The Student Room Group

AQA MEST 1 section B cross media case study help- 2016!

Has anyone else started doing their case study for section B??
I'm very confused if I can cross over between films and shows eg. do two films and one show I haven't seen anywhere that says you can't by unsure if it would be a good idea as the show has a lot to say in terms of representation but I feel the films would be better in terms of marketing???

What have you all done??
Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

You can also find the Exam Thread list for A-levels here and GCSE here. :dumbells:

Just quoting in Puddles the Monkey so she can move the thread if needed :h:

Spoiler

Reply 2
My teacher has recomended to use something in the news that is contemporary as it is easier to talk about across all three platforms rather than films.

As we are required to use at least 3 case studies; I am using the Paris Attacks as my main study, the FAKE, miscirculation of information regarding the Bracknell Bombings as well as the Boston Bombings. Im also considering, the release of The HP 2 part play to slip in.

I also recommend for you to practice lots in timed conditions and get your teacher to mark it - spend no longer than 10mins per media platform. If you don't cover all 3 you won't get over a 'D'.

I have stuck to this plan and managed to get an 'A' every time.

Original post by lilyolivia123
Has anyone else started doing their case study for section B??
I'm very confused if I can cross over between films and shows eg. do two films and one show I haven't seen anywhere that says you can't by unsure if it would be a good idea as the show has a lot to say in terms of representation but I feel the films would be better in terms of marketing???

What have you all done??
Thanks
I'm doing Sitcoms and specifically Bad Edu, The Inbetweeners and Two Pints.

The section a text is definitely moving image or website my teacher said. What moving image text or website do you think it'll be?
Original post by dawideksoltysik
I'm doing Sitcoms and specifically Bad Edu, The Inbetweeners and Two Pints.

The section a text is definitely moving image or website my teacher said. What moving image text or website do you think it'll be?

Not too sure tbh :frown: although one of my teachers thinks it could be print!
Not too sure tbh :frown: although one of my teachers thinks it could be print!

No it's defientley moving image because they contacted my school we need a screen for the examination and therefore it must be moving image. If it was print, we wouldn't need a screen and it would be printed for us.
No it's defientley moving image because they contacted my school we need a screen for the examination and therefore it must be moving image. If it was print, we wouldn't need a screen and it would be printed for us.

Wow really!! That's really helpful! Although is this the first year your school has taught that spec though? Our school has always done it in a classroom with a projector print or moving image do you think AQA would just say that to everyone every year though bc otherwise they would be essentially telling everyone that it's moving image!! I'm going to ask my teacher if that every year they say they need a projector! I really want it to be moving image :smile:
Wow really!! That's really helpful! Although is this the first year your school has taught that spec though? Our school has always done it in a classroom with a projector print or moving image do you think AQA would just say that to everyone every year though bc otherwise they would be essentially telling everyone that it's moving image!! I'm going to ask my teacher if that every year they say they need a projector! I really want it to be moving image :smile:

Yes, we're a brand new school and my year group is the first to do AS! But our teacher has taught Alevel Media for real long time, the last time she taught her class was the 2012 Never Unknowingly Undersold John Lewis Advert before she moved to London to our school. She said that it is most probably moving image as it is really hard for them to get the rights and copyright for websites. Last time they did print they didnt say a projector was needed though she said and that was in 2013 I think? Since then it's been moving image all the time. I'm only worried because you see so many magazines online now and what if they say 'due to the digital era, magazines have moved online....' and we have a print thing on a website?

What did you get for coursework though? I got 78/80 and that was a really high A.
Yes, we're a brand new school and my year group is the first to do AS! But our teacher has taught Alevel Media for real long time, the last time she taught her class was the 2012 Never Unknowingly Undersold John Lewis Advert before she moved to London to our school. She said that it is most probably moving image as it is really hard for them to get the rights and copyright for websites. Last time they did print they didnt say a projector was needed though she said and that was in 2013 I think? Since then it's been moving image all the time. I'm only worried because you see so many magazines online now and what if they say 'due to the digital era, magazines have moved online....' and we have a print thing on a website?

What did you get for coursework though? I got 78/80 and that was a really high A.

Oh god! a print on the projector would be a nightmare, and I got 65/80
my evaluation really bought me down :frown: the highest in the class was 15 marks but that person got 60/60 for the coursework and the video they done was amazing! I believe it's a high B, and I'm fine with that as I've been concentrating on geography and biology so much this year as geography is also an AS and one of my exams is a few days before media and one is the day after!
Yeah I got I got 12/12 for Research 45/45 for production and 18/20 for Evaluation. I was so upset I didn't get full marks :frown:

I also do geography - do you do AQA and if so what topics?
I do Rivers, Glaciers, Population and Energy. Geography is really hard and in my last mock I got 55/120 in Unit 1 and 45/50 in Unit 2.
Yeah, Geography Unit 1 for AQA is Tuesday 17th and Media is Thursday 19th
AHHHH! It's too real :frown:
Yeah I got I got 12/12 for Research 45/45 for production and 18/20 for Evaluation. I was so upset I didn't get full marks :frown:

I also do geography - do you do AQA and if so what topics?
I do Rivers, Glaciers, Population and Energy. Geography is really hard and in my last mock I got 55/120 in Unit 1 and 45/50 in Unit 2.
Yeah, Geography Unit 1 for AQA is Tuesday 17th and Media is Thursday 19th
AHHHH! It's too real :frown:

I do edexcel and a geography and a exam on the 17th and 20th but I love it it's my favourite subject
I do edexcel and a geography and a exam on the 17th and 20th but I love it it's my favourite subject

My exam for geography is at the same time!
Guys, some things to focus on before Thursday 19th May!

>Analyse a variety of game trailers, examples include halo etc
>Analyse this trailer: Hardcore Henry
>Deadpool
>Music Videos from Late 2015, Early 2016
>Official Christmas Ads, eg,Sainsburys or Asda
>Just Recap websites we've done in class from April

That's what my teacher suggested, anything else guys?
Guys, some things to focus on before Thursday 19th May!

>Analyse a variety of game trailers, examples include halo etc
>Analyse this trailer: Hardcore Henry
>Deadpool
>Music Videos from Late 2015, Early 2016
>Official Christmas Ads, eg,Sainsburys or Asda
>Just Recap websites we've done in class from April

That's what my teacher suggested, anything else guys?

Great suggestions! Thank you
Hi guys,

Key ideas before 19th!
I got 79/80 in my coursework. 12/12 on Research, 45/45 on Productions and 19/20 on Evaluation

- Above suggestions are great but also integrate key media quotes/theories in your responses. Since my class in doing Documentary in particular, we have been advised of different quotes (Dyer, Chomsky, McQuail, Nichols, Gauntlet, Bazin, Kruger etc...) For Level 4 (25-32), you need to have a confident understanding and application of media/issues/theories/debates.

- Don't forget your facts/statistics regarding your product/text, i.e if you're analyzing how the e-Media platform shows success. You can add things like the Twitter/Facebook following of certain fan pages or the users that are active on it everyday, such things will show clear understanding and will get you in the level. This must be linked to your topic area and studied texts.

- We were suggested to know 3 texts from each platform in detail (Broadcasting, e-Media, Print) and some secondary texts. just to gain top marks and show the examiner that you're genuinely interested.

Goodluck!
Original post by FAKhokhar
Hi guys,

Key ideas before 19th!
I got 79/80 in my coursework. 12/12 on Research, 45/45 on Productions and 19/20 on Evaluation

- Above suggestions are great but also integrate key media quotes/theories in your responses. Since my class in doing Documentary in particular, we have been advised of different quotes (Dyer, Chomsky, McQuail, Nichols, Gauntlet, Bazin, Kruger etc...) For Level 4 (25-32), you need to have a confident understanding and application of media/issues/theories/debates.

- Don't forget your facts/statistics regarding your product/text, i.e if you're analyzing how the e-Media platform shows success. You can add things like the Twitter/Facebook following of certain fan pages or the users that are active on it everyday, such things will show clear understanding and will get you in the level. This must be linked to your topic area and studied texts.

- We were suggested to know 3 texts from each platform in detail (Broadcasting, e-Media, Print) and some secondary texts. just to gain top marks and show the examiner that you're genuinely interested.

Goodluck!

Really nice suggestions! Well done on coursework, I was really hoping for full marks but my evaluation lacked specific evaluation of issues I've overcome or something...I'm not too sure!

Do you think it will 100% be moving image for Mest1A?

We are doing sitcoms and my teacher told us to know two programmes really well and then 1 for extra marks. For example I know The Inbetweeners and Bad Education and I got Two Pints as a pioneering example of how E-Media was integrated with TV. My teacher also taught us KONY 2012 as a wider debate example and we as a class recently made another wider debate example of the campaigns on Facebook and Billboards of Relationship abuse - do you know what I'm talking about?
By the way guys, some more things to practise:

>News & Politics - Wider Secondary Audiences; Reinvent the genre for this sec aud?
>Music Videos - How is setting represented? Origin of Music - MTV (Rolling Music 24hr) How is the genre being reinvented (Beyone - Lemonade 1 hour long music video)
>Website Analysis for primary audiences: Perez Hilton? Recap class work from April
>2016 Olympics Advert: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQ3k6BFX2uw

Good Luck on 19th! We can do it!
Really nice suggestions! Well done on coursework, I was really hoping for full marks but my evaluation lacked specific evaluation of issues I've overcome or something...I'm not too sure!

Do you think it will 100% be moving image for Mest1A?

We are doing sitcoms and my teacher told us to know two programmes really well and then 1 for extra marks. For example I know The Inbetweeners and Bad Education and I got Two Pints as a pioneering example of how E-Media was integrated with TV. My teacher also taught us KONY 2012 as a wider debate example and we as a class recently made another wider debate example of the campaigns on Facebook and Billboards of Relationship abuse - do you know what I'm talking about?

Yeah it is 100% moving image, we assume this because, the teacher was told a screen projector will be needed!

Also, I understand, just make sure you know specific scenes from the studied text to deconstruct and talk about passionately. But I really think it's down to what questions are asked for Section B, hoping they're kind and easy otherwise it'll be too difficult.

Goodluck!
I too dont really understand section B..

The cross media study my teacher has given is the news aswell and within this 3 aspects - TV, Print and e-Media. So do you have to write about all three regardless what the statement says? Just try and link them in or could you only write about one? If so how many case studies would you say i should out with one

Original post by tank09
My teacher has recomended to use something in the news that is contemporary as it is easier to talk about across all three platforms rather than films.

As we are required to use at least 3 case studies; I am using the Paris Attacks as my main study, the FAKE, miscirculation of information regarding the Bracknell Bombings as well as the Boston Bombings. Im also considering, the release of The HP 2 part play to slip in.

I also recommend for you to practice lots in timed conditions and get your teacher to mark it - spend no longer than 10mins per media platform. If you don't cover all 3 you won't get over a 'D'.

I have stuck to this plan and managed to get an 'A' every time.
Reply 19
I'm doing News as my case study and I am studying BBC News and Channel Four News across three media platforms (moving image, print, and e-media). I know what to talk about for moving image and e-media but I have no idea what to talk about for print as I don't think BBC News and Channel Four News cover print. What shall I do? Should I choose a newspaper alongside BBC and Channel Four News to talk about?
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending