The Student Room Group

How can I stop failing at life

So, I'm 16 and basically have no real friends just a lot of acquaintances. Having reflected, I've noticed how bad my life is going, I'm really socially awkward and thinking about it, I can only forecast depression in the future and will not be able to make any friends after leaving school.

Anyone with similar issues or someone who can offer help.
I'm 16 too and I moved to a great college last year .. but I started out knowing nobody. I understand about having acquaintances; I'm the same. I hang around with a few people at lunch and breaks who I like and consider to be friends and then have a few really nice people in my classes. I think what is important to understand at this point is that in life you have to work at something to get it. At our age it is not often that you get things handed to you, so you have to go out there into the world and get IT for yourself. Also, it is important to remember that it is OK if you prefer to be alone to big crowds of people or don't feel relaxed or comfortable in those situations..but if you start to build on those acquaintances you just might find yourself with a bit of support from them and friendship. Try to make a start, whether that is on common ground, or help in a lesson. Friendships are not immediate, they take time, but start somewhere and be patient.
(edited 7 years ago)
Well, I'm not 16 but I was 16 a few years ago! And what I can tell you is this: you are your best friend. What do I mean by that? Well, you have to make the decisions that are best for you, that make you happy. That's not to say that friends are not important, they are, but you are more important. You have a life to make, a future to build and you should not let your desire for friendship cloud that. Acquaintances become friends. And friends come and go. For now, all you have to do is kill your exams, plan your future, set some goals, and go out and conquer the world. You'll find plenty of friends along the way.
Reply 3
Original post by YourLegalness
Well, I'm not 16 but I was 16 a few years ago! And what I can tell you is this: you are your best friend. What do I mean by that? Well, you have to make the decisions that are best for you, that make you happy. That's not to say that friends are not important, they are, but you are more important. You have a life to make, a future to build and you should not let your desire for friendship cloud that. Acquaintances become friends. And friends come and go. For now, all you have to do is kill your exams, plan your future, set some goals, and go out and conquer the world. You'll find plenty of friends along the way.

I'm not really in any worry of doing well in my exams and I'm fairly confident that I can get to a good University. I'm doing reasonably well on that side of school. It's just that I feel depressed on what doing 'well' at exams really achieves. I can do well, get a job, but so what? I'll still be socially isolated, there seems to be little point in that if I'll just be miserable for te rest of my life.
Original post by Anonymous
I'm not really in any worry of doing well in my exams and I'm fairly confident that I can get to a good University. I'm doing reasonably well on that side of school. It's just that I feel depressed on what doing 'well' at exams really achieves. I can do well, get a job, but so what? I'll still be socially isolated, there seems to be little point in that if I'll just be miserable for te rest of my life.

My darlin', you are overthinking this. Trust me when I say that you will find plenty of friends. If you're keen to make friends, go out there and mingle! Join clubs within and outside of school, take up hobbies and classes, put yourself in a position to meet as many people as you can, and then speak to them. Open yourself up, be friendly, express your interests, there will always be people interested in you. Don't worry, you got this :smile:
Reply 5
So you're introverted? So is everyone that isn't an extrovert so that hardly makes you unique. There are plenty of people like us that take the more sociable awkward route in life. We aren't all depressed either!

However I can tell you the older you get the easier it becomes to overcome your shyness. Failing that there are always plenty of people that will take the initiative and begin a conversing with you. Before you know it you'll be friends at whatever job/course you end up in after school.

Edit:
In regard to university you'll definitely make friends. Do you genuinely think you are the only clever kid at school that is awkward around people? You'll meet plenty of likewise individuals at uni and again, before you know it, you'll have a bunch of friends.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending