The Student Room Group

Should I go to University?

Hi

I'm currently in Y12, so I'm going to have to make a decision on if I should apply to a University within the few months. I'm not sure if I want to go to University, for several reasons, firstly my mother doesn't seem keen on me going, I'm not sure about living on my own, as I'm quite a introvented person and I don't really make friends easily. I'm also concerned that my Degree might turn out to be useless, but I'm also concerned that not going to University might damage my career prostects.

I'm concerned that not going to University might damage my career prospects. If I was to go to University, I would consider studying something like History or Business.

For reference, I study History, Business Studies, and Computing, and I also did an EPQ this year.

Does anyone have any advice?
The only thing University can do to your career is help it, even if it is useless to the job you're applying for. If you don't want to move away maybe you could apply to a local university? History and Business sound great, what career field would you like to work in?
University is a highly personal choice and a fairly big commitment so you must make the decision based on you're feelings regarding it and so I would suggest that you're mothers slight preference should weigh your choice as minimally as possible, I know a lot of people who's parents weren't keen on them going (my dad included) but ultimately you're being an adult and you're in charge of where your life goes and they'll come around to the idea :smile:

Secondly, there are a few universities where you can study two subjects it's called dual honours, I know Keele University (Where I study now) offers the opportunity to do business or management based subjects and history, if that is something that sounds more appealing than picking one subject. Furthering the course choices you'll find that there is actually an equal divide between students who go out and are extroverted and introverted students who will have a quiet coffee after lectures and meet up in dorms ordering pizza to group study or watch movies, and especially as an introverted person I found university a perfect place to find myself and have confidence (I would barely speak in front of people I didn't know and I would never leave my room, and now at the end of my degree I'm doing things I thought impossible and I'm at a stage where I actually have confidence and self esteem and it was entirely down to being at university and finding my own place in the world)/

Ultimately, this is you're choice, I hoped by sharing personal experiences you might feel reassured about your concerns but I will leave the last comment on the fact that university is wonderful because you can do it at any point in your life, if you're not sure now and applications are to be done soon, then you have the opportunity to take a break from studying, travel a bit, find a job have some time to find you in an environment that you're comfortable in and when you think you might be ready to go for the degree you can apply then. There are so many people at uni who are older and took very varied path in life, and everyone respects it and you would never know socially.
There are students who are married, expecting their first child and are nearly 30, (They will be when they graduate), and they are so well liked and settled.
So try to go to open days at places that interest you, if you're lucky to have the opportunity to study locally consider that (I didn't as I'm from a rural back end town) but mostly don't rush, University is amazing if you do it on your terms. Don't let the pressures form your class or parents decide what you do, as ultimately it's you who'll be going and studying it.

Good luck, if you ever want to talk in more detail feel free to message me.
University isn't for everyone and that is absolutely fine. There are plenty of other ways to earn qualifications such as college or apprenticeships.

When I was year 12 (well the Scottish equivalent), I was really nervous about starting uni as i am also quite introverted and am a home bird. I applied for a nearby university, which allows me to live at home whilst pursuing my dream degree (Law).

History and/or business sounds like a great degree, and certainly won't be a waste of time if you decide to pursue it.

Why don't in the next few months you visit some of the universities you are interested in for their open days. Maybe by visiting the place, you will be more certain of your decision.

:smile:
Do not go until you know why and how it will help you where you wnat to go. You are talking about taking on another £45-50,000 worth of debt.
Do not be a sheeple, bit figuire things oyt first, so you gofor the right reasons to the right place on the right course at the right time.

It isnt for everyone and you cna always go later, when its something you really want to do. You could always apply and go to open days to see if its soemthing youd like and withdraw if you dont feel ready.
Reply 5
Original post by evalilyXOX
University isn't for everyone and that is absolutely fine. There are plenty of other ways to earn qualifications such as college or apprenticeships.

When I was year 12 (well the Scottish equivalent), I was really nervous about starting uni as i am also quite introverted and am a home bird. I applied for a nearby university, which allows me to live at home whilst pursuing my dream degree (Law).

History and/or business sounds like a great degree, and certainly won't be a waste of time if you decide to pursue it.

Why don't in the next few months you visit some of the universities you are interested in for their open days. Maybe by visiting the place, you will be more certain of your decision.

:smile:

Living at home while doing my degree is an option, but the Local university isn't very good for what I want to study from what I have heard, but I would definately have a look to make up my own mind. That being said, I wouldn't want to go to the other side of the country. Really,

My main concern when choosing if to do a degree is that if I go into education with just A-Levels that it might have an effect on any future career. That being said, I'm gonna wait to see what I get in my end of year mocks before I make a decision (No old style AS Levels.)
Original post by Tortent
Living at home while doing my degree is an option, but the Local university isn't very good for what I want to study from what I have heard, but I would definately have a look to make up my own mind. That being said, I wouldn't want to go to the other side of the country. Really,

My main concern when choosing if to do a degree is that if I go into education with just A-Levels that it might have an effect on any future career. That being said, I'm gonna wait to see what I get in my end of year mocks before I make a decision (No old style AS Levels.)

Why would it have an effect? Everyone from your year will be the same. It just means your A level will have more value.
Reply 7
Original post by 999tigger
Why would it have an effect? Everyone from your year will be the same. It just means your A level will have more value.

The mock results I get will treated like AS level results for previous years, as they will be the grades that Universities will judge me from.
Original post by Tortent
The mock results I get will treated like AS level results for previous years, as they will be the grades that Universities will judge me from.

Still not seeing why you you should be concerned if its the same for everyone. They can tell the difference between whether you were in a year which had them available to one where they were not.
Reply 9
This is TSR man you should goto university.

Quick Reply

Latest