The Student Room Group

CIE A levels

Hi all,
I am doing the paper 2 for cie as level history day after. Have chosen the International option Section C. Anybody doing the same?? Got some tips or advice for studying a day before the exam? :/ :|
Hard to find tips for cie a level history!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey..
I'm doing the paper day after tomorrow as well and am super nervous about it. I've studied both the international and european options (sort of) though I'll probably do european. Tomorrow is when I do most of my studying, so I'll probably be up at crazy hours trying to cover the syllabus xD
But I'm assuming you are a more rational student so I guess I'd suggest going over a few past papers and just jotting down points that you have, not writing the actual answer, and comparing that with the mark scheme. Even if you've done your past papers it's important because our questions are more or less the same thing repeated in a different way. Wish I could take my own advice sometimes..
It's rare I find anyone doing CIE history and I'd love to have a chat about the paper after it's over. Actually how did you find paper 1?
Happy studying and good luck!
Hey people also studying for paper 2 but I am a fan of French and Russian Revolution. In such topics you can clearly express different views of Historians both from the Marxist and the Modern visage and the causes of each Revolution are predominantly similar, as we are always referring to class struggles.

Paper 1 was relatively easy as questions are concirned especially for my option which was nationalism and liberalism in Europe. Easy questions but VERY INAPROPRIATE selection of sources.
Reply 3
Original post by Coolmeechy
Hi all,
I am doing the paper 2 for cie as level history day after. Have chosen the International option Section C. Anybody doing the same?? Got some tips or advice for studying a day before the exam? :/ :|
Hard to find tips for cie a level history!

Original post by Laklikarios
Hey people also studying for paper 2 but I am a fan of French and Russian Revolution. In such topics you can clearly express different views of Historians both from the Marxist and the Modern visage and the causes of each Revolution are predominantly similar, as we are always referring to class struggles.

Paper 1 was relatively easy as questions are concirned especially for my option which was nationalism and liberalism in Europe. Easy questions but VERY INAPROPRIATE selection of sources.

Heyyy, me too! Which country are you guys in? I'm doing section A though - French Revolution and Industrial Revolution. I still haven't even started on studying for industrial revolution. I'm gunna fail - I'm freaking out!!

Original post by ishabbey
Hey..I'm doing the paper day after tomorrow as well and am super nervous about it. I've studied both the international and european options (sort of) though I'll probably do european. Tomorrow is when I do most of my studying, so I'll probably be up at crazy hours trying to cover the syllabus xDBut I'm assuming you are a more rational student so I guess I'd suggest going over a few past papers and just jotting down points that you have, not writing the actual answer, and comparing that with the mark scheme. Even if you've done your past papers it's important because our questions are more or less the same thing repeated in a different way. Wish I could take my own advice sometimes..It's rare I find anyone doing CIE history and I'd love to have a chat about the paper after it's over. Actually how did you find paper 1?Happy studying and good luck!

Paper 1 was tough for me - I couldn't finish the second answer and the first one Iliterally only jot down notes. I have serious time management issues :frown:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by hilrho
Heyyy, me too! Which country are you guys in? I'm doing section A though - French Revolution and Industrial Revolution. I still haven't even started on studying for industrial revolution. I'm gunna fail - I'm freaking out!!

Paper 1 was tough for me - I couldn't finish the second answer and the first one Iliterally only jot down notes. I have serious time management issues :frown:

I'm from Sri Lanka.. What about you guys? Today is usually when I do all my studying so I'd better get down to it. I'll probably be doing Origins of WW1 and Russian Revolution though, so not what you're doing.

With paper 1 I feel like they're testing your ability to write fast rather than the actual content. That paper should be at least fifteen minutes longer.

Go through past papers, mark schemes and examiner reports. You get a sense of how you're expected to answer.

Good luck!
Reply 5
I'm from Sri Lanka.. What about you guys? Today is usually when I do all my studying so I'd better get down to it. I'll probably be doing Origins of WW1 and Russian Revolution though, so not what you're doing.

With paper 1 I feel like they're testing your ability to write fast rather than the actual content. That paper should be at least fifteen minutes longer.

Go through past papers, mark schemes and examiner reports. You get a sense of how you're expected to answer.

Good luck!

I am from the UK but living in Bangladesh.

To be honest I think you're right with Paper 1 - did you manage to finish it?

I have yet to finish the syllabus, gunna go through the past papers right now. Do you do the version that ends with '2' in sri lanka? Also is it helpful to look at the ones that end with '1' or '3' or are they quiet different from the other ones?

