The Student Room Group

How much do access courses cost. I dont want to take out a loan any one help??

So im taking an access course this year and would not like to take a student loan and no matter what website i go on no one is saying the FULL PRICE FOR ONE ACADEMIC YEAR.
Why don't you want to take out a 24+ loan? It gets written off if you go to university (and finish your degree). Access course costs vary a lot depending on your age and where you study. Expect it to be around £1000, perhaps more.
Mine cost around £2700. Depends on your course supplier.
Reply 3
Original post by TheThiefOfBagdad
Mine cost around £2700. Depends on your course supplier.

Im 18 going on 19 this june. £2700?That much? someone was saying 3800 smh. glad to hear
Original post by okido
Im 18 going on 19 this june. £2700?That much? someone was saying 3800 smh. glad to hear

Numbers are going to vary wildly; it depends on a lot of things. Best of luck!
Reply 5
Original post by okido
So im taking an access course this year and would not like to take a student loan and no matter what website i go on no one is saying the FULL PRICE FOR ONE ACADEMIC YEAR.

The only people who can tell you, will be the college where you'll be studying. There is no one set price for an Access course - colleges can each set their own fees. There's no guarantee that yours won't be at the upper level of the scale.

There's no point looking at general websites. Ask your college.
Wow England is expensive. For the two access courses I applied for they are free if you go full time. But if like me you go part time they cost the following:

Southern Regional Collage
Adult Diploma in Adult Learning: Social Sciences and Humanities
Accredited bu the University of Ulster
£358 (Course)
£90 (Concession)
£134 (Exam)

Belfast Metropolitan Collage
Access Diploma in Foundation Studies History and Politics
Accredited by Queens University Belast
Full fee £575.00
Concession £375.00

But you can apply for an FE award to pay for the whole cost of the course and a grant. Although the full time grant is no where near enough to live on. You can also get a childcare grant. Plus on a side note you cannot apply for a hardship fund if you haven't applied for a further Educational award (you don't need to be accepted to get the hardship fund you just need to have applied)

More information on the award can be found here:

http://www.eani.org.uk/i-want-to/apply-for-a-further-education-award/

P.s. I've been accepted on to both courses so I just have to hurry up and choose which one!
Original post by okido

Sorry I was quoting over 25's fees.

It should be about £1500 if you're 19.
Reply 8
Original post by PobNotBob

But you can apply for an FE award to pay for the whole cost of the course and a grant. Although the full time grant is no where near enough to live on. You can also get a childcare grant. Plus on a side note you cannot apply for a hardship fund if you haven't applied for a further Educational award (you don't need to be accepted to get the hardship fund you just need to have applied)

Unfortunately the info you link to is for Northern Ireland funding only. There is not an equivalent for Access courses in England. You can get help for tuition fees through the 19+ or 24+ Advanced Learning schemes, but there is no money towards living costs.
Reply 9
Original post by okido

Original post by PobNotBob
Wow England is expensive. For the two access courses I applied for they are free if you go full time. But if like me you go part time they cost the following:

Southern Regional Collage
Adult Diploma in Adult Learning: Social Sciences and Humanities
Accredited bu the University of Ulster
£358 (Course)
£90 (Concession)
£134 (Exam)

Belfast Metropolitan Collage
Access Diploma in Foundation Studies History and Politics
Accredited by Queens University Belast
Full fee £575.00
Concession £375.00

P.s. I've been accepted on to both courses so I just have to hurry up and choose which one!

Access courses are different in Nothern Ireland, in that the majority of them are validated by either Queens University or Ulster University and are typically 120 credits. Access courses in England and Wales are 60 credits, and a lot of universities will require a QAA recognized Access course for entry to their courses - https://www.accesstohe.ac.uk/Pages/Default.aspx

As far as I'm aware, neither of the two Access courses that you suggested are on the QAA register, but this does not mean that you won't be able to apply to universities in England/Wales with a N.I Access course - it is up to the universities themselves to decide whether or not an offer is made.

As for the costs, you should be eligible for the Advanced Learner Loan if you plan to take an Access course in England:

"Advanced Learner Loans will be available for students aged 19 and over from August 2016 (applications can be made from May 2016). If you are aged 19 or over you may be expected to pay full fees, but you will be able to apply for a loan under the Government’s Advanced Learning Loans scheme to cover the cost of these fees. However, if you complete an Access to HE course and then go on and complete a degree or other recognised higher education course, you won’t have to repay the remaining loan for the Access to HE course: in effect, the loan will be written off."

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending