The Student Room Group

IVF on the NHS

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DiddyDec
Because it should be covered by the NHS due to the impact on quality of life.

You think that the inability to conceive a child cannot impact on a persons quality of life?

Also, a broken leg will hardly impact on quality of life, the main reason being that it heals. Being infertile can last a lifetime, the pain will never heal and cannot be cured with some painkillers.
A cast is not even essential, neither are crutches. The leg can heal perfectly fine without them.
I said that lack of fertility is not going to kill you or have a significant impact on quality of life.Posted from TSR Mobile

Lack of fertility can have a significant impact on the quality of life. Just ask an infertile woman who's been trying for the past 15years
(edited 7 years ago)
You can't provide IVF for some and not others. I've never agreed with it, tbh.
Original post by cherryred90s
You think that the inability to conceive a child cannot impact on a persons quality of life?

Also, a broken leg will hardly impact on quality of life, the main reason being that it heals. Being infertile can last a lifetime, the pain will never heal and cannot be cured with some painkillers.
A cast is not even essential, neither are crutches. The leg can heal perfectly fine without them.

Lack of fertility can have a significant impact on the quality of life. Just ask an infertile woman who's been trying for the past 15years

Are you a doctor?

No point trying if you are infertile.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Are you a doctor?

No point trying if you are infertile.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do I have to be a doctor? :rolleyes:

Well, I meant that some women have been trying for a long time and still haven't been able to conceive. That can for sure leave lasting effects on them.
Do you want children one day?
Do I have to be a doctor? :rolleyes:

Well, I meant that some women have been trying for a long time and still haven't been able to conceive. That can for sure leave lasting effects on them.
Do you want children one day?

Well you are making some bold claims about broken legs as if you know what you are talking about.

I hate children and people even more than them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hovado
Course it is, what is oligozoospermia if not an organ not working as it should?

What organ is failing under this condition.

And note, not working as it should is not the same as failing.

What bs are you talking about? In many cases the bone will at the very least have to be set properly.

And there is always adoption.
It's one thing being told you will never naturally conceive, but it's another thing telling someone to pay 5k just for the mere possibility.

Should every ugly person get free plastic surgery then? Would impact their quality of life, too.
Reply 28

Or man. :wink:
Original post by brainhuman
What bs are you talking about? In many cases the bone will at the very least have to be set properly.

And there is always adoption.

I acknowledged that surgery is sometimes necessary. A cast and crutches are still provided for on the NHS, why shouldn't people have to pay for those?

For many women, adoption doesn't compare to actually carrying a child of your own and rightfully so.
Should every ugly person get free plastic surgery then? Would impact their quality of life, too.

how can you measure ugliness? It's subjective, whereas fertility is objective and can be measured. If we're talking about some kind of facial deformity then yes, surgery should be provided for on the NHS (if it isn't already)
Well you are making some bold claims about broken legs as if you know what you are talking about.

I hate children and people even more than them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah right, that's why you're so insensitive about this topic.

I do know what I'm talking about. I've broken a bone before..
Original post by hovado
Or man. :wink:

Yes :smile:
I acknowledged that surgery is sometimes necessary. A cast and crutches are still provided for on the NHS, why shouldn't people have to pay for those?

For many women, adoption doesn't compare to actually carrying a child of your own and rightfully so.

Because you can walk so well without crutches and a broken leg? Right.

And ok then, how about I want to look like a fish. And it makes me really sad that I can't. Should the NHS pay for me to look like a fish so I feel better?
Ah right, that's why you're so insensitive about this topic.

I do know what I'm talking about. I've broken a bone before..

So because you broke a bone you are an expert?

Posted from TSR Mobile
how can you measure ugliness? It's subjective, whereas fertility is objective and can be measured. If we're talking about some kind of facial deformity then yes, surgery should be provided for on the NHS (if it isn't already)

Exactly, it is subjective. So if I feel ugly, it's affecting my quality of life, hence according to your logic I should get free surgery.

That's what you don't understand about your own argument. Yours is a mental problem. There is no physical harm to you. It is all mental - "oh I feel so sad I can't get pregnant". So if you argue for treatment in this case, logically you should argue for treatment of every single mental problem someone may have.
Because you can walk so well without crutches and a broken leg? Right.

Nobody said you can't have crutches, just pay for them yourself.
And ok then, how about I want to look like a fish. And it makes me really sad that I can't. Should the NHS pay for me to look like a fish so I feel better?

You're comparing infertility to looking like a fish? Seriously?
Nobody said you can't have crutches, just pay for them yourself.

You're comparing infertility to looking like a fish? Seriously?

Yes. Read my other post. You don't seem to understand your own argument.

You seem to be under the impression that this particular problem is the biggest problem ever.

I am just pointing out that using your own logic, everyone has the right to have their own problem addressed for, for free, by the NHS.
So because you broke a bone you are an expert?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Did I say I was an expert?

Taken from the NHS website:
' If the broken bone is still in position, you'll usually just need a plaster cast. This holds the bone in place so it can heal. If there's a lot of swelling, you may just have a splint or cast around the back half of your leg until the swelling goes down. A full cast can be fitted a few days later.'

This is all I've said. You'll probably just need a cast and some crutches. Sometimes surgery is necessary if the leg is out of place
In my opinion, IVF should be a very speficic and special form of NHS care. As such, cases should be reviewed individually and depending on circumstances, it could be offered. For children for gay couples and so on, I'm not sure I think it's something the country's tax payers should fund. I can understand compassionate grounds to give IVF to infertile couples but I think you should probably have to pay for it yourself. However, I don't care very much either way.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending