The Student Room Group

Edexcel AS History Unit 1 Option D resit - 18th May 2016

Scroll to see replies

I am doing Lenin and Stalin's Russia, think it is D4
hey ill be appearing for this! any predictions for communism and democracy? the civi rights er??
Hi guys I myself am re-sitting Unit1. I'm from Singapore. Would you like me to create a whatsapp group so we can discuss and share our knowledge for the upcoming exams ? I'm doing civil rights + Korea and Vietnam as well.
Private message me your numbers if you're interested I think it'll be a great way to communicate xx
Reply 23
Original post by Coolsul98
hey ill be appearing for this! any predictions for communism and democracy? the civi rights er??

For civil rights we've predicted that either MLK, peaceful protests or black power may come up but you can't rely on that so do try and cover everything! I think it's safe to say that NAACP and Nixon will most likely not come up this year due to appearing last year. :smile:
Original post by bsbnah
For civil rights we've predicted that either MLK, peaceful protests or black power may come up but you can't rely on that so do try and cover everything! I think it's safe to say that NAACP and Nixon will most likely not come up this year due to appearing last year. :smile:

thanks! are you doing 20 c international relations for A2? if so how do you write a good essay for it?
Reply 25
What are everyones prediction for Vietnam + Korea?? :smile:
Hey guys,

If a question says the black power movement does this include the black panthers?
Original post by Kjade
Yes. The black panthers were the radical group. It also includes Nation of Islam (Malcolm X)

Thanks!
Original post by Kjade
Yes. The black panthers were the radical group. It also includes Nation of Islam (Malcolm X)

Also remember that the SNCC is relevant here after they turned radical and therefore can use campaigns such as "Free D.C. Movement" (1966-1968) and "Mississippi Freedom City" (1966-1967)
Is anyone doing Stalin's Russia, just curious has to your predictions on what the question may be? ... I can't see it being leadership struggle again and the five year plans appeared last year.

I've however been advised Collectivisation is likely but I'm here hoping for World War 2.
Reply 30
How accurate is it to say that Eisenhower and Kennedy must share responsibility for the escalation of US involvement in South East Asia 1954-63? (30 marks) June 2011

Can anyone help me with this question? Any model answers for this question?
Hiya! I've added this to the A Level exam directory thread (which you can find here). Use this thread to find discussions about your upcoming exams, and let me know if I've missed any and I'll add them in :parrot:
Original post by bsbnah
How accurate is it to say that Eisenhower and Kennedy must share responsibility for the escalation of US involvement in South East Asia 1954-63? (30 marks) June 2011

This is a tricky question and it took a long time to work out how to structure it. I asked a couple of my teachers and even they weren't sure! What I eventually did was:

- Intro
- How/why Eisenhower escalated involvement (meaning he may be more to blame)
- How/why Kennedy escalated involvement (meaning he may be more to blame)
- Explanation of the quagmire theory meaning that they are both equally to blame as neither actually had a choice but to escalate it in the way they did, with links between their actions to show how Kennedy's escalation built upon Eisenhower's involvement. However, I then countered this by arguing that the quagmire theory only applies to Kennedy because Eisenhower failed to defeat communism so Eisenhower is to blame for both his and Kennedy's escalation
- Conclusion
Reply 33
Original post by CathyHeathcliff
This is a tricky question and it took a long time to work out how to structure it. I asked a couple of my teachers and even they weren't sure! What I eventually did was:

- Intro
- How/why Eisenhower escalated involvement (meaning he may be more to blame)
- How/why Kennedy escalated involvement (meaning he may be more to blame)
- Explanation of the quagmire theory meaning that they are both equally to blame as neither actually had a choice but to escalate it in the way they did, with links between their actions to show how Kennedy's escalation built upon Eisenhower's involvement. However, I then countered this by arguing that the quagmire theory only applies to Kennedy because Eisenhower failed to defeat communism so Eisenhower is to blame for both his and Kennedy's escalation
- Conclusion

Thank you so much! Have you got this essay typed up? I'd love to see how you wrote it :smile:
image.jpg
Original post by bsbnah

This was my plan but I'm not sure if it's right! Sorry for bad picture
Reply 35
Original post by dauntlesstraitor
image.jpg
This was my plan but I'm not sure if it's right! Sorry for bad picture

Thats such a clear and detailed plan, it helped so much thank you :smile:
Original post by bsbnah
Thats such a clear and detailed plan, it helped so much thank you :smile:

No worries, if there's any other questions you're stuck with I might have done an essay plan so feel free to ask :smile: for civil rights and Vietnam
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
I'm re-sitting option C, how much content have you guys covered so far? I'm a bit worried because I still have a good bit to go :redface:

I'm resitting option c too, any chance your doing British empire and slavery ?????
Original post by TheWhiteGuy
Also remember that the SNCC is relevant here after they turned radical and therefore can use campaigns such as "Free D.C. Movement" (1966-1968) and "Mississippi Freedom City" (1966-1967)

they asked about the naacp last year so are we gonna cancel that out?
Im also resitting the exam on Civil Rights, but also Stalins Russia (18th May 2016). I agree that for Civil Rights its most likely to be on either MLK/peaceful protests or black power (hopefully) but i will be screwed if its WW2 as i know absolutely 0 for that. HOWEVER does anyone have any predictions for the Stalins Russia questions?!?!?!? I find this topic more difficult, omg somebody help!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending