The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

When I did my EPQ, I structured my introduction like this:

The question I am researching is "..." The aim of this project is to...

Sources of information I will use in my research include...

The report is laid out with...

The introduction is actually easier to write at or near the end of the project :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Leviathan1741

The introduction is actually easier to write at or near the end of the project :smile:

Thanks!!! My teacher is asking for it in next wednesday so I don't really know if I could leave it
Original post by ria1099
Thanks!!! My teacher is asking for it in next wednesday so I don't really know if I could leave it

You're welcome! The introduction doesn't have to be very detailed, I only wrote three brief paragraphs :smile:
Original post by ria1099
Can someone help on how to actually structure an EPQ introduction and like a break down?

Hey :smile: I've just finished my EPQ in the past few weeks :ymca: what are you doing your project on?
Reply 5
You're welcome! The introduction doesn't have to be very detailed, I only wrote three brief paragraphs :smile:

Oh okay, I need to write around 500 words so I guess that should cover it, (I hope so:redface:)
Original post by ria1099
Oh okay, I need to write around 500 words so I guess that should cover it, (I hope so:redface:)

Interesting, I wasn't given a word count to aim for!
Reply 7
Original post by QueenBee98
Hey :smile: I've just finished my EPQ in the past few weeks :ymca: what are you doing your project on?

Oh! well I was thinking more like comparing American/English music to Korean music and just overall discussing the successes of both. I don't really know how long I'll keep that idea because I want to do maths at uni so it doesn't really go ahhaah, what did you do yours on? :smile: :h:
Original post by ria1099
Oh! well I was thinking more like comparing American/English music to Korean music and just overall discussing the successes of both. I don't really know how long I'll keep that idea because I want to do maths at uni so it doesn't really go ahhaah, what did you do yours on? :smile: :h:

That's a good idea! :smile: Yours is very calm compared to mine, I did American Serial Killers
Reply 9
Interesting, I wasn't given a word count to aim for!

Really?! We've been given a breakdown of how many words should be in each part but I don't exactly remember ahahah:colondollar:
Original post by ria1099
Really?! We've been given a breakdown of how many words should be in each part but I don't exactly remember ahahah:colondollar:

Hmm, which exam board are you with? The only number we were given was that the project should be around 5000 words in total (mine was around 4300) :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by QueenBee98
That's a good idea! :smile: Yours is very calm compared to mine, I did American Serial Killers

Yours is quite good actually, I'm not sure if I'll be able to pull it off because not may people find it interesting! Also I need to find physical research which is going to be hard ahahaah :redface:
Reply 12
Hmm, which exam board are you with? The only number we were given was that the project should be around 5000 words in total (mine was around 4300) :smile:

AQA, yeah we were given that as well, what was your EPQ topic? (if you scroll up you'll find what I'm planning to do:biggrin:)
Original post by ria1099
AQA, yeah we were given that as well, what was your EPQ topic? (if you scroll up you'll find what I'm planning to do:biggrin:)

For my project, I researched the different theories for the extinction of the dinosaurs and came to a conclusion on which was the most likely :smile:

Just a quick question - what grade did you get doing this? It seems like laying out all of that in the introduction wouldnt get you as high of a grade, as it's not really the conventional way of doing an academic essay. Just wondering of course!
Original post by celloel
Just a quick question - what grade did you get doing this? It seems like laying out all of that in the introduction wouldnt get you as high of a grade, as it's not really the conventional way of doing an academic essay. Just wondering of course!

I got an A, so I guess I must've done something right! :smile:
I didn't want to do a 5000 word dissertation because I was too lazy...ended up doing a 12,500 word website instead :teehee:
Just go over the marking criteria and make a checklist
Reply 17
For my project, I researched the different theories for the extinction of the dinosaurs and came to a conclusion on which was the most likely :smile:

Oh that seems like a good topic!! Did you find all of your research easily?
Original post by ria1099
Oh that seems like a good topic!! Did you find all of your research easily?

Fairly easily yeah. I'd done a similar project before so I knew there was plenty of information I could use :smile:
Reply 19
Fairly easily yeah. I'd done a similar project before so I knew there was plenty of information I could use :smile:

Ah that's good then, thanks for the help!! :smile:

Latest