The Student Room Group

'Skill' over 'Diversity'?

Do you believe people should be judged on their ability or skill or whether one should be chose because of diversity? Its just someone said something to me earlier and I wondered what every one else thought.
(edited 7 years ago)
Skill and ability. Stupid idea to gain benefit over another person and being chosen due to reasons for making a place more diverse.
Original post by HarryJRMatthews
Do you believe people should be judged on their ability or skill or whether one should be chose because of diversity?

Skill to serve at the mcdonald's checkout.
Original post by Vikingninja
Skill and ability. Stupid idea to gain benefit over another person and being chosen due to reasons for making a place more diverse.
I completely agree, don't see why some get benefited because people need more diversity then their skill and ability.
Original post by Vikingninja

They are no mutually exclusive, diverse people will have their own special skills to contribute. You can be diverse and have a good skill set.

Are you implying whiteness equates to skill?
In before forced "Diversity for diversity's sake".
Do you believe people should be judged on their ability or skill or whether one should be chose because of diversity?

Are you automatically implying whiteness equates to skill? Diversity and skill are not mutally exclusive.

Are you saying diverse = dumb?
Original post by 6A7B5B8C3CFD567
They are no mutually exclusive, diverse people will have their own special skills to contribute. You can be diverse and have a good skill set.

The question means skills and ability or people with less adequate skills because of diversity.

No I'm saying its stupid to choose someone for the sake of diversity over skill. Never said non-whites do not have as many skills.

Gj on your **** assumption about my post.
Well you can't be racist but you can't pick a black or brown or whoever just because they're black or brown
I mean actually go for it and if and when your business falls to the ground they'll see to pick people on qualifications

Ppl acting like they can't employ others on qualification whilst not being discriminatory
Like it's a ****ing dilemma

This is UK. 90% probly is white overall
And the probability is high that there will be as many skilled whites as there are unskilled
Surely that gap can be filled with BRITISH born and raised people of colour
(edited 7 years ago)
Are you automatically implying whiteness equates to skill? Diversity and skill are not mutally exclusive.

Are you saying diverse = dumb?

Obviously not, I'm merely stating that their could be a white middle class student with AAA or a white working class student with ABC who should be given the opportunity. I am wanting to know others opinion on this? Its just someone said something to me earlier and I wondered what every one else thought.

Diversity does not just mean ethnicity or colour...
(edited 7 years ago)
Skill/ability/experience obviously. Unfortunately people are selected based on ethnicity over relevant factors. One suggested way to at least limit this is to use name-blind CVs.

http://www.cipd.co.uk/pm/peoplemanagement/b/weblog/archive/2015/10/26/government-backs-name-blind-cvs-to-end-discrimination.aspx
(edited 7 years ago)
Do you believe people should be judged on their ability or skill or whether one should be chose because of diversity? Its just someone said something to me earlier and I wondered what every one else thought.

I definitely think that skill should be as important as diversity, if not more important when hiring people, however the fact that only 20% of world leaders are female for example shows that inequality is rampant in many jobs.

The thought that white men are just "better at more important jobs like this" completely ludicrous. The body parts, race, or sexuality of a person is completely unrelated to their capability in a subject field.

Also, a woman could be better at a certain job than a male, however the person looking to hire someone sometimes chooses males over females as they are worried about the fact that women could get pregnant and want paid maternity leave at some point. Just the logic that a female who may want children in their life is at a disadvantage over males because of that is quite simply ridiculous.
The question means skills and ability or people with less adequate skills because of diversity.

There's enough highly educated ethnic minorities in this country for that not to be a problem...
Original post by Anonymous
There's enough highly educated ethnic minorities in this country for that not to be a problem...
once again your stating that diversity just means ethnic minorities when it does not. It means ethnicity, colour, age, sexual orientation, gender...
once again your stating that diversity just means ethnic minorities when it does not. It means ethnicity, colour, age, sexual orientation, gender...

My point still stands regardless so what's your problem?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending