The Student Room Group

Edexcel IAL Chemistry (WCH06/01) Chemistry Laboratory Skills II - 10th May 2016

Hi all
couldnt find a thread on this so decided to create one hows prep?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I have a question for calculating enthalpy changes when do we consider the mass of the solid added to the solution? when do we consider just the mass of the solution? and when do we consider the combined mass? In the equation Q= mc(deltaT)
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Reply 3
Bumping again need help 😯😢

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Well no help yet I will attach an example question

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Saad69
I have a question for calculating enthalpy changes when do we consider the mass of the solid added to the solution? when do we consider just the mass of the solution? and when do we consider the combined mass? In the equation Q= mc(deltaT)

we only take the mass of the solution. if the other reactant added was a solid we do not consider it but if it was also a solution we add the solutions up (their volumes)
idk hope that was clear
Reply 6
Original post by pondsteps
we only take the mass of the solution. if the other reactant added was a solid we do not consider it but if it was also a solution we add the solutions up (their volumes)
idk hope that was clear

I got the first part saying that only solid masses are considered could u explain the 2nd part again about volumes

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Saad69
I got the first part saying that only solid masses are considered could u explain the 2nd part again about volumes

Posted from TSR Mobile

wait no u got me wrong! i meant when in the rule it is m*c* delta T. so for the mass in the rule we use the volume of the solution and put it as it is for the mass since we assume that the density is 1.. whenever given in the question mass of solid, forget about it in the rule since we only consider solutions..
eg. 5g of zinc added to 10cm3 of sodium hydroxide
the mass used in mcdeltaT is 10

10cm3 of sodium hydroxide added to 50 cm3 of hcl
the mass used here is 60 cm3
Reply 8
We consider the combined mass when we're adding something aqueous to another anquous reagent. Or else we just consider the mass or the aqueous reagent, since it has the most significant heat capacity ( absorb most of the heat)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
:3 so how's prep everyone? Chem's pretty good for me but physics is giving me a hard time

Posted from TSR Mobile
[QUOTE="-Akuma-;64672505"]:3 so how's prep everyone? Chem's pretty good for me but physics is giving me a hard time

Posted from TSR Mobile[/QUOTE
Same chem is going well, but biooo ugh I hate it. My exam is today :frown:
Reply 11
Good luck with bio!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Good luck to you :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by -Akuma-
:3 so how's prep everyone? Chem's pretty good for me but physics is giving me a hard time

Posted from TSR Mobile

same here! physics is the worst!:frown:
Reply 14
Original post by Nethmioysters
same here! physics is the worst!:frown:

physics unit 3 is not that tough for me ask me any doubts u may have from it :smile:
Original post by Saad69
physics unit 3 is not that tough for me ask me any doubts u may have from it :smile:

thanks! ill ask you, when i come across some of my doubts!
Reply 16
Um can anybody tell me why we add saturated NaCl solution during purification of cyclohexene, which is made from cyclohexanol?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by -Akuma-

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ikr same, physics is s*** 😱

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
why this thread so dead xD ? the bio thread was on fire this morning
Original post by -Akuma-
why this thread so dead xD ? the bio thread was on fire this morning

Ahahha Ike, any questions? Gonna start studying in an hour😬

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending