The Student Room Group

Declare An X Grade To UCAS/Universities

I have two options options to avoid potential failure in GCSE Geography (WJEC), but require their validation:

1. Drop the subject. However, is is too late to do so? Also, will universities be able to see that I've done so?

2. Fail to attend the exams and achieve an "X" grade. Must this grade be declared? I realise "U" grades must be, but am unsure about "X" grades.

Many thanks,

A concerned year eleven student

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AdamChristopher
I have two options options to avoid potential failure in GCSE Geography (WJEC), but require their validation:

1. Drop the subject. However, is is too late to do so? Also, will universities be able to see that I've done so?

2. Fail to attend the exams and achieve an "X" grade. Must this grade be declared? I realise "U" grades must be, but am unsure about "X" grades.

Many thanks,

No, you cannot declare a result for an exam you did not sit.
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
No, you cannot declare a result for an exam you did not sit.

Oh, wow. So it is entirely preferrable to not attend the exam and achieve an X grade and not have it count against me than attend, achieve a U and have it haunt my academic career?

Thanks a lot.
Oh, wow. So it is entirely preferrable to not attend the exam and achieve an X grade and not have it count against me than attend, achieve a U and have it haunt my academic career?

Thanks a lot.

Only you and your school can decide that. I would think it is highly unlikely you would get a U, as they are pretty rare, and in any case, one failed but irrelevant GCSE will make no difference to your Ucas application. Universities don't punish applicants for the rest of their lives for one mistake at the age of 16 as a general rule. I'd be telling you to sit it, if I were your teacher, but that's a matter for whoever it is.
Reply 4

Many thanks,

Why can't you do the exam, if you don't mind me asking?
Only you and your school can decide that. I would think it is highly unlikely you would get a U, as they are pretty rare, and in any case, one failed but irrelevant GCSE will make no difference to your Ucas application. Universities don't punish applicants for the rest of their lives for one mistake at the age of 16 as a general rule. I'd be telling you to sit it, if I were your teacher, but that's a matter for whoever it is.

Okay, thanks a lot. I could most likely achieve a C grade but feel that would tarnish the remainder of my results. I'll have to consider the wonderful advice you've provided me.

Many thanks.
Original post by luciie
Why can't you do the exam, if you don't mind me asking?

I can, I simply have an apathy for the subject and know nothing; the exam is in a week or so. Decisions.
Okay, thanks a lot. I could most likely achieve a C grade but feel that would tarnish the remainder of my results. I'll have to consider the wonderful advice you've provided me.

Many thanks.

Having one C grade on your application will not tarnish your application!

Hmm, okay. Do you know anything in regards to dropping a subject? Is it too late to do so and will potential universities know?
Reply 9
Does Geography not have coursework? I'm certain when I was taking my GCSEs that coursework was part of it. If you do have coursework and do not sit the exam you will be awarded a grade U. However, if you don't have coursework and you don't sit the exam no grade can be awarded hence 'X'. Hope all goes well anyway.

Good luck.
Unless you plan on studying Geography in the future I doubt anyone will care.
Reply 11

Unis don't really care about GCSEs to be honest anyway. They really have no purpose in the working world.
Original post by NHM
Does Geography not have coursework? I'm certain when I was taking my GCSEs that coursework was part of it. If you do have coursework and do not sit the exam you will be awarded a grade U. However, if you don't have coursework and you don't sit the exam no grade can be awarded hence 'X'. Hope all goes well anyway.

Good luck.

Oh lord, I may have forgotten about that. I achieved As in the coursework (somehow).

However, "X is given to GCSE candidates who failed to sit more than 50% of their exams for that subject," seems to suggest such a grade disregards coursework altogether.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
Reply 13
Oh lord, I may have forgotten about that. I achieved As in the coursework (somehow).

However, "X is given to GCSE candidates who failed to sit more than 50% of their exams for that subject," seems to suggest such a grade disregards coursework altogether.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

If you got an A in your coursework, I'm sure you will do well in the exam.
Hmm, okay. Do you know anything in regards to dropping a subject? Is it too late to do so and will potential universities know?

GCSE grades are not sent to Ucas as A levels are. As to dropping a subject, that is for your school to decide. I think you will have a struggle on your hands.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Sit the exam.
Original post by NHM
If you got an A in your coursework, I'm sure you will do well in the exam.

Honestly, anybody can excel in coursework if time is invested. I know nothing about the topics to be examined on. :/

Thanks.
Original post by NHM
Unis don't really care about GCSEs to be honest anyway. They really have no purpose in the working world.

I agree that geography is unlikely to make or break a job, but if you don't have grade C or above at English and maths, that is a totally different story.
I agree that geography is unlikely to make or break a job, but if you don't have grade C or above at English and maths, that is a totally different story.

I planned to utilise the time spared from dropping/failing to attend geography to revise subjects which I have yet to begin revision for, namely computer science, maths, English literature and history. :/

What about one B and one C, if the rest are A*s/As? :holmes:

Quick Reply

Latest