Good luck with your exam tomorrow! xx
Reply 6
Hey..
I'm doing the paper day after tomorrow as well and am super nervous about it. I've studied both the international and european options (sort of) though I'll probably do european. Tomorrow is when I do most of my studying, so I'll probably be up at crazy hours trying to cover the syllabus xD
But I'm assuming you are a more rational student so I guess I'd suggest going over a few past papers and just jotting down points that you have, not writing the actual answer, and comparing that with the mark scheme. Even if you've done your past papers it's important because our questions are more or less the same thing repeated in a different way. Wish I could take my own advice sometimes..
It's rare I find anyone doing CIE history and I'd love to have a chat about the paper after it's over. Actually how did you find paper 1?
Happy studying and good luck!

Good luck!

We were only taught the International Option actually! its convenient to study but when the questions come, we have no other option and i almost always end up skipping like a whole question!! They ask too-specific questions sometimes like about just a single event and i am not good at remembering all the details of events. I am better at generalising and you know writing stuff you can write in every other question (yea..i am not that smart..) Lol
Do you know what is most important in the International option? Any particular event?

And i did the the International Option for Paper 1 too. It was easy actually but yea its a race against time to finish the answers! As always ended up taking more time for the first question than the second one!
Reply 7
Original post by hilrho

Original post by hilrho
I am from the UK but living in Bangladesh.

To be honest I think you're right with Paper 1 - did you manage to finish it?

I have yet to finish the syllabus, gunna go through the past papers right now. Do you do the version that ends with '2' in sri lanka? Also is it helpful to look at the ones that end with '1' or '3' or are they quiet different from the other ones?

Good luck with your exam tomorrow! xx

Dont worry! I think everyone finds it difficult to finish that paper :|
And I am from India!. guess we are all neighbours haha

I do the ones ending with 2 and i think for some subjects and papers, it does seem different but it will still help to use them to study!
Reply 8
Dont worry! I think everyone finds it difficult to finish that paper :|
And I am from India!. guess we are all neighbours haha

I do the ones ending with 2 and i think for some subjects and papers, it does seem different but it will still help to use them to study!

Oooh hey there neighbour! Haha. And I hope that's the case - did you find the paper difficult? If the grade boundaries are low then that would be pretty great, but if they're high and people found the paper easy, I'm utterly doomed 🙄

What questions are you doing tomorrow??
Reply 9
Original post by hilrho
Oooh hey there neighbour! Haha. And I hope that's the case - did you find the paper difficult? If the grade boundaries are low then that would be pretty great, but if they're high and people found the paper easy, I'm utterly doomed 🙄
What questions are you doing tomorrow??

I though the paper was okay although i couldnt write a proper evaluation or conclusion for the second question. And some of my friends found it difficult.

Tomorrow i'll be doing International Relations 1919-1933 and 1933-1939. I never finish the paper!! I hope it's not the case tomorrow!
Reply 10
I though the paper was okay although i couldnt write a proper evaluation or conclusion for the second question. And some of my friends found it difficult.

Tomorrow i'll be doing International Relations 1919-1933 and 1933-1939. I never finish the paper!! I hope it's not the case tomorrow!

Good Luck :smile: I'm going French Revolution and Industrial Revolution. Yeah for Paper 1 I wrote quite a bit on Source A and B and analysed it pretty well but I couldn't do the other 2 sources as I ran out of time. And for question 1 I literally wrote note saying ran out of time hence notes and then showed the provenance and that's it. might get an E on it. How tough is it to get full marks in paper 2? Im utterly self0taught so it's not like I have a teacher to help mark it
Reply 11
Original post by hilrho
Good Luck :smile: I'm going French Revolution and Industrial Revolution. Yeah for Paper 1 I wrote quite a bit on Source A and B and analysed it pretty well but I couldn't do the other 2 sources as I ran out of time. And for question 1 I literally wrote note saying ran out of time hence notes and then showed the provenance and that's it. might get an E on it. How tough is it to get full marks in paper 2? Im utterly self0taught so it's not like I have a teacher to help mark it

Self-taught?? That's incredible! If u did part a well, it wont be that bad. Dont worry. And 'full' marks...I am not sure they give that. But good grades arent hard if you know enough content in paper 2.

Are you doing the a level papers too btw? And what other subjects are you doing?
Reply 12
Self-taught?? That's incredible! If u did part a well, it wont be that bad. Dont worry. And 'full' marks...I am not sure they give that. But good grades arent hard if you know enough content in paper 2.

Are you doing the a level papers too btw? And what other subjects are you doing?

I did really bad in part a, if anything I'd prolly get more marks in part b. I feel like I'll only get 6% from Paper 1. Yeah I'm doing the A2 papers as well - are you? I was wondering, since I'm taking all 4 papers together do I get like a regular separate AS results for those modules and then an A2 result for those modules or do I get 1 full grade?
I hope my question was clear enough to understand?

I also have A-level Geography and Economics through CIE but then Maths AS from Edexcel. what about you? I'm self teaching all of them!
Reply 13
I think i understood what you're asking. With what i know, you will get certificates for both As and A. In the A2 results, you will have the As grades written in small letters along with your final A level grades which will be in caps. So if u get an a for as and an a for a2, your final grade would be written as 'a A' i think. Okay i am not sure now... *scratches head* You should wait for someone smarter to come along and answer that.

You hav a crazy combination..I do too, so high-five! I am doing sociology, biology, business and english.. Why are you doing math from edexcel?
Hahaha, I'm a British citizen in Sri Lanka too!

We do the paper ending with a 2 as well, but I generally review the other papers as well. If it helps this is the last bit of advice my teacher gave me:

Always remember, the first question usually does not need much analysis. It is mostly factual and should directly answer the question posed with accuracy and conciseness.
The second part requires you to debate with the question intellectually. You must present both sides of the argument and evidence for it. You should aim for a 60-40% balance...please don't forget that and do not be one sided.

If they ask 'was it Napoleon's military ability that accounted for his success', you need to realize immediately that war was one factor...there were many others and mention them in the opening paragraph, as being either more or equally relevant...and then go on to enumerate in the next paragraphs, giving due place to his military campaigns as well, for you must not forget to respond to the direct question.

If the question is 'The Provisional Government failed because of its failure to exit the war' then you must state the other factors, the economic, internal power sharing etc as counter-arguments, whilst giving due preference for the war too.

Please demarcate your paragraphs well. Argue one side and then the other. The conclusion should briefly refer to the points made above and side with any perspective you most prefer...or you may be somewhere in the middle. It doesn't matter, as long as the examiner is convinced that you know what you are talking about and have proven it.

Hope that helps both of you. Gosh so much to be studying and here I am on the internet :P

When do you have other papers?
Reply 15

We do the paper ending with a 2 as well, but I generally review the other papers as well. If it helps this is the last bit of advice my teacher gave me:

Always remember, the first question usually does not need much analysis. It is mostly factual and should directly answer the question posed with accuracy and conciseness.
The second part requires you to debate with the question intellectually. You must present both sides of the argument and evidence for it. You should aim for a 60-40% balance...please don't forget that and do not be one sided.

If they ask 'was it Napoleon's military ability that accounted for his success', you need to realize immediately that war was one factor...there were many others and mention them in the opening paragraph, as being either more or equally relevant...and then go on to enumerate in the next paragraphs, giving due place to his military campaigns as well, for you must not forget to respond to the direct question.

If the question is 'The Provisional Government failed because of its failure to exit the war' then you must state the other factors, the economic, internal power sharing etc as counter-arguments, whilst giving due preference for the war too.

Please demarcate your paragraphs well. Argue one side and then the other. The conclusion should briefly refer to the points made above and side with any perspective you most prefer...or you may be somewhere in the middle. It doesn't matter, as long as the examiner is convinced that you know what you are talking about and have proven it.

Hope that helps both of you. Gosh so much to be studying and here I am on the internet :P

That does help,Thanks a lot! I've been just sitting online instead of studying. Gotta go read or do something. *sighs*

I cant remember when the other papers are. Too many papers in this one month.
Reply 16
Do look at the 2014 examiner report if you havent already. Check the paper 2 parts. Might help.
http://www.cie.org.uk/images/193301-june-2014-examiner-report.pdf

Very well said from your teacher, but the questions are going to be a lot easier! They never focus on Napoleon military suppor, if they ask for Napoleon they are goin to ask something very general like Napoleon was a successful part of French History?

And about Kerensky they most probably gonna ask why Lenin consolidated power and not why Kerensky failed! But even then you should say why Kerensky failed

I am living in Cyprus guys not neighbors hahaah
Reply 18

Cant rep you but thaank you that was incredibly helpful!

For the first question how long do you reckon it should be? Do you have any examples of past essay you can perhaps post? :smile:
Reply 19
Anyone doing Section B, the American Option?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending