The Student Room Group

Views on veganism / vegeterianism

Do you think the whole world should stop the consumption of animal products?

Scroll to see replies

My personal view on it is each to their own, just don't start preaching to other people about how they're mini-Hitlers for eating a hamburger.
Each to their own, I'd rather see more ethical and sustainable practises though.
Reply 3
Original post by emxily

Meat yes :angry:
Animal Products no :angry:
There definitely needs to be a reduction in meat consumption. As the current ways meat/dairy/eggs are being given are not ethical and have massive environmental impacts.

It would be different if families went and hunted one animal for themselves to eat, because then it's not mass slaughter but this is not the case anymore.
Original post by emxily

No don't we need those?
Yes there should be a death sentence for meat eaters

Spoiler

Reply 7
Does it really matter. Eat meat, don't eat meat. Consume animal products, don't consume animal products.I think each to their own, and its your choice, do not impose anything on anyone, eat what you like how you like it.
As long as you don't try and force your views upon me then I don't have any problem.
Reply 9
Full out veganism/vegetarianism for the whole world is definitely not an option. However, a great reduction in meat production would be incredibly beneficial. Not only to individual health, but also the environment and society as a whole. Whether you like the word or not, it is a genocide. To deny that is to be ignorant and weak minded.
Would love to be vegan. Could quite easily give up dairy but meat is hard.

Probably never will though.
Personally I think we should as it's better for the animals, earth and ourselves. However it's up to others to make that choice:smile: I would recommend researching if you are interested in being vegan though, you can learn a lot:redface:
I hate it when extreme vegans try and impose their beliefs on everyone. Veganism is not a practicle way of life for everyone for so many reasons. One is that fresh vegetables and vegan alternatives are so expensive, how can you expect everyone to become vegan (eg working class/ poor). Also for people who are very busy, it's a sad that meat is the most convenient thing to fill you up for less. Although I agree that the meat/animal industry is corrupt I do not see any problem with eating animals. I do feel guilty when I think about how an animal has suffered all its life (cramped space/bad conditions/ injected with steroids) but if it were like the past where you had your own animals and treated them fairly all their lives/ hunted your meat I would have much less of a guilty conscince.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by emxily

I mean I don't think the whole world should stop - people should be allowed to eat meat if they want to and they shouldn't if they don't want to.
But I most definitely do commend vegetarians and vegans, I mean I could never live without meat. Especially bacon, like I've been a muslim for nearly 2 months now and im still not used to it. I even tried being vegetarian once, lasted like 3 days.
Original post by emxily

Yes, ideally Yes.
To be honest though, I think the only way that works is to start at birth, like Hindus. For many (if not most) people, to give up meat after eating if to 18 years is too much.
I'm a vegetarian and hope to become a vegan when I move to uni but I really REALLY hate veggies and vegans who force their opinions on people or refuse to sit at a table with a person who is eating meat like PLEASE STOP THANKS.
I think the environmental impact of the production of meat is too high to justify it. Especially beef, the amount of water used, methane produce, land taken up (and often rainforest destroyed) is ridiculous, the production of beef needs to be severely limited or all-but banned all together. Maybe something like a 300% tax on beef would be good, that money could then go on some carbon deal to encourage developing countries to conserve their rainforests by giving them a monetary value more than their value in wood.

(I am vegetarian at the moment by the way, and I have fluctuated between vegetarianism and veganism since I was about 12)

One thing that I would encourage however is the consumption of insects. If only more people would eat mealworms.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by bethanystephens
I'm a vegetarian and hope to become a vegan when I move to uni but I really REALLY hate veggies and vegans who force their opinions on people or refuse to sit at a table with a person who is eating meat like PLEASE STOP THANKS.

I disagree. If you are struggling to cope being a vegetarian and someone sits next to you with a bacon sandwich it could be considered a bit rude (if there are plenty of seats else where)....
Reply 18
Original post by FredOrJohn
I disagree. If you are struggling to cope being a vegetarian and someone sits next to you with a bacon sandwich it could be considered a bit rude (if there are plenty of seats else where)....

Yes, but she's talking about the really pushy vegans/vegetarians, not the ones struggling to not give in.
No because I want my chicken.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending