The Student Room Group

Who hates chemistry?

What's the point of chemistry, just memorising a bunch of stuff with no real understanding to it, why don't students learn to be creative and discover stuff than to memorise equations and be a lab rat?

Edit : ... I'm just angry because a levels are not for me, I don't know I'm still trying to find out what I like doing, but nearly all my teachers are uninspiring , all my subjects maths, we are just taught the process mechanical questions, we think like stupid robots, we are not Taught enough proofs , we aren't encouraged to find proofs in maths, just remember formulas
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Fish40
What's the point of chemistry, just memorising a bunch of stuff with no real understanding to it, why don't students learn to be creative and discover stuff than to memorise equations and be a lab rat?

Loved it at GCSE
Dropped it at AS
Some people, like me, understand it and love it. It just depends whether you're more logically minded or creatively minded.
Reply 3
Original post by carrotstar
Some people, like me, understand it and love it. It just depends whether you're more logically minded or creatively minded.

I would like to think I'm a bit of both but isn't chemistry just memorising
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Fish40
I would like to think I'm a it of boy but isn't chemistry just memorising

To me once you understand Chemistry it doesn't need memorising, except for equations to do specific random things.. However because I don't find Biology so interesting that is juts memorising key words which gets really boring!
All my friends who took it forward to A-level hate it. Makes me grateful I dropped it after GCSE.
Reply 6
Original post by Fish40
What's the point of chemistry[?]

Lol.
Reply 7
Original post by carrotstar
To me once you understand Chemistry it doesn't need memorising, except for equations to do specific random things.. However because I don't find Biology so interesting that is juts memorising key words which gets really boring!

Yeah, I should focus on understanding only, I'm fed up with a levels and boring teachers, they've put me off, il keep thinking
Reply 8
I think chemistry is a beautiful subject but the way it's approached , how teachers make it work and not fun interesting is what makes me angry
Original post by Fish40
Yeah, I should focus on understanding only, I'm fed up with a levels and boring teachers, they've put me off, il keep thinking

I ended up teaching myself most of the course because the way my teachers worked just didn't stick! Create coloured dominoes to remember the names of functional groups and reactions and their catalysts. I also really recommend the CGP revision guides as they cover all the basics you need for the exam and make things much simpler and more interesting than the textbook. I didn't end up using textbooks at all for Chemistry revision at AS or A-level.

Quick Reply

Latest