The Student Room Group

"Glory to Allah" to be plastered over buses in London, Manchester, Birmingham, etc.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kraixo
If there was a naked/ semi-naked woman on a bus advert then I would see no one complaining here.

smh... Just let them be, if you don't like it then don't look at it.

Go focus on your exams instead of spreading hatred left right and centre.

:yy:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Freedom of religion.

That to me means the freedom to choose and practice your religion to an extent. Not to advertise the religion.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ImmunetoShaming
http://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/allah-goes-on-the-buses-to-aid-syrians-6n8fmkxw0

The aim is, apparently, to break down barriers. The initiative has been launched by 'Islamic Relief', a Government-backed organisation (it receives £millions from DfID). Yes, our own Government is funding advertising campaigns promoting the Islamic faith.

The adverts will tell their target audience that to 'gather the rewards of Ramadan' they must donate to Islamic relief. Yes, this is the same Islamic Relief which recently had its bank accounts closed by HSBC 'due to concerns that cash for aid could end up with terrorist organisations abroad.'

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/news/uk_news/National/Terrorism/article1651954.ece

The adverts will feature in London, Manchester, Bradford, Leicester and Brimingham (all populations with high concentrations of Muslims).

The HSBC story is interesting, because IR is quite a mainstream organisation, they are affiliated with many international organisations, the British and other governments still support them and they have even been independently audited about the alleged terror links and found not guilty.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_Relief#Controversy_and_allegations_of_terror_links

What did happen was that Israel accused them of being a terrorist organisation for helping people in Gaza and the UAE then filed to have them declared a terrorist-linked body. The clear aim was to make it difficult for them to bank, as the big global banks act on the basis of downloaded lists of supposed terrorist bodies.
Who gives a ****. If they want to advertise their charity group ..who cares. Religion might be ********, but they have a right..I remember a Christian group was advertising gay to straight conversion teraphies:facepalm:

LOL religious ppl..
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ImmunetoShaming
http://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/allah-goes-on-the-buses-to-aid-syrians-6n8fmkxw0

The aim is, apparently, to break down barriers. The initiative has been launched by 'Islamic Relief', a Government-backed organisation (it receives £millions from DfID). Yes, our own Government is funding advertising campaigns promoting the Islamic faith.

The adverts will tell their target audience that to 'gather the rewards of Ramadan' they must donate to Islamic relief. Yes, this is the same Islamic Relief which recently had its bank accounts closed by HSBC 'due to concerns that cash for aid could end up with terrorist organisations abroad.'

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/news/uk_news/National/Terrorism/article1651954.ece

The adverts will feature in London, Manchester, Bradford, Leicester and Brimingham (all populations with high concentrations of Muslims).

That is such a pisstake after they refused to play a christian advert in the cinemas before movies because they thought it would offend people. i don't hate muslim if one religion is going to be publicised so majorly then i think others should be allowed to not just christian
Pretty sure there raising money to help Syrian refugees from Muslim communities specifically....
So if they have a right to do it, whats your problem ? There not breaking any laws are they ?
I have no issue with this really (unless tax payer money is directly paying for the advertisement in which case I do)c what I do have issue with is how this is suppose to pull down barriers.

The advert is fundermentally an Islamic one in that most non Muslims of britian won't really get what it is saying and that the terminology is within britian a completely Islamic term. Allah may translate to god but in britian it is almost exclusive views as meaning an Islamic God.
Reply 48
Original post by garfeeled
I have no issue with this really (unless tax payer money is directly paying for the advertisement in which case I do)c what I do have issue with is how this is suppose to pull down barriers.

The advert is fundermentally an Islamic one in that most non Muslims of britian won't really get what it is saying and that the terminology is within britian a completely Islamic term. Allah may translate to god but in britian it is almost exclusive views as meaning an Islamic God.

They are funded by the public so yes, your taxes are being used, And you're right, not only it doesn't ''bring down barriers'' ( even ignoring the morbid irony of putting allah on a London bus), it makes it clear that it's a message for muslims asking for donations that will help other muslims. Which is incredibly isolationist and points out, as always, that the ummah (muslims) are above the kafir (infidel) or at best a lot to be treated as ''the others''.
So it's to encourage muslims to donate more to charity during Ramadan, in areas where there's a sizeable Muslim population. The problem is??
Original post by garfeeled

Reading the article, I think they want to show Muslims are charitable people and not violent? :dontknow: Idk, I don't get how it breaks down barriers either :lol:
Original post by Erebor
They are funded by the public so yes, your taxes are being used, And you're right, not only it doesn't ''bring down barriers'' ( even ignoring the morbid irony of putting allah on a London bus), it makes it clear that it's a message for muslims asking for donations that will help other muslims. Which is incredibly isolationist and points out, as always, that the ummah (muslims) are above the kafir (infidel) or at best a lot to be treated as ''the others''.

They are not (fully) "funded by the public", they just get some of their revenue from a government body that is responsible for international aid and charity work.

Original post by Lord Samosa
So it's to encourage muslims to donate more to charity during Ramadan, in areas where there's a sizeable Muslim population. The problem is??

To what charities, though?
Original post by Camila Cabello
They are not (fully) "funded by the public", they just get some of their revenue from a government body that is responsible for international aid and charity work.

To what charities, though?

Islamic relief... The charity that's putting these adverts out there... Kind of like how other charities ask you to donate to them... :lol:
Islamic relief... The charity that's putting these adverts out there... Kind of like how other charities ask you to donate to them... :lol:

Yes Islamic Relief are encouraging donations to them, but where do these donations go was my question.
Yes Islamic Relief are encouraging donations to them, but where do these donations go was my question.

I'm sure they have the information on where they spend it on their website like other charities. :lol:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 55

Yes, charity for the ummah... how about giving the lesser kafir a hand too ?

Relief for ... Islamic things... subhanallah... bridge gaps and stuff
Original post by Erebor
Yes, charity for the ummah... how about giving the lesser kafir a hand too ?

I have seen emergency appeals on their website before, like for the Nepal Earthquake. So they do help the "lesser kafir" too.
Even Muslims don't support this idea.

But I'm not too phased by it, I just would take extra caution when riding public transport now.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Freedom of religion.

So can Jews go around London and stick "We are God's chosen people" on buses?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending