The Student Room Group

Chemistry Problem

Why is it that when you increase the concentration of an acid the temperature change observed decreases?
Original post by PleaseHelpAsap
Why is it that when you increase the concentration of an acid the temperature change observed decreases?

what experiment is this?
Original post by thefatone
what experiment is this?

A student investigated the temperature rises produced when different lengths of magnesium ribbonreacted with excess dilute sulfuric acid. Five experiments were carried out.

And, then I noticed that it seems like as the volume is doubled the temperature halved. It's like they're indirectly proportional, but why?
A student investigated the temperature rises produced when different lengths of magnesium ribbonreacted with excess dilute sulfuric acid. Five experiments were carried out.

And, then I noticed that it seems like as the volume is doubled the temperature halved. It's like they're indirectly proportional, but why?

Of course the same temperature is heating up double the liquid ^-^ so the temperature will be half of what it normally is.
Original post by thefatone
Of course the same temperature is heating up double the liquid ^-^ so the temperature will be half of what it normally is.

I'm sorry. . I still don't understand.

When you increased the volume, did you make it more dilute i.e. add more water?
Original post by Kvothe the arcane
When you increased the volume, did you make it more dilute i.e. add more water?

Yes. . .

For example the ribbon provides 5000J of energy to heat up 50 cm3cm^3

if you instead double the volume and use

5000J of energy to heat up 100cm3cm^3 then the temperature of the solution will be half right?

Quick Reply

Latest