The Student Room Group

Why such violent attacks against the RAC ?

I was watching a youtube video about the RAC and mostly they're there to help people who break down but I saw on youtube how RAC members were being attacked by rioters in Belfast. People were throwing Molotov cocktails at them and other missiles.

Why such hate against car mechanics who help people? I heard in Northern Ireland that they had to drive armoured recovery vehicles, could it be that a lot of RAC members are do policing duties too? Or is it that people broken down are at risk from car jacking and that the RAC have to protect them.

I've seen the RAC operating in Southampton which is a violent city but they just drive normal vehicles don't need guns and nobody attacks them there. So what's going on?
Could it be that RAC also stands for Royal Austrian Constabulary and people think they are Austrian police?
I know the RAC originated in Austria.
Original post by Ambitious1999
I was watching a youtube video about the RAC and mostly they're there to help people who break down but I saw on youtube how RAC members were being attacked by rioters in Belfast. People were throwing Molotov cocktails at them and other missiles.

Why such hate against car mechanics who help people? I heard in Northern Ireland that they had to drive armoured recovery vehicles, could it be that a lot of RAC members are do policing duties too? Or is it that people broken down are at risk from car jacking and that the RAC have to protect them.

I've seen the RAC operating in Southampton which is a violent city but they just drive normal vehicles don't need guns and nobody attacks them there. So what's going on?

Have you got the link?
I expect it's because the R stands for Royal which probably doesn't go down too well with the republicans.

EDIT: But maybe you're confusing them with the RUC, which used to be the name of the police in Northern Ireland. It has since been renamed.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by KCLeblanc
But maybe you're confusing them with the RUC, which used to be the name of the police in Northern Ireland. It has since been renamed.
Or Royal Armoured Corps.
I suspect the OP is having a laugh. Or somebody is having a laugh at their expense
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by mphysical
Or Royal Armoured Corps.
I suspect the OP is having a laugh. Or somebody is having a laugh at their expense

Makes sense that the RAC are army veterans. Most RAC members I know are ex-squaddies. Bit like British telecom, a lot of their staff are in the reserved forces and TA. And a lot of paramedics are ex Armed forces or reservists.

Quick Reply

Latest