The Student Room Group

French vs Arabic??

What language is more useful nowdays?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I take French and it's really fun :smile: French is spoken is several countries too!
Reply 2
if your Muslim then Arabic, its a no brainer lol.
French is predicted to have over 650 million speakers by 2050. It's one of the fastest growing languages at the moment, so it would be incredibly helpful to learn. It would also be a breeze to be fluent in compared to Arabic, which uses a completely different alphabet and a sound palette which varies unbelievably with English. It's not impossible to learn, though.

Some people have predicted that the number of Arabic speakers is around 422 million at the moment, not to mention it being the official language of Islam, a religion followed by 1.6 billion people.

Both languages are undoubtedly very widespread, and it's up to you to decide which one to learn in comparison to which field of study you will be heading into in the future. Do you have any idea? (It might make a difference with what to choose)
Frarabic tho :love:

In seriousness, I'd say French :yes:
Reply 5
Original post by BhavyaB
I take French and it's really fun :smile: French is spoken is several countries too!

I've done French at GCSE, but I can read Arabic...

Original post by mkap
if your Muslim then Arabic, its a no brainer lol.

Lol true but I wanna learn both, but that will be too much for my brains. The issue I have some apps online for Arabic can be wrong..

Original post by george_c00per
French is predicted to have over 650 million speakers by 2050. It's one of the fastest growing languages at the moment, so it would be incredibly helpful to learn. It would also be a breeze to be fluent in compared to Arabic, which uses a completely different alphabet and a sound palette which varies unbelievably with English. It's not impossible to learn, though.

Some people have predicted that the number of Arabic speakers is around 422 million at the moment, not to mention it being the official language of Islam, a religion followed by 1.6 billion people.

Both languages are undoubtedly very widespread, and it's up to you to decide which one to learn in comparison to which field of study you will be heading into in the future. Do you have any idea? (It might make a difference with what to choose)

Well I am a muslim, and I can read arabic so deep down I'd love to learn that language, but I don't know how to go about it . But likewise, I'd love to learn french too in the future.

Original post by iEthan
Frarabic tho :love:

In seriousness, I'd say French :yes:

Lol I want to learn both!
No other language like Arabic
Reply 7
If you can read Arabic then go for it! I'd still suggest French though as it is a really fast growing language. It's up to you though!

Good luck with whatever you choose :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by BhavyaB
If you can read Arabic then go for it! I'd still suggest French though as it is a really fast growing language. It's up to you though!

Good luck with whatever you choose :smile:

But tbh if you think about it if in your job application if someone put that they can speak arabic then someone who can speak french, wouldn't arabic catch your eye??

I find Arabic amazing
Original post by Anonbabes

Well I am a muslim, and I can read arabic so deep down I'd love to learn that language, but I don't know how to go about it . But likewise, I'd love to learn french too in the future.

If you can read it that's a massive barrier overcome! I'm sure it would be incredibly interesting for you to learn as it would teach you about your religion and the culture surrounding the Middle East and Arabic speaking nations. If you've done GCSE French, you've also already covered the basics and it would eventually come back to you.

Do both!! You wouldn't get them mixed up due to their massive differences and you already know quite a lot about each one.
I speak both and I would say that French is the easiest to learn and to use. Not only is Arabic difficult to learn, but the MSA that you learn is not spoken colloquially, so you'd need to learn a dialect too, and the dialects vary between different countries ..
But tbh if you think about it if in your job application if someone put that they can speak arabic then someone who can speak french, wouldn't arabic catch your eye??

I find Arabic amazing

I'm a linguist so I would find both the languages intriguing but it would really depend on where are what you'll be working as. I can see that you're more towards the Arabic side, so go for it! :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by george_c00per
If you can read it that's a massive barrier overcome! I'm sure it would be incredibly interesting for you to learn as it would teach you about your religion and the culture surrounding the Middle East and Arabic speaking nations. If you've done GCSE French, you've also already covered the basics and it would eventually come back to you.

Do both!! You wouldn't get them mixed up due to their massive differences and you already know quite a lot about each one.

Yeah but i think I will try to learn arabic first

Original post by childofthesun
I speak both and I would say that French is the easiest to learn and to use. Not only is Arabic difficult to learn, but the MSA that you learn is not spoken colloquially, so you'd need to learn a dialect too, and the dialects vary between different countries ..

Well I want to learn arabic so when reading the quran I can understand the meaning without translation. I can always learn french later
Reply 13
Original post by BhavyaB
I'm a linguist so I would find both the languages intriguing but it would really depend on where are what you'll be working as. I can see that you're more towards the Arabic side, so go for it! :smile:

I will be working as a Dietitian so I will be working with patients from a range of backgrounds.
If you're trying to choose which one to learn, go for the one that you're the most enthusiastic about, not the most 'useful'. Every language becomes useful to you as you learn it
I will be working as a Dietitian so I will be working with patients from a range of backgrounds.

Ah okay then, both languages are useful but it's up to you- do what your heart desires :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by lostintrnslation
If you're trying to choose which one to learn, go for the one that you're the most enthusiastic about, not the most 'useful'. Every language becomes useful to you as you learn it

True thanks :smile: x

How can I learn it tho?
Reply 17
Original post by BhavyaB
Ah okay then, both languages are useful but it's up to you- do what your heart desires :smile:

Arabic <3 will help me both religion way, and hopefully for in the job environment <3

How can i learn it tho?
Yeah but i think I will try to learn arabic first

Well I want to learn arabic so when reading the quran I can understand the meaning without translation. I can always learn french later

Sure go for it. Bittawfeeq(good luck)
True thanks :smile: x

How can I learn it tho?

A textbook is probably a good place to start. You could also look at free online resources that are targeted at beginners. Learn vocab using apps like Quizlet and Memrise. Once you've made some progress, I would recommend starting to immerse yourself in the language by listening to music in it or watching films/TV. Then when you become confident, reach out to native speakers or proficient learners and practise. Always practise.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending