The Student Room Group

AS Psychology Edexcel 2016 Unit 1

The as psychology unit 1 social and cognitive exam (Edexcel) is soon approaching (next Monday), anyone else who is taking the exam too predict any things that may or may not come up? I'm pretty sure last year's paper Hofling was the study in section B so would be it right to predict that won't come up?
Original post by zoeemmacfc
The as psychology unit 1 social and cognitive exam (Edexcel) is soon approaching (next Monday), anyone else who is taking the exam too predict any things that may or may not come up? I'm pretty sure last year's paper Hofling was the study in section B so would be it right to predict that won't come up?

Hey, Hofling is old specification?? I'm pretty sure that's not even on new spec anymore?

I think there's going to be mainly applied knowledge/scenario questions and data/research method Q's?
What do you reckon?
Reply 2
Original post by Profanity
Hey, Hofling is old specification?? I'm pretty sure that's not even on new spec anymore?

I think there's going to be mainly applied knowledge/scenario questions and data/research method Q's?
What do you reckon?

Yes gosh silly me, I was thinking about last year's paper. Do you know what kind of stuff is on new spec? I'm doing some last minute cramming this week. And yeah I agree about the applied knowledge, teacher said there will be a focus on that
Yes gosh silly me, I was thinking about last year's paper. Do you know what kind of stuff is on new spec? I'm doing some last minute cramming this week. And yeah I agree about the applied knowledge, teacher said there will be a focus on that

Haha you had me worried for a second. In terms of preparing I'd suggest you take a look at the edexcel sample papers as it gives you an estimation of what kind of stuff they're likely to ask. Also make a sure you fully understand exam terms (i.e. what to do if a question says compare or discuss) - Edexcel have a published list of these words and there meanings at the back of the new specification. Also try to take a look at last years AS UNIT 2 paper, Its pretty similar to how the new spec is likely to assess plus if you look on the examiners report for it, it contains model answers which give you a general idea of whats expected of you plus it reminds you to do things to gain marks e.g. Operationalising variables when identifying the IV.
In terms of content its difficult to say as you may have been taught different things depending on your school teaching preference etc. I'd just suggest you learn a bit of everything and produce a list (providing you havent already) with topics ensuring you dont miss any. If you want to know specific topics im learning then ask & i'll try to help :smile:

Goodluck & hope this helps!!
P.s. any predictions?
Reply 4
Haha you had me worried for a second. In terms of preparing I'd suggest you take a look at the edexcel sample papers as it gives you an estimation of what kind of stuff they're likely to ask. Also make a sure you fully understand exam terms (i.e. what to do if a question says compare or discuss) - Edexcel have a published list of these words and there meanings at the back of the new specification. Also try to take a look at last years AS UNIT 2 paper, Its pretty similar to how the new spec is likely to assess plus if you look on the examiners report for it, it contains model answers which give you a general idea of whats expected of you plus it reminds you to do things to gain marks e.g. Operationalising variables when identifying the IV.
In terms of content its difficult to say as you may have been taught different things depending on your school teaching preference etc. I'd just suggest you learn a bit of everything and produce a list (providing you havent already) with topics ensuring you dont miss any. If you want to know specific topics im learning then ask & i'll try to help :smile:

Goodluck & hope this helps!!
P.s. any predictions?

Thanks a lot!Godden and Baddley isn't on the new spec is it?
Reply 5
no godden and baddley is not on the new spec however Baddley et al is on our spec (the one where u used different word lists ). Btw do u think schmolk will come up (we learnt that study as our contempory study -u may have done something different)!
Original post by Jbaj
no godden and baddley is not on the new spec however Baddley et al is on our spec (the one where u used different word lists ). Btw do u think schmolk will come up (we learnt that study as our contempory study -u may have done something different)!

Our school learnt Sebastian and Hernandez Gill - there may be a question on your study so its worth knowing it. I hate new spec, It's so difficult to predict topics etc! :frown:
Reply 7
Our school learnt Sebastian and Hernandez Gill - there may be a question on your study so its worth knowing it. I hate new spec, It's so difficult to predict topics etc! :frown:

We done Sebastian study too! And yeah I agree it's so hard to predict. Do you know if levels of processing is on there?
We done Sebastian study too! And yeah I agree it's so hard to predict. Do you know if levels of processing is on there?

Levels of processing- As in the model or within SBH study?
Reply 9

The model
Reply 10

Also roughly how much info do we need to know about any of the contemporary studies? (I'm so sorry for all the questions, my teacher is just vague and hard to get hold off)
Also roughly how much info do we need to know about any of the contemporary studies? (I'm so sorry for all the questions, my teacher is just vague and hard to get hold off)

Lool no probs, If you want me to email you our teachers notes I can; just inbox me the stuff you were taught; Also I'm pretty sure levels or processing was old spec!
Reply 12
Lool no probs, If you want me to email you our teachers notes I can; just inbox me the stuff you were taught; Also I'm pretty sure levels or processing was old spec!

Thanks! Will do! is it weird that I have been taught so many things that are on the old spec lol?
Thanks! Will do! is it weird that I have been taught so many things that are on the old spec lol?

Lol yeah its kinda confusing? But then again just take a look at the spec incase as it may seem like old spec to me because our school didn't teach it.
Reply 14
Lol yeah its kinda confusing? But then again just take a look at the spec incase as it may seem like old spec to me because our school didn't teach it.

Where can I find the new spec?
Where can I find the new spec?

I would of attached them but the files exceed the limit so here's the link to the new spec course materials:

https://qualifications.pearson.com/en/qualifications/edexcel-a-levels/psychology-2015.coursematerials.html#filterQuery=category:Pearson-UK:Category%2FSpecification-and-sample-assessmentsJust make sure you don't mistake the A level for AS - I don't mean to sound patronising but I know a few people that have made that mistake haha.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending