiday and since I'm still at school it cannot be rearranged. Is there anything I can do to keep my job and go on holiday?

Just call in sick. Say you've been vomiting all night or something.
Original post by ellton
no :/

Probably would've been a good idea to mention it because they legally have to honor pre booked holiday if they know about it...

I guess the only thing you can do is call in sick but since you've already asked for it off it might raise questions...Also if you're going somewhere hot try and avoid coming back really tanned otherwise it'll raise loads of questions..

You could try and get someone to cover for you I guess.
Presumably you are over 16. Imo its worth investigating whether you are entitled to paid holiday. It mau be by the time the holiday comes around you will have earned 1 days holiday even with a Saturday job. Check with CAB. They probably wont like you knowing your rights. If its a national chain rather than a sole trader they will pay attention.

Alternativelt get your parents to have a word.

or as suggested above get a replacement or call in sick

They are being unreasonable..
Reply 8
Original post by 999tigger
Presumably you are over 16. Imo its worth investigating whether you are entitled to paid holiday. It mau be by the time the holiday comes around you will have earned 1 days holiday even with a Saturday job. Check with CAB. They probably wont like you knowing your rights. If its a national chain rather than a sole trader they will pay attention.

They're not being unreasonable. There is no legal right to demand a certain day off. Legally, you have to be allowed holiday, but the employer can tell you when you can take it.
Reply 9

I don't think they are being unreasonable if others have taken that day off as well then they can't afford to have many staff off at once. If op never mentioned it at interview there is nothing his employers can do.
I worked at Primark years ago and I had one Saturday refused as others booked it off and in my current job you can have certain amount of people off at any time.
I would find it embarrassing if his parents tried talking to the manager unless op calls in sick but he has to hope they forget the date he wanted off so they won't be suspicious.
Original post by Juno
They're not being unreasonable. There is no legal right to demand a certain day off. Legally, you have to be allowed holiday, but the employer can tell you when you can take it.

Its a Saturday job, they are hardly essential and im assuming they are giving plenty of notice. Its a poor show for them to refuse.
Original post by chikane
I don't think they are being unreasonable if others have taken that day off as well then they can't afford to have many staff off at once. If op never mentioned it at interview there is nothing his employers can do.
I worked at Primark years ago and I had one Saturday refused as others booked it off and in my current job you can have certain amount of people off at any time.
I would find it embarrassing if his parents tried talking to the manager unless op calls in sick but he has to hope they forget the date he wanted off so they won't be suspicious.

Sorry just re-read about the others. that makes it less unreasonable. It depends what sort of organisation it is. If they called in sick then they would have to manage, so the other option is for the OP to have to quit. The parents wont be allowed to leave him alone for the holiday. If the manager cant deal with that, then they better get someone else. Its hardly a big dilemma thats worth being hardnosed about. its a Saturday job.
Its a Saturday job, they are hardly essential and im assuming they are giving plenty of notice. Its a poor show for them to refuse.

And OP had signed a contract which would state about holidays, and the procedures regarding taking holidays. Saturday job or not the employee is within their right to refuse, and are not being un-reasonable by doing so. Perhaps had the OP raised the holiday up during his/her interview, then it would be a different story.
Reply 13

How do you know they're hardly essential? Saturdays are difficult days to get cover for - people who work during the week won't want to, and the part time staff are usually working then anyway. If they already have full time staff off then they already have people to find cover for and they might know that one extra won't happen.

They also will have a budget for staff. Someone on holiday still has to be paid. The OP might be more successful if they ask to take it unpaid, but not if it will leave them short staffed.

I've worked in retail management before. If holiday is turned down it's for a good reason. It's not illegal to do so and it's not poor show either. I'm looking forward to your next excuse.
Original post by ellton

Firstly you should have raised the issue of the holiday during your interview, most employers ask about holidays during the interview to cover their backs but you should always bring it up if they dont. You may struggle now.

I would approach the manager and explain that the holiday was booked before you started working here and you didnt realise that you had to tell them at the interview, and that it was a mistake on your half. then politely state that you cant get out of this holiday and it would be loosing your family a lot of money and that might work (bit risky mind but you never know).

If that doesnt work try and get someone to cover that one shift for you in return for you covering one of their shifts. so swap with them basically so you can go on holiday and the store has cover.

My store were refusing to let me have time off for my uni interview so I had to arrange cover, usually this is the only way around these sort of things.
Sorry just re-read about the others. that makes it less unreasonable. It depends what sort of organisation it is. If they called in sick then they would have to manage, so the other option is for the OP to have to quit. The parents wont be allowed to leave him alone for the holiday. If the manager cant deal with that, then they better get someone else. Its hardly a big dilemma thats worth being hardnosed about. its a Saturday job.

I knew a colleague who wanted 4 weeks off to go on holiday was refused it and ended up leaving the company as that was the only option she had.

Op could live with a relative but he should have mentioned that he had this booked at interview and they would have to honour it unless they rearrange the holiday.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Juno
How do you know they're hardly essential? Saturdays are difficult days to get cover for - people who work during the week won't want to, and the part time staff are usually working then anyway. If they already have full time staff off then they already have people to find cover for and they might know that one extra won't happen.

They also will have a budget for staff. Someone on holiday still has to be paid. The OP might be more successful if they ask to take it unpaid, but not if it will leave them short staffed.

I've worked in retail management before. If holiday is turned down it's for a good reason. It's not illegal to do so and it's not poor show either. I'm looking forward to your next excuse.

You dont know what sort of environment it is or whether its a genuine business need or the manager just being obstructive. That information is not given. If someone is ill one day they cover it. They have no choice. In the big scheme of things they arent that important and an alternative could at least be attempted.
Original post by chikane
I knew a colleague who wanted 4 weeks off to go on holiday was refused it and ended up leaving the company as that was the only option she had.

Op could live with a relative but he should have mentioned that he had this booked and they would have to honour it unless they rearrange the holiday.

They arent asking for four weeks, hardly the same as one day.
Living with a relative is an option, but you dont know if they have that.
If given enough notice then the manager could be pragmatic and sort something out.or at least make an effort to.
Original post by Natalierm2707

I would approach the manager and explain that the holiday was booked before you started working here and you didnt realise that you had to tell them at the interview, and that it was a mistake on your half. then politely state that you cant get out of this holiday and it would be loosing your family a lot of money and that might work (bit risky mind but you never know).

If that doesnt work try and get someone to cover that one shift for you in return for you covering one of their shifts. so swap with them basically so you can go on holiday and the store has cover.

My store were refusing to let me have time off for my uni interview so I had to arrange cover, usually this is the only way around these sort of things.

Completely agree. If the manager isnt unreasonable then they should still be open to consider alternatives such as the OP getting a colleague to replace them. No skin off their nose.
Reply 19
You dont know what sort of environment it is or whether its a genuine business need or the manager just being obstructive. That information is not given. If someone is ill one day they cover it. They have no choice. In the big scheme of things they arent that important and an alternative could at least be attempted.

If someone is ill that's an unforeseeable emergency. Allowing someone holiday when too many people are off would be bad planning. Many companies don't pay sick pay for the first 3 days anyway, so in terms of business costs holiday is much worse.

If they attempt an alternative for this (what exactly?) then everyone will expect that. It will end up costing the business more.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending