The Student Room Group

CIE History IGCSE

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Yeah i did exactly the same as you today!
Luckily I happened to revise the Lytton Comussion- was ranting on about it a couple minutes before the exam today to my friends- they told me I wouldn't need to know it!!lol USA depth study wasn't too bad as well- I did the first question as well rambling on about what caused the economic boom!
Anyone else do the Cold War? If so what were people's arguments for the Berlin Blockade world security question... I mean, how did the Berlin Blockade not cause a threat to world security?:K:
Original post by cornflakeexpert
I liked the exam a lot! except italian militarisation i swear that was not on the syllabus at all????

Yeah hahah I just talked about Abyssinia
Original post by asparkes77
Anyone else do the Cold War? If so what were people's arguments for the Berlin Blockade world security question... I mean, how did the Berlin Blockade not cause a threat to world security?:K:

Tbh I am regretting not doing the Cold War section now, opted for causes of WW2 and league of nstions

i argued about its relative importance i.e the zoning of Germany was more serious. I also said that, given it went on for nearly a year (i think, lol) that showed it wasn't that urgent so was not as serious a threat as many thought, as neither side thought it urgent enough to solve sooner. I also said it wasn't serious for non European nations which may have been stretching it a bit...
i argued about its relative importance i.e the zoning of Germany was more serious. I also said that, given it went on for nearly a year (i think, lol) that showed it wasn't that urgent so was not as serious a threat as many thought, as neither side thought it urgent enough to solve sooner. I also said it wasn't serious for non European nations which may have been stretching it a bit...

I (perhaps, depends on how the question was worded 0.0) made the mistake of not addressing other factors which could have caused a spike in world tensions... I talked about Mutually Assured Destruction and how neither nation would have used nukes because of the blockade, that the allied determination though Berlin airlift showed that intervention or direct conflict was futile for Stalin (this averted war, according to me XD) and something about the GDR and FGR... not my best question...
Does anyone have an unofficial mark scheme?
I (perhaps, depends on how the question was worded 0.0) made the mistake of not addressing other factors which could have caused a spike in world tensions... I talked about Mutually Assured Destruction and how neither nation would have used nukes because of the blockade, that the allied determination though Berlin airlift showed that intervention or direct conflict was futile for Stalin (this averted war, according to me XD) and something about the GDR and FGR... not my best question...

sounds better than mine tbh, i barely revised the cold war so was a little irritated when it came up! I don't think i even mentioned Stalin or Truman's names, whoops
sounds better than mine tbh, i barely revised the cold war so was a little irritated when it came up! I don't think i even mentioned Stalin or Truman's names, whoops

Last year's grade boundaries were low, judging by Twitter, I'm hoping this years are lower... Still got the source paper though

Also, did anyone do coursework as opposed to paper 4? 0.o
Last year's grade boundaries were low, judging by Twitter, I'm hoping this years are lower... Still got the source paper though

Also, did anyone do coursework as opposed to paper 4? 0.o

no, sadly - more exams for me aha! and for paper 2 my teacher told me an A* is only 70% so i think it'll be fine!
Reply 50
Original post by emilyy_elizabeth
Is anyone here doing CIE history? Next monday is the main paper and tbh I'm really scared. For core topics i'm doing chapters 1-3 so The treaty of Versailles, The league of nations and causes of WW2. For depth i'm doing USA. Just wanted to know how everyone is getting along

I'm doing CIE A-Level History currently.
Does anyone happen to remember what the questions exactly were and how they were worded? Particularly the Cold War one thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 52

I said that it was easily bypassed by flying in supplies and for my second point I said that the fact that it went on for months without changing showed that it wasn't urgent and therefore not much of a threat.
Does anyone happen to remember what the questions exactly were and how they were worded? Particularly the Cold War one thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

a) What issues were discussed at the Yalta and Potsdam Conferences?
b) Why was it important for Truman to introduce the policy of containment?
c) "The Berlin Blockade was a serious threat to global peace". How far do you agree? Explain your answer.Or words to that effect
I did questions 5,7 and 11 as well(although I did question 7 first then went back to five. I found it annoying that question 8 was just on Korea which I hadn't revised enough and there was nothing On Cuba or Vietnam or for that fact the ToV either..

Posted from TSR Mobile

a) Describe the work of the Lytton commission (lol)
b) Why did Japan invade Manchuria?
c) How far was the League's failure a result of its organisation and how far was it a result of its membership?
again, approximate wording
I also remember the Weimar germany and Nazi Germany ones but idk if anyone wants them, I do have a pretty good memory though
Reply 57
Original post by saraetcetera
Just finished my exam, P12.
I did quite well but I was so mad that there was no question on Versailles. Depth Study Germany was easyyyy though :smile:

did you do the question on the League??? I accidentally said that the Manchurian invasion was in 1936 and I feel so bad because I feel like I'll do terribly now because i got the date wrong :frown:((
Reply 58
I also remember the Weimar germany and Nazi Germany ones but idk if anyone wants them, I do have a pretty good memory though
on the league 4,6,10 questions i said that the manchurian invasion was in 1936 and for the 1 marker i said that germany joined the league in 1924 (when it was 1926 :frown:( ) and I also talked about the League's failures when addressing it's organisation because i thought it meant organisation in terms of how organised//successful they were in sorting international disputes. I feel so bad because i got those three facts wrong and feel like I've screwed up now :frown:(( I felt positive coming out of the exam but now i remember i got those three things wrong I'm worried I've done terribly:frown:(((
About the Berlin Blockade...

I can't quite remember but I said something about how Stalin's attempts to draw West Berlin into communism were futile because of the US airlift and that was why the plan was abandoned 11 months later when it was basically ineffective. Hence, it didn't pose that much of a threat because the US response prevented the blockade from actually working and Stalin chose not to escalate the situation any more.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending