The Student Room Group

Ex-Londoners: Do you want to return?

--
(edited 7 years ago)
No I wouldn't. I found it was far too crowded.
Original post by RivalPlayer
Perhaps you're happy that you left. If so, what are the elements that make your new home so much better than living in London?

Share your thoughts.

As a city, London is fantastic! But ever since I moved away, I've realised how relaxed I am. I manage to actually 'switch' off when I come home from work.
In itself, it is a fantastic city and I do enjoy visiting there for a few days. But there's no way, because of how crowded it is, that I could live there again.
London is a tough, stressful city and because there are so many people, everyone seems to be competitive and out for themselves. You see it for housing: its ruthlessly competitive to find a house share, its ruthlessly competitive to find a job. On transport everyone is scrabbling to find a comfortable place to stand or in the ideal world a seat. People are more stressed about finding a partner because being single is extra difficult in London due to the expense of renting if you don't have a joint income.

When you move out, even to another city, many of those problems die away.

The big thing that some ex-Londoners will feel though, is that when you've lived in London, everywhere else seems a bit of a 'step down'. There isn't the same amount of stuff to do, there aren't the same amount of opportunities to meet people. In London because so many people move there, its easy to find newcomers who are new like you are and want to meet and do stuff. In other cities it can be a bit harder to get a social network up and running when you've just arrived somewhere new.

Also depending on your profession, there often aren't anything like the same amount of career opportunities.
I think I'd like to study near or in there. So if God forbid I don't meet meet my firm, it is likely I'd reapply for the likes of KCL.
Original post by RivalPlayer

Do you see yourself living in London again at some point in the future?
Are you prepared to put up with the soaring housing costs, dense population and air pollution among other things for the sake of being a "Londoner" again?

I'm actually a Ex-Londerer returning. Housing costs arent actually as high as you would think, if you are renting a room out anyway. Renting a single room in London is just as expensive (and in many cases cheaper) than several over parts of the country.
Original post by MagicNMedicine
London is a tough, stressful city and because there are so many people, everyone seems to be competitive and out for themselves. You see it for housing: its ruthlessly competitive to find a house share, its ruthlessly competitive to find a job. On transport everyone is scrabbling to find a comfortable place to stand or in the ideal world a seat. People are more stressed about finding a partner because being single is extra difficult in London due to the expense of renting if you don't have a joint income.

When you move out, even to another city, many of those problems die away.

The big thing that some ex-Londoners will feel though, is that when you've lived in London, everywhere else seems a bit of a 'step down'. There isn't the same amount of stuff to do, there aren't the same amount of opportunities to meet people. In London because so many people move there, its easy to find newcomers who are new like you are and want to meet and do stuff. In other cities it can be a bit harder to get a social network up and running when you've just arrived somewhere new.

Also depending on your profession, there often aren't anything like the same amount of career opportunities.

Good summary. :five:

I think it's the job thing that draws and keeps most people to London. There simply isn't anywhere else in the whole of Europe that has so many well paid jobs. Even though competition is fierce for them and living costs are high, it must make sense overall to stay as so many people do and so many more want to join us.

There is a bit of a constant "drift out" of London at the same time (apparently Birmingham is now one of the main places that 'outies' head for), but I think it's a small minority who want to leave. Most people here want to stay, unless you're old and rich and want to sell your London Victorian terrace and buy a mansion in Northumberland. :teehee:
I lived in London until I was 18 and moved out for uni.

No way would I go back. Even if it were the same price as elsewhere, its noisy, polluted, traffic's bad, miles from any countryside... the only reason I can see for living there is jobs, and fortunately that doesn't affect me.
Reply 9
Too many foreigners

Cost of accommodation a galaxy away from an equilibrium

Property commodised

Policy makers chase economic growth at all costs

A London culture contrived via estate agents. London has no distinct culture. You should know this by now.

A massive population in transit.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